Cleveland 588 RTX Wedge Preview Thread

I am almost certain the black pearl is where it's at for me this year... What I need to start considering is bounce.. I go for divots pretty much all the time which i think suggests increased bounce, but I like the idea of having a versatile wedge.. Maybe 50(10)/54(10)/58(12) will suffice..
That is my exact set up dude. When do you have to make the call on these?

That is my exact set up dude. When do you have to make the call on these?

Not really sure, to be honest.. Lots of time before the cup, but I believe each company functions slightly different.

I've played 6/12/12 for the last couple seasons and honestly haven't noticed a huge difference between my 50 and 54 -- And I really only selected those because I got a deal on them.

I think I'm about to experience a SERIOUS boost in wedge quality.

Im going to pick up a 48 after work today to close the gap between my pw and 52 (cg16 pw is a 44 if i remember right). Can you tell a difference in forgiveness of the cb vs the mb? I could use the forgiveness but i love the look of the mb.

Not really sure, to be honest.. Lots of time before the cup, but I believe each company functions slightly different.

I've played 6/12/12 for the last couple seasons and honestly haven't noticed a huge difference between my 50 and 54 -- And I really only selected those because I got a deal on them.

I think I'm about to experience a SERIOUS boost in wedge quality.

You're more than welcome to hit my wedges, I will bring my vokeys too, so if you want you can play a round with them...now keep n mind they are satin... Lol.

Im going to pick up a 48 after work today to close the gap between my pw and 52 (cg16 pw is a 44 if i remember right). Can you tell a difference in forgiveness of the cb vs the mb? I could use the forgiveness but i love the look of the mb.

Solely based on launch monitor feedback (flightscope) I didn't see that much difference MR, but there is a massive testing thread on the CB that could be of some real benefit to you..

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...veland-588-RTX-CB-Wedges-Review-Forum-Testing

You're more than welcome to hit my wedges, I will bring my vokeys too, so if you want you can play a round with them...now keep n mind they are satin... Lol.

That would be very cool man.. VERY cool. I won't need a full round with them, but I'd love to take a couple swipes on the range if that's cool!

Also, did you go stock wedge shaft or something more unique?

That would be very cool man.. VERY cool. I won't need a full round with them, but I'd love to take a couple swipes on the range if that's cool!

Also, did you go stock wedge shaft or something more unique?
I went stock.

I am almost certain the black pearl is where it's at for me this year... What I need to start considering is bounce.. I go for divots pretty much all the time which i think suggests increased bounce, but I like the idea of having a versatile wedge.. Maybe 50(10)/54(10)/58(12) will suffice..

Will the black pearl rust? Because if it doesn't, it should.

Will the black pearl rust? Because if it doesn't, it should.

I don't know that it does.. I am fairly certain the black pearl slowly loses the black finish where contact is made, and the RTG rusts.

I don't know that it does.. I am fairly certain the black pearl slowly loses the black finish where contact is made, and the RTG rusts.

Yeah if its like the one black pearl wedge I have from another company, it will wear away, but will take for ever to rust...mine is finally starting to rust...10 years later..

After consulting with my coach today, I'm retiring my original-groove CG-14's, and pulling my Mashie 2h. I had nice smooth gaps from 250 down to 100, after which I had a 30 yard gap between my 47* PW and my 52* CG-14 Gap Wedge. The clubs are being replaced with a 50* CB RTX and 54 and 58* blade RTX's. Ordered them from Cleveland in Black Pearl. All 3/4" over, with my Lamkin midsize Crossline grips. The 50* is 2* up to match my irons, and has the same shaft as my irons (DG S300) as it will be primarily a full-swing club. The 54* and 58* have the standard shaft. Really looking forward to trying them. I've had the CG-14 for several years, and they're getting pretty worn at this point.

I found the CB looked larger in the face.I don't use my 50 for a lot of full shots, which was the only reason I went MB over CB.

After consulting with my coach today, I'm retiring my original-groove CG-14's, and pulling my Mashie 2h. I had nice smooth gaps from 250 down to 100, after which I had a 30 yard gap between my 47* PW and my 52* CG-14 Gap Wedge. The clubs are being replaced with a 50* CB RTX and 54 and 58* blade RTX's. Ordered them from Cleveland in Black Pearl. All 3/4" over, with my Lamkin midsize Crossline grips. The 50* is 2* up to match my irons, and has the same shaft as my irons (DG S300) as it will be primarily a full-swing club. The 54* and 58* have the standard shaft. Really looking forward to trying them. I've had the CG-14 for several years, and they're getting pretty worn at this point.

