Chili - beans or nope?

I have enjoyed going down a bit of a "why do they care if there are beans in it" rabbit hole on the internet.

With that information supplemented, I will continue down my selfish and/or indifferent perspective that beans are absolutely 100% welcomed in any chili I eat.

All this chili talk and I had to make a pot. Beginning stages....lots of beans :)

View attachment 9040919

Sorry, but that doesn't look like "a lot" of beans to me! Looks like a very inconsequential occurence of beans in the mix!

I like a thicker chili. The tomatoes will release juice....water it down some

If the tomatoes will release more juice, why would you want to water things down?! I like my chili thick! Once it sets up in the leftover pot in the fridge, it should be almost solid! I do not like "loose" chili! My BIL makes a version of this, but he will not call it chili! He calls it "Hot Stuff"! It's pretty good, but it is NOT chili!

Sorry, but that doesn't look like "a lot" of beans to me! Looks like a very inconsequential occurence of beans in the mix!

If the tomatoes will release more juice, why would you want to water things down?! I like my chili thick! Once it sets up in the leftover pot in the fridge, it should be almost solid! I do not like "loose" chili! My BIL makes a version of this, but he will not call it chili! He calls it "Hot Stuff"! It's pretty good, but it is NOT chili!
"Watered down" was not the right phrase. The tomatoes release their juice and add flavor and thin it out some. Finished picture, stop over and I'll hook you up with a bowl

20211102_172550.jpg

If you’re asking if chili should have beans the correct answer is no. Chili that’s authentic does not have beans.

If you’re asking if chili can have beans and does it taste good then sure, but it’s no longer chili, it’s “chili with beans”.

This is sorta like asking if you should put vodka in a martini. You can and it tastes great, but it’s no longer a real martini if you do.
I can roll with this and in both cases it makes it better. Except on a hotdog or burger then no beans. I will say when I cook chili I do it with Pinto beans to get more volume from the batch. I also cook Krusteaz honey cornbread with little actual honey added when mixing. Crumble this up in the chili and it's awesome with the sweet and spicy combination!

Friday it is supposed to be in the 60's which means why not on making chili. Beans galore & lets crank it up on the Traeger!

Yes on beans if eating it by itself, no for chili dogs/burgers or dips.
THIS! Yes. Beans in my chili, but no beans in my chilidog chili.

Friday it is supposed to be in the 60's which means why not on making chili. Beans galore & lets crank it up on the Traeger!
How much smoke flavour is actually imparted on a pot of chilli?

One thing I never do when cooking stews/chillies is cook it on the stove top. They always go in the oven at 250/275F to give it much more caramelization.

Without is true chili
With is still chili, but an adaptation
Skyline is the devil's work.

skyline is the angel if you forget the marketing bs and think is it good. My kids come home and say we like school chilli, no beans. I minced the beans in my chilli and kids say it is better then school:unsure:

How much smoke flavour is actually imparted on a pot of chilli?

One thing I never do when cooking stews/chillies is cook it on the stove top. They always go in the oven at 250/275F to give it much more caramelization.
Not sure as I haven’t ever tried it on the Traeger, but saw a post from Meat Church on Instagram so decided I have to try it.

Back