Callaway XR16 Fairway Wood Preview

I wish they would have left of the alignment on the top of the crown, but a solid looking club.

not sure it can replace the XR pro in my bag now but can't hurt to try.

Will there be a hybrid

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I guarantee you that the lie angles will be flatter and the face angles will be more open on the Pro model which does not offer high loft versions.

The OEMs think that everybody who plays high loft fairway woods needs upright lie angles and closed faces because they're all slicers. A pox on their houses. I'm really beginning to hate them. Slower swing speed players who don't cast over the top have to find fully customized equipment to be fit properly.

Or maybe they realize that the segment who needs these are so small that it isn't profitable to make them. Casting molds for heads is extremely expensive, they cannot hit every segment. As a lefty I understand and respect that

Shame on them for not making clubs for skilled seniors and women who don't slice.

I play a pretty heavy draw and haven't had any issues gaming a Callaway wood for the last few years.

in fact, there are a bunch of offerings this year that sit neutral and open from Callaway.

Or maybe they realize that the segment who needs these are so small that it isn't profitable to make them. Casting molds for heads is extremely expensive, they cannot hit every segment. As a lefty I understand and respect that

You're a thoughtful human being. As a senior who doesn't slice, I don't respect them at all. The term "grumpy old man" was coined for a reason!

My Titleist PTs are also still in my bag for a reason. No closed faces. No upright lies. There's nothing modern that works as well for me.

I play a pretty heavy draw and haven't had any issues gaming a Callaway wood for the last few years.

in fact, there are a bunch of offerings this year that sit neutral and open from Callaway.

That's certainly true. Just not in high loft fairway woods (over 18º).

That's certainly true. Just not in high loft fairway woods (over 18º).

The XR16 pro 18* fairway wood is open.

Not absolutely confident, but I bet you could get a divine 9 to sit at 23* and open as well. Same goes for the heavenwood, although I seemed to have little trouble hitting that thing dead straight.

That would be good, then, C.

I'm just saying, they make the "pro" version of a line without the slice compensation and can't throw in one extra wood loftier than 18º. Would it kill them? I'll bet that their Champions Tour and LPGA endorsees get that stuff and we never see it. If you can make it, offer it and charge extra for the low profitability.

You're a thoughtful human being. As a senior who doesn't slice, I don't respect them at all. The term "grumpy old man" was coined for a reason!

My Titleist PTs are also still in my bag for a reason. No closed faces. No upright lies. There's nothing modern that works as well for me.

Well then it looks like you have what you need. It isn't in a companies best interest to offer clubs that fit a tiny portion of the golfing community, it just isn't. I am sorry you don't respect an OEMs desire to remain profitable and keep the doors open, but with golf not exactly thriving, these companies have to look to hit the biggest majorities of the golfing community, and Callaway/Odyssey does a pretty darn good job of that.

That would be good, then, C.

I'm just saying, they make the "pro" version of a line without the slice compensation and can't throw in one extra wood loftier than 18º. Would it kill them? I'll bet that their Champions Tour and LPGA endorsees get that stuff and we never see it. If you can make it, offer it and charge extra for the low profitability.

I guess I just don't see the point. I play a pull draw at best, and have been able to accommodate the profile of a Callaway wood at 14* for years, and have also had success with their more forgiving V-Series Heavenwood without ANY form of hook issues. At 20+ degrees of loft, I've never been hunting for an ultra low spin model. Rather, I'd be looking for something I can elevate in a big hurry, with forgiveness, that lands soft. V-Series fit the bill for that perfectly.

If they were all crazy hook machines, I'd be saying the same thing you are... But everything I've experienced from the Callaway brand, between the 815 alpha hybrid to the heavenwood, I can build a bag a few different ways to guarantee a relatively straight flight with increased accuracy at my discretion.

have you tried their hybrids? They are pretty awesome (and can be opened up).

I like the looks of both models, to be honest. I'm not sure I like the looks better than the prior XRs, though.

Seems like the goal of the outer portions having better ridging is designed for a more versatile head in terms of turf interaction.

Centered on the sole presents itself a lot more along the lines of the R Moto tech, where they use internal ribs to strengthen the stiffness in certain areas without the added bloat of full material use. Whether it acts as a gliding tool along the turf is I suppose something of an added bonus.
First thing I noticed was the ridges. Was about to reread the initial post to make sure I didn't miss the thinking behind the design but it appears you answered my question!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Has Callaway ever mentioned why they don't introduce the Heavenwood into the XR series ?

I'm all over this in a 4W!! Wish the standard didn't have the lines on the crown but I can look past that for sure. I haven't been happy with my XR 4W and I think a lot of that has to do with the stock Project X shaft in it. I actually had one with an Aldila Tour Blue that I loved but for some stupid reason I sold it.

Yes! A pro head with the chevron!

Not to get off track, but have you ever or thought about being fit for fairways? Or is it more of a "how it looks" thing?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know the shaft options were mentioned earlier. Will they be the same for both models?

Callaway XR16 Fairway Wood Preview

Im sure there has been, but not really by me. Just different FW woods to me in the idea that they look feel and sound different.
I think that will be a comparison many do with this one though, as its a natural draw of clubs.

JB,
I've been using the standard x2hot 4W since it came out and love it. Is there much difference between that offering and this one, or it is too close to call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really Really loving the looks of these! Really like the option of the 11 wood as I have always wanted to try one. Thinking a 4 and 7 wood might be in my future.

JB,
I've been using the standard x2hot 4W since it came out and love it. Is there much difference between that offering and this one, or it is too close to call?

Can't speak for this one, but to me the jump from the X2Hot to the XR was pretty big in terms of distance and forgiveness, especially off the deck.

Can't speak for this one, but to me the jump from the X2Hot to the XR was pretty big in terms of distance and forgiveness, especially off the deck.

The reason why I didn't make the jump from the x2hot to the XR was that for some reason, bigger profiles Fairways have always seems to work better with my swing. That is also a reason why the original Taylormade RBZ fwy also worked well with me.
Also, i occasionally used Fwys as Tee clubs so the bigger profile gives me more confidence.

JB,

Big difference to me. More penetrating off the tee with less spin which really has given more distance with the right loft.

I also feel as though they have added forgiveness laterally.

Back