Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

You may be right. I have the 45 gram Ping Quik Shaft in my G430 HL set. I may put the CBX4s up for sale in the THP Marketplace.

If it was a 54 or 56 I might be interested but 45/52 don’t flow with my setup.

lol, I may have thought out how I could gap those 😂

FWIW, The CBX 4s are 46 and 52 with Project X, Catalyst 80 Spinner graphite shafts. Custom paint fill (gold and red) and marked YLL4 (yell fore :) ). Brand new, each hit about 5 times.

Figured out my 58* today. Feeling really good about both of my CBX4’s at the moment.

I love my CBX2 wedges, I've tried to replace them as I play about 70 rounds a year and last year was I believe three years with them but I didn't get along as well with the zipcores I bought last year. The only issue I have is I got the grey/black wedges in CBX2 primarily because there are a few holes at my home course that shiny wedges get a lot of glare and the new wedges don't seem to have the black option.

I feel like I should replace but these look too shiny for me.

I love my CBX2 wedges, I've tried to replace them as I play about 70 rounds a year and last year was I believe three years with them but I didn't get along as well with the zipcores I bought last year. The only issue I have is I got the grey/black wedges in CBX2 primarily because there are a few holes at my home course that shiny wedges get a lot of glare and the new wedges don't seem to have the black option.

I feel like I should replace but these look too shiny for me.
We're all different of course, but I don't think they are shiny at all. Nice satin finish.

I just bought brand new CBX4 (48 & 54) on eBay for $130 each. Not a bad deal since I was the only bidder! I’m matching these with my TaylorMade Sim2 Max OS irons 6-PW. I bought the CBX4 48 degree to replace the 48 degree Sim2 Max OS Approach Wedge since i didn’t like the feel of it. And also bought the CBX4 54 degree to use for full shots around the 85-90 yard range. Im just hoping that the gapping from my Sim2 max OS PW (42 degrees) blends well with the 48 degree CBX4. Excited to try it out!

I have a CBX4 54* on order from Srixon with the Dart shaft. I also want to add a CBX4 58* or 60* to my set but wanted to check out the 54* before I purchase the second wedge.
I just received my new ZX4 irons with the Dart shafts yesterday and I think the CBX wedges will fit nicely with them.
Any pros/cons between the 58* and 60*?

I have a CBX4 54* on order from Srixon with the Dart shaft. I also want to add a CBX4 58* or 60* to my set but wanted to check out the 54* before I purchase the second wedge.
I just received my new ZX4 irons with the Dart shafts yesterday and I think the CBX wedges will fit nicely with them.
Any pros/cons between the 58* and 60*?
It will blend perfectly with your ZX4. Love this setup.

Played my first round with CBX4 yesterday (48, 54, 60), and came away very impressed. The 54 and 60 work very well in medium-firm bunkers, and the 60 is a handy club to have around the green. I needed to get over a mound just off the green on 17, so I attempted a flop shot: opened up the 60, and away I went! Ball ended up three feet from the pin and I saved par. That’s a shot I probably pull off one out of ten times, yet I nailed it with my first attempt using CBX4…good first impression! lol

My wedges have always stopped at 54* so I have a CBX4 on order to fill that spot. I want to add one more wedge and cannot decide between the 58* and the 60* CBX4.
Any thoughts on which would be best???
Thank you.

My wedges have always stopped at 54* so I have a CBX4 on order to fill that spot. I want to add one more wedge and cannot decide between the 58* and the 60* CBX4.
Any thoughts on which would be best???
Thank you.
I've always felt that the 58 is a bit more versatile. Less loft on full shots meaning one doesn't have to be as precise but the ability to open the face on the touch shots around the green to get loft. So far in my testing of these both are pretty easy to open the face with.

Do you like to open the face some in your short game? Or does the course or courses you play the most ask for several high, floated shots? That may help point you in the right direction.

Good to hear. I've been doing some ball testing with them and still can't get over how much more I like them than the previous version.
So. GOOD.

It makes me so happy people around me have seemed more impressed and more accepting of them this time. They're already in so many bags and I love it.

So. GOOD.

It makes me so happy people around me have seemed more impressed and more accepting of them this time. They're already in so many bags and I love it.
Nice! Definitely not surprised to hear that. When we first unboxed them I had a feeling they'd find their way in many bags. I'll be real - especially in the SW/LW range I've been a wedge snob for a long time. Like most people, I'm 100% guilty of overestimating my skills there. A single round at Ballyhack really opened my eyes to reality.

I've always felt that the 58 is a bit more versatile. Less loft on full shots meaning one doesn't have to be as precise but the ability to open the face on the touch shots around the green to get loft. So far in my testing of these both are pretty easy to open the face with.

Do you like to open the face some in your short game? Or does the course or courses you play the most ask for several high, floated shots? That may help point you in the right direction.
I do like to open the face. I think you are right with the 58* being more versatile and since I have never played any wedge over 54* maybe the 58* would be the best choice.

I really like my CBX4 54* so I added a 58*.
Ordered this morning:
CBX4 58*, 2* upright, 3/4" long with Recoil Dart wedge shaft ordered.

I really like my CBX4 54* so I added a 58*.
Ordered this morning:
CBX4 58*, 2* upright, 3/4" long with Recoil Dart wedge shaft ordered.
Love it. Let us know how it goes.

We need to talk some more about these wedges. I had a 56 out today and it did everything I asked of it. It had plenty of forgiveness on pitch and approach shots which is to be expected.

What was impressive was how versatile it was around the greens. It was able to handle any shot that I have in my bag around the greens. I had no trouble playing a low runner, a standard shot, or floated one. I don’t recall the last iteration being that versatile.

This one might have been the most impressive display of the turf interaction. Elevated green, not a lot of room to work with, and a pretty bare lie. There were no issues opening up the wedge and holding the green on this little pitch.

IMG_7995.jpegIMG_7996.jpeg

The stats back it up, but with the added help on fuller swings, and not giving up anything around the greens, it’s a no brainer to me to have these be the wedges in the bag to start the season. Now I just need to decide between 58 and 60 in the LW spot.

IMG_7999.png

We need to talk some more about these wedges. I had a 56 out today and it did everything I asked of it. It had plenty of forgiveness on pitch and approach shots which is to be expected.

What was impressive was how versatile it was around the greens. It was able to handle any shot that I have in my bag around the greens. I had no trouble playing a low runner, a standard shot, or floated one. I don’t recall the last iteration being that versatile.

This one might have been the most impressive display of the turf interaction. Elevated green, not a lot of room to work with, and a pretty bare lie. There were no issues opening up the wedge and holding the green on this little pitch.

View attachment 9246054View attachment 9246055

The stats back it up, but with the added help on fuller swings, and not giving up anything around the greens, it’s a no brainer to me to have these be the wedges in the bag to start the season. Now I just need to decide between 58 and 60 in the LW spