Callaway's Marketing

Spank818

Brian Gaysian
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 4.19
We got this started on the Callaway Irons-Morgan Cup thread as we were talking about how Callaway's marketing needs to step up since their offerings seem to be flying under the radar. The CEO has stepped down and the company itself looks like it's due for some sort of reshuffling.

I made a comment on how they need to look at their stable of tour pros for PGA and Euro tours.

Ok so we're talking about their staff pros so here's the list for PGA and Euro Tours:

PGA:

Stuart Appleby
Cameron Beckman
Notah Begay III
Alex Cejka
Ernie Els
Scott Gutschewski
J.J. Henry
Jim Herman
J.B. Holmes
Trevor Immelman
Fredrik Jacobson
Lee Janzen
Colt Knost
Greg Kraft
Derek Lamely
Shaun Micheel
Phil Mickelson
Paul Stankowski

European:

Thomas Bjorn
Michael Campbell
Nick Dougherty
David Drysdale
Niclas Fasth
Alastair Forsyth
Anton Haig
Thongchai Jaidee
Ross McGowan
Christian Nilsson
Alexander Noren
Alvaro Quiros
Marcel Siem
Jeev Milkha Singh
Danny Willett
Oliver Wilson

Who would you get rid of and who would you acquire? Obviously Phil is an untouchable since he is pretty much the face of Callaway right now. Looking at the list... it's not very sexy and stylish. It needs some flash regardless if the dude can win tourneys.

I said it in the other thread but use Quiros more and go out and throw a crap load of money at McIlroy.

Every company is going to have relative unknowns who don't move equipment, so I wouldn't dump anyone. Just don't use Els to try and move clubs, it's clearly not working.

I said it in the other thread but use Quiros more and go out and throw a crap load of money at McIlroy.

Every company is going to have relative unknowns who don't move equipment, so I wouldn't dump anyone. Just don't use Els to try and move clubs, it's clearly not working.

Do you think investing in some up and coming relative unknown could work as well? I like how Bridgestone is building their stable with Kuchar as their main guy with some up and comers like Sneds, Every, and Chappell to compliment their "names" like DLIII and Freddie.

Agree 100% with this. Maybe even add Rickie Fowler in there too. They need exciting young talent.

Does Notah Begay still play?

I wouldn't drop anyone, but like biggsy said utilizing Alviro more would be a good thing. He's an incredibly likeable guy and he hits it faaaar. With the crop of young talent on tour now why not go out and grab someone like a Nick Watney who is a proven winner. The equipment will move itself, if they can just get consumers to put hands on.

Americans dig the long ball. I agree with Biggs and I said it in the other thread as well. Use Quiros to your advantage. He also has a great personality, he would do well over here if they used him more.

There are obviously a ton of components to a marketing strategy and it's really hard to say what needs to be done and what doesnt need to be touched. I don't know why they'd want to compete with TM right now and go after TM's marketshare. Putting your eggs in that basket and you'd get smoked. You can't break what TM has right now. That's a more long term project if thats your goal. And just remember just because a certain group of people are playing TM now, doesnt mean they wont play anything else. Look at our bags usually.

They may not be super active like TM with forum testing but they are a big sponsor for the MC. That's really good exposure there. Only two companies in that one.

Although I would love to see more social media interaction. That's kinda my thing. I want to be posting on their facebook pages and would love more retweets but they arent the only ones who don't respond.

JB would be able to add more insight, but can you really say even if they got a McIlroy that they would move more equipment? It's not a guarantee. Titleist has always been big, I don't know if Rory is exactly spiking the needle for them.

How has that translated into equipment sales though? Golf Balls they are growing but I haven't heard much in the way of the other equipment.

Do you think investing in some up and coming relative unknown could work as well? I like how Bridgestone is building their stable with Kuchar as their main guy with some up and comers like Sneds, Every, and Chappell to compliment their "names" like DLIII and Freddie.

I'm not sure. Kuchar is being used more because he's winning, was part of the Ryder Cup and is known. I've seen Sneds but haven't seen Every or Chappell. Bridgestone got a perennial fan favorite in Freddy, throw in an exotic smoking hot woman and it's led to some marketing success, especially with their golf balls.

I think a player needs to win a bigger tournament or contend frequently and get his name out there before a company takes that leap. Or you land a polarizing figure with a name already. I think they screwed up losing GMac.

As Biggsy said, they really need to try and sign one of the big names like Mcilroy or Kaymer if they want to really boost their sales

They need to pick up an American who is popular with the younger crowd. Fowler and Watson are at the top at that list. Watson sells drivers and Fowler would be a very unique piece for Callaway.

They need guys who are in the spotlight constantly, for whatever reason it is they are there. For example, Rickie Fowler is yet to win on tour, but he is always on TV everyone loves him or loves to hate him, so Puma is getting alot of attention.

For Callaway they need to find someone similar. Someone who gets noticed and who gets a lot of TV time. Deck them out in Callaway and start putting them into commercials and the like.

They need to bring back the old commercials with Alice Cooper and Johnny Miller.

How has that translated into equipment sales though? Golf Balls they are growing but I haven't heard much in the way of the other equipment.

