Callaway XR16 Fairway Wood Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In hand pictures of the new XR16 Fairway Woods and XR16 Pro Fairway Wood.

i-mhJnb3S-XL.jpg

i-fWkhs4K-XL.jpg

i-WsDW9nW-XL.jpg

i-9PZZJtm-XL.jpg

i-vdDZ268-XL.jpg

i-CMC34qs-XL.jpg

I like the look. It really reminds me of my X2 hot.

I like the profile of the one in the pic of the face. Any info on these (loft, adjustable, shafts, etc.)?

• Admin
The XR 16 Fairway Wood builds on the category-defining face cup technology that has helped Callaway achieve the #1 fairway wood position in golf. The XR 16 Fairway Woods feature a design that is bigger, hotter, and more forgiving with our lightest crown for even more ball speed and distance. The XR 16 Fairway Wood is $229.99; the line of metalwoods will be available in a 3+, 3-, 4-, 5-, 7-, 9- and 11-Wood. The XR 16 Pro Fairway Wood will cost $249.99 and will be available in 14-, 16- and 18-degree lofts.

Definitely gravitate towards the pro model with no crown graphics. But would certainly be happy gaming either.

Since the FW is a spot in the bag that is always open for replacement will give these a go. I like the head size on this.

Those are sharp looking. I'm glad to see the Chevron back on the pro line.

Nice! Any idea on shaft options?

• Admin
Nice! Any idea on shaft options?

Here ya go.

Shafts

Fujikura Evolution II TS 765 -70g

Fujikura Evolution 565 FW -50g

Bassara -40g

When is this being released?

Very clean looking offerings at a solid price point. Nice weight range of shaft options also.

I like the clean and simple look of this one

Loved the last one. These will be on the short list come Spring/Summer.

Again the Pro model looks more appealing to me. The standard version looks much bigger, maybe its just the photo?

In stores 1/29

Im telling you now, if you hit this one, it will be in your bag. This fairway wood is made for you.

Been awhile since I gamed one but I can say that you've typically been on point when recommending I try something. Looks like next month in Alabama I may get a chance to try these on some real grass.

And just when I thought the bag was set....hahaha.

This is the one I've been waiting for. Not to purchase, just to give my thoughts after hitting it out in Carlsbad.

Like the other Callaway woods with the cup face, distance and forgiveness is there. What stands out was the ease to hit this one off the deck. The launch was nice (no ballooning) and held its line.

It's going to be a good option for those wanting a smaller profile (pro) and still maintain the distance and forgiveness

Been awhile since I gamed one but I can say that you've typically been on point when recommending I try something. Looks like next month in Alabama I may get a chance to try these on some real grass.

And just when I thought the bag was set....hahaha.

Its the only one that I have tested thoroughly (the FW) and you will love the ability to elevate off the deck, yet still hit penetrating off the tee. Its really unique in that aspect and I have not seen something like it from this line in a couple of years.

Its lower spin than the previous models too, which helps for people that like to hit their fairway woods off the tee.

Its the only one that I have tested thoroughly (the FW) and you will love the ability to elevate off the deck, yet still hit penetrating off the tee. Its really unique in that aspect and I have not seen something like it from this line in a couple of years.

Its lower spin than the previous models too, which helps for people that like to hit their fairway woods off the tee.

Music to my ears. Love my Mini off the tee where I can hit those penetrating shots but I can't do squat with it off the deck. Look forward to giving it a go, always up for a change if it makes my game better. Glad to see a FW model being made that doesn't balloon terribly for those that don't have issues elevating the ball.

That sounds terrific. I enjoyed hitting the XR from the deck but struggled with it off the tee. I need to find something comfortable in that slot. I hit the GBB well last month off the tee so that may be an option or your Frankenstein style 2nd driver idea.

The XR fairway was about as good as any fairway I've hit - a huge improvement over the X2Hot. I really like what I'm hearing about the ability to elevate off the deck with this. Could be a contender for a 3W for mostly tee use, but some work off the deck when the reward outweighs the risk.

I bought last year's XR fairway on a recommendation from a fitter because of the sheer distance and forgiveness. It's been a beast for me. I can only imagine what the new one does! Like was said the other day on a video about a fairway wood- this is where companies can really push performance since the restrictions on them isn't like what are on drivers from a USGA limits perspective. Fairway metals is where it gets fun for me!!!

I was fit for the XR fairways last year. Only ended up getting the 3w in my bag and I like how it performs off the tee and off the deck. Night have to consider trying the 5w in the XR16.

This is the one I've been waiting for. Not to purchase, just to give my thoughts after hitting it out in Carlsbad.

Like the other Callaway woods with the cup face, distance and forgiveness is there. What stands out was the ease to hit this one off the deck. The launch was nice (no ballooning) and held its line.

It's going to be a good option for those wanting a smaller profile (pro) and still maintain the distance and forgiveness

This has my attentions. I lie the last sentence too but ease off the deck is a biggie

I'll definitely want to see this one. And for the first time in a while, looking at the 14°

Back