Callaway XR16 Fairway Wood Preview

Based on photos and what has become a somewhat common generic "longer and better" statement from OEMs, the XR16 line didn't move the needle for me. But the other info in the thread about versatility and it's playing characteristics is much appreciated and does make me curious about the clubs.

Man those look good! If my current XR Pro 3 Deep wasn't so good these would be definite ponder.

I am overly excited about hitting the pro version of this. Considering it's the next-in-line design to what I currently game, and I am already a few cycles out, I have to think there are improvements to distance, forgiveness, MOI, and sound that I am not really taking advantage of.

The profile looks good.

Looks good. Definite evolution of the XR. I wonder are the ridges aerodynamic or are they for gliding through the turf?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was about to order a Divine 9 GBB, but may have to give the XR16 9 wood a look before pulling the trigger.

I actually don't care for the looks on these. If they perform anywhere near or potentially even better than the XR's they are replacing, then they have a big winner performance wise. But visually I don't care for them.

Looks good. Definite evolution of the XR. I wonder are the ridges aerodynamic or are they for gliding through the turf?

Seems like the goal of the outer portions having better ridging is designed for a more versatile head in terms of turf interaction.

Centered on the sole presents itself a lot more along the lines of the R Moto tech, where they use internal ribs to strengthen the stiffness in certain areas without the added bloat of full material use. Whether it acts as a gliding tool along the turf is I suppose something of an added bonus.

While I almost always gravitate towards the "pro" model for the size and open face, they have a 3+ head that is slightly open, and bridges the gap a bit between the two designs. Kind of intrigued by that, especially considering how much I use my 3 wood as a driver replacement on tighter, shorter holes.

Would all come down to adequate spin for me.

I much prefer the look of the 1st generation XR.

The XR 16 Fairway Wood builds on the category-defining face cup technology that has helped Callaway achieve the #1 fairway wood position in golf. The XR 16 Fairway Woods feature a design that is bigger, hotter, and more forgiving with our lightest crown for even more ball speed and distance. The XR 16 Fairway Wood is $229.99; the line of metalwoods will be available in a 3+, 3-, 4-, 5-, 7-, 9- and 11-Wood. The XR 16 Pro Fairway Wood will cost $249.99 and will be available in 14-, 16- and 18-degree lofts.
A 7, 9 and 11 wood, that's a lot of options.

I really like the light blue accent on the bottom, and the shape of it looks pretty darn good.

Also, 11 wood.

I really like the light blue accent on the bottom, and the shape of it looks pretty darn good.

Also, 11 wood.

Looks like the color from the women's line last year.

Now this is a club I could see in my bag sometime in 2016. Callaway FWs have gotten better and better each with, IMO.

I'm out on these for the sole reason that the shaft's aren't interchangeable. That's a deal breaker for me these days. I understand the weighting issues that go into adding in the shaft adapter, but it's hightly important for me to be able to reuse a shaft I love or switch shafts if I grow out of love with my current one. Not to mention I'm enjoying building a small arsenal of Callaway shafts.

I played 3 rounds with last year's XR 3 wood and wasn't a fan, I hit the V series much better. Hoping my local course will get these in for demo, other wise the next closest place is a 5 hour round trip. I really love my XR irons and wouldn't mind pairing them with a XR 3W.

I like the looks. Says smooth and fast to me. I love the XR, but I will have to give this one a rip sometime.

JB, has there been any head to head with the GBB line yet? Curious to the initial thoughts.

JB, has there been any head to head with the GBB line yet? Curious to the initial thoughts.

Im sure there has been, but not really by me. Just different FW woods to me in the idea that they look feel and sound different.
I think that will be a comparison many do with this one though, as its a natural draw of clubs.

I guarantee you that the lie angles will be flatter and the face angles will be more open on the Pro model which does not offer high loft versions.

The OEMs think that everybody who plays high loft fairway woods needs upright lie angles and closed faces because they're all slicers. A pox on their houses. I'm really beginning to hate them. Slower swing speed players who don't cast over the top have to find fully customized equipment to be fit properly.

Offset is not really about being a slicer.

I'm not overly pleased with my GBB 3W so this will be hit and compared. Hopefully this weekend

I guarantee you that the lie angles will be flatter and the face angles will be more open on the Pro model which does not offer high loft versions.

The OEMs think that everybody who plays high loft fairway woods needs upright lie angles and closed faces because they're all slicers. A pox on their houses. I'm really beginning to hate them. Slower swing speed players who don't cast over the top have to find fully customized equipment to be fit properly.

Shame on them for making clubs that will appeal to the largest audience. :alien:

XR 16 3w with 765 will be in the bag ASAP. Can't wait to see the XR pro fwy in person. The 18* might make the bag too.

Back