Honestly I think that at this point Callaway might want to take some market share from any angle possible. Besides Bridgestone's hallmark has always been ball sales and to that I think they grew leaps and bounds with the folks they have playing their balls and their ball fitting.

I'm not sure. Kuchar is being used more because he's winning, was part of the Ryder Cup and is known. I've seen Sneds but haven't seen Every or Chappell. Bridgestone got a perennial fan favorite in Freddy, throw in an exotic smoking hot woman and it's led to some marketing success, especially with their golf balls.

I think a player needs to win a bigger tournament or contend frequently and get his name out there before a company takes that leap. Or you land a polarizing figure with a name already. I think they screwed up losing GMac.

Obviously up and coming might not translate much to anything. I think BStone also has a nice stable in the Nationwide series as well which compliments their work with younger talent in QSchool and such.

I know it might not amount to anything because he might be locked in to real good deal but what about Matteo Mannasero? Young, up and coming, won a couple of tourneys on the Euro Tour already, Italian and (I could say it) good looking. I would throw a crap ton at him (not concern myself with the RLX wardrobe deal), move him here to the states, get him to play on the PGA regularly and market him as the centerpiece of your equipment along with Quiros (nice little yin and yang there between bomber and emotion to steady and heady).

They really need a couple of folks (SW, I like the Watney thing) but it all starts with a centerpiece.

Agree 100% with this. Maybe even add Rickie Fowler in there too. They need exciting young talent.

+1 Well said. I feel the exact same way.

I see what you're saying Spankster. But Callaway doesn't have a groundbreaking ball fitting. They have some sick technology in their clubs.

I don't see a bigger centerpiece than Phil Mickelson, even with the new guys. Phil still can sell.

I agree with a younger guy and I like the Matteo idea. He'd be perfect for them.

I just think Callaway needs to start from a single point and branch out. Get Phil in those iron commercials, he has the personality and even then length to make some people notice.

I see a lot of Callaway gear in AZ. Usually though its not always the latest line, people seem to buy Callaway and stick with it. I think a trade up program like Cleveland had would be huge with Callaway.

Honestly I think that at this point Callaway might want to take some market share from any angle possible. Besides Bridgestone's hallmark has always been ball sales and to that I think they grew leaps and bounds with the folks they have playing their balls and their ball fitting.

Obviously up and coming might not translate much to anything. I think BStone also has a nice stable in the Nationwide series as well which compliments their work with younger talent in QSchool and such.

I know it might not amount to anything because he might be locked in to real good deal but what about Matteo Mannasero? Young, up and coming, won a couple of tourneys on the Euro Tour already, Italian and (I could say it) good looking. I would throw a crap ton at him (not concern myself with the RLX wardrobe deal), move him here to the states, get him to play on the PGA regularly and market him as the centerpiece of your equipment along with Quiros (nice little yin and yang there between bomber and emotion to steady and heady).

They really need a couple of folks (SW, I like the Watney thing) but it all starts with a centerpiece.

That's a good name right there.

They used Appleby as a centerpiece with that Lamborghini ad. It's all backfired, people are bored, they need something more exciting to drive them to the stores and trust in Callaway again.

I think Freddie is the franchise player -so to speak- at bridgestone. the roundtable commercial of their's has kuchar as the feature guy, but Freddie is usually their go to guy, or at least it seems that way.

...as for callaway, i don't know. These things go in cycles. Making Quiros the new face is an interesting idea, but it's a big gamble. Americans don't warm to easily to guys who aren't from here and don't play here; even if he hits it a mile and wins on the euro tour, unless Quiros comes over here and wins a major or two as well as a couple of pga tour events, I don't think you'll be able to market him to americans as the face of your company and be overly successful in doing so.

Who is Jhonny Vegas with? nike? I think if you're looking for a charismatic young gun for callaway to gamble on, that'd be a solid choice.

I see what you're saying Spankster. But Callaway doesn't have a groundbreaking ball fitting. They have some sick technology in their clubs.

I don't see a bigger centerpiece than Phil Mickelson, even with the new guys. Phil still can sell.

I agree with a younger guy and I like the Matteo idea. He'd be perfect for them.

I just think Callaway needs to start from a single point and branch out. Get Phil in those iron commercials, he has the personality and even then length to make some people notice.

I see a lot of Callaway gear in AZ. Usually though its not always the latest line, people seem to buy Callaway and stick with it. I think a trade up program like Cleveland had would be huge with Callaway.
Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that Phil is left-handed or perhaps he just doesn't have an interest to take away from his family to shoot commercials all the time?

Callaway has a good line of equipment (except for the ball IMO), that's packed with outstanding technology, they just need to market it better.

They have the centerpiece in Phil, just need to build a prescence around him. Heck use Phil to steal DJ away from TMaG. I hate to say it but Phil isn't going to be around forever, it's time to start getting some youth in the stables.

Start copying Bstone with the ball fitting, Callaway makes some great balls and has one to fit just about every golfer.

Put Phil on commercials with the irons and wedges. Embrace social media. Give it everything you've got. I can't see the current path leading to growth.