Thats a sweet sounding setup, keep us updated when you get them in and how your first few rounds go. The CB GW would my full shot club too.

I am playing the 54 and 58 of this line and today was my first round with them. I need to dull out the grooves a bit, because as War Eagle can attest to, the spin was absolutely insane on both full and partial swings. Twice on chips, the ball checked up on me too soon and on my 3/4 swing with the 54, it spun back about 15 feet from the ball mark.

The new lines of the sole seem to add some versatility for me and I will have more coming soon on the line once I get more time with them. To say I was impressed with the evolution of this new 588 line would be an understatement.

I am playing the 54 and 58 of this line and today was my first round with them. I need to dull out the grooves a bit, because as War Eagle can attest to, the spin was absolutely insane on both full and partial swings. Twice on chips, the ball checked up on me too soon and on my 3/4 swing with the 54, it spun back about 15 feet from the ball mark.

The new lines of the sole seem to add some versatility for me and I will have more coming soon on the line once I get more time with them. To say I was impressed with the evolution of this new 588 line would be an understatement.

Sounds like I need to win these in Ohio!! What ball were you playing and were the wedges chewing it up?

Sounds like I need to win these in Ohio!! What ball were you playing and were the wedges chewing it up?

I played the 20xi 2013 ball today. It will be the last time I play it for me personally. They did not chew them up too bad, but being as though I took the plastic off of them on the course today, the grooves were a bit sharp.

I grabbed the 52*/10 the other night (in cb) and had it bent to 53*/11 to cover between the 50* AW from the Rocketbladez and my 56* CG-12... To say I'm excited to get this thing out this week is an understatement and 1/2! I'm already pondering the 56* RTX

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

I played the 20xi 2013 ball today. It will be the last time I play it for me personally. They did not chew them up too bad, but being as though I took the plastic off of them on the course today, the grooves were a bit sharp.
Bad for the ball, but a nice feeling to take that plastic off and tear into a sleeve of balls!

JB (or anyone else that has tried these): can you give any comparisons in how the stock shaft (DG Wedge Flex) compares against the Spinners?

I am looking for something more stable (for lack of a better term) than the Spinners, really more like an iron shaft where I can really dial in yardages on full swings. For some reason, I was never really able to with the Spinners.

Contemplating the 56/60 in these and hoping to get them to be like 70/80 yard clubs on full shots. In the past, it has seemed to be a guessing game and I want to move away from that and know I can play the 60* at 70 yards but take off 5 yards if I need to.

Hope that rambling makes sense.

Less of that low ball flight from the spinners. I really liked the spinner shafts at first, but after a few months, the ball flight was just too low for me and I was killing my game for an increase in spin I did not need.

I like the standard shafts in them.

I'm thinking about throwing KBS Tours in the wedges I order for the MC (if that's an option). I'm hoping to find a wedge fitting cart nearby so I can hit these with multiple shafts. I'm wondering how different the DG Wedge shaft is from the KBS Tour or KBS Wedge shafts?

That's exciting feedback right there!! Which ball were you playing out of curiosity? (Edit: Saw that got answered on next page, thanks)

Satin? Any glare issues?

Less of that low ball flight from the spinners. I really liked the spinner shafts at first, but after a few months, the ball flight was just too low for me and I was killing my game for an increase in spin I did not need.

I can see that, esp since you are more of a high spin player

I'm thinking about throwing KBS Tours in the wedges I order for the MC (if that's an option). I'm hoping to find a wedge fitting cart nearby so I can hit these with multiple shafts. I'm wondering how different the DG Wedge shaft is from the KBS Tour or KBS Wedge shafts?

I had KBS Tour shafts in my bridgestone wedges last year and really like them. They were great on full swings and had enough greenside spin to keep me happy.

Thanks for that, I was all excited for the increased spin from the DG's but I don't really play that style of golf (suck it back 5-10 feet, etc) and the RTX face seems to do that plenty.

My exact thoughts as well except substitute in PX Flighted instead of KBS. Like other things I have mentioned, I want these to be an extension of the irons and maintain gapping, etc from the DW in the 588 irons.

My exact thoughts as well except substitute in PX Flighted instead of KBS. Like other things I have mentioned, I want these to be an extension of the irons and maintain gapping, etc from the DW in the 588 irons.

that was something I really enjoyed. Might do it again this year.

Back