Chili - beans or nope?

Always beans. Heck I've been known to dump a can of corn in the pot as well.

We always put corn in as well. Adds a little sweetness.

Made another big pot yesterday. 3 pounds of hamburger meat and 3 cans of beans (one each of red, black and pinto). I pour the liquid out of the cans before adding the beans to the chili. It was delicious and will be the next several times we eat it.

I think I prefer it without beans. Would it eat it with beans though.

You gotta have beans! I can’t say that I have ever had a chili without beans

Yes please!

Beans for me please!

It’s not Chili without beans. It’s just spicy Bolognese sauce!!!

Made another big pot yesterday. 3 pounds of hamburger meat and 3 cans of beans (one each of red, black and pinto). I pour the liquid out of the cans before adding the beans to the chili. It was delicious and will be the next several times we eat it.

I'm a big fan of the different beans in chili. This is my go to also -dark red kidney, pinto and black.

If it's just chili by itself then it needs beans. If it's a sauce for something (hot dog, frito pie, mexican food) then no beans. Personally when I make it I put in pinto, kidney, and ranch style beans.

Absolutely beans dark light mix it up and do pinto for chicken chili even black beans sometimes.

Depends on the style and the purpose of the Chilli for me. If it's a complete meal in a bowl, then beans. If not, then I will treat it more as a component and will have corn bread or tortillas and some other veg on the side to balance it out.

There are two types of people in this world.

Those who make their chili without beans

And those who are clueless and don't know how to make chili.

I'm not going to deny this because I admittedly don't know how to make chili, even though I like authentic chili
if given the opportunity to eat it.

But I do the converse. I do put chili mix into my ranch beans recipe.
It's obviously not chili--it's just three different kinds of beans, lots of ground beef, and chili mix.
Some ketchup and mustard powder and onion soup mix too.

Just the same, it's not bad.

Absolutely it needs beans. That's part of the charm and appeal.

No beans for me, or if it must have beans I will still eat it just want a smaller ratio of beans.

If it's just chili by itself then it needs beans. If it's a sauce for something (hot dog, frito pie, mexican food) then no beans. Personally when I make it I put in pinto, kidney, and ranch style beans.
^^^ This ^^^

Chili can or can not have them, it’s still chili and I’ll still eat it.

Always beans. Heck I've been known to dump a can of corn in the pot as well.

Bears, especially females with newbornes, should be bourne out with a number of caution!
You gotta have beans! I can’t say that I have ever had a chili without beans

Okay! So c

If you’re asking if chili should have beans the correct answer is no. Chili that’s authentic does not have beans.

If you’re asking if chili can have beans and does it taste good then sure, but it’s no longer chili, it’s “chili with beans”.

This is sorta like asking if you should put vodka in a martini. You can and it tastes great, but it’s no longer a real martini if you do.

All this chili talk and I had to make a pot. Beginning stages....lots of beans :)

20211102_160838.jpg

Back