I think Freddie is the franchise player -so to speak- at bridgestone. the roundtable commercial of their's has kuchar as the feature guy, but Freddie is usually their go to guy, or at least it seems that way.

...as for callaway, i don't know. These things go in cycles. Making Quiros the new face is an interesting idea, but it's a big gamble. Americans don't warm to easily to guys who aren't from here and don't play here; even if he hits it a mile and wins on the euro tour, unless Quiros comes over here and wins a major or two as well as a couple of pga tour events, I don't think you'll be able to market him to americans as the face of your company and be overly successful in doing so.

Who is Jhonny Vegas with? nike? I think if you're looking for a charismatic young gun for callaway to gamble on, that'd be a solid choice.
Yes, Nike. He is from Venezuela but went to Texas. He's a good name too.

I like that. Or like a playability / workability guarantee. That's another piece of the puzzle.

That's a good name right there.

They used Appleby as a centerpiece with that Lamborghini ad. It's all backfired, people are bored, they need something more exciting to drive them to the stores and trust in Callaway again.

What they should have done is sign Mannasero and stick him doing ads with the Lamborghini. Maybe even a viral video of him taking his driving test in a Countach or something. Appleby doesn't exactly scream sexy and sleek to me. Heck I would've stuck Justin Timberlake in one of those cars to pimp the Octane line.

He is with Nike. Good choice though as he taps into a market that's a little devoid of a star since Trevino and that's the Hispanic market. Nike would be stupid to let him go though. Callaway has one already in their stable in Quiros and they should press that button, early and often.

I think this is huge for Phil. I also think Callaway could probably work around that for him. I think they have a huge opportunity with the left handed group. In fact I think it's something they could target without being obvious.

They just need to pick a spot to start and go to work. Like you said the equipment is there, they just need to pick their spot. The possibilities are endless.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that Phil is left-handed or perhaps he just doesn't have an interest to take away from his family to shoot commercials all the time?

Callaway has a good line of equipment (except for the ball IMO), that's packed with outstanding technology, they just need to market it better.

They have the centerpiece in Phil, just need to build a prescence around him. Heck use Phil to steal DJ away from TMaG. I hate to say it but Phil isn't going to be around forever, it's time to start getting some youth in the stables.

Start copying Bstone with the ball fitting, Callaway makes some great balls and has one to fit just about every golfer.

Put Phil on commercials with the irons and wedges. Embrace social media. Give it everything you've got. I can't see the current path leading to growth.

+1000

Maybe it starts at the top where they hire someone who is energetic and brazen to head the guys at marketing. They have to take chances (which right now doesn't seem to be part of their MO) and distinguish themselves from the rest.

I don't know but to me it all seems very old and stale right now and they need a breath of fresh air to restart the engines so to speak.

As Biggsy said, they really need to try and sign one of the big names like Mcilroy or Kaymer if they want to really boost their sales

They need to pick up an American who is popular with the younger crowd. Fowler and Watson are at the top at that list. Watson sells drivers and Fowler would be a very unique piece for Callaway.

Its a great idea to say get this guy or get that guy, but unfortunately it does not work that way. They have contracts. But lets be honest here, outside of TaylorMade with some popular guys and Tiger Woods, is anybody "moving the needle" equipment wise?

Rory & Rickie? Kaymer? Seriously? Maybe in time, but neither (R&R) guy is out there making people buy clubs in my opinion. Heck, I would say half of Rickie's fans dont even realize he plays Titleist and would assume PUMA/Cobra. Kaymer in the US is not selling a thing. He has been the highest ranking TM staffer for hte better part of 2 years, and most in the US have no idea who he is.

They have the staple with Phil. They have the young bomber in Quiros. They have a large stable of guys and their putter roster is obscene right now.

The ironic part is that the most visible guy on tour is no doubt Tiger Woods, but that has never translated to equipment sales. Quantity makes sales in most cases, and like Cleveland and a few others, Callaway is built on a decent tour presence, but not large enough to get the "count" like Taylormade can with drivers and Titleist can with wedges and putters.

I know people would like to say they need to get that young big star, but lets face it, outside of Dustin Johnson (speaking of doing nothing), what has TM got in their stable that makes US consumers excited?

I also have to say, I'm not a giant fan of the Forged Composite adds that talks about how it's longer than the R11. Yes, you're trying to talk about your product being better but your putting the focus on the other company's club. If I see that ad and then a TM ad, I've just heard about the R11 twice and the Razr once and Callaway has paid for half of that exposure. Seems like a bad dollars to exposure ratio to me.

Then there's the fact that about 3 years TM looked at Callaway's marketing share and went after it hardcore. TM's also the kind of company that once they have their foot on your throat, they don't let up. Yoccos is spot on, if Callaway want's that back, they’re going to have to go after it long term.

Finally, I think they need to bring back the Big Bertha name and the X series. They spent ages building these names and they're the first things I think about when someone says Callaway to me. Before I knew squat about golf if someone said Callaway, I would immediately think Big Bertha and quality. The Diablo name as neat as it is, doesn't seem to be resonating with the consumer nor are the graphics.

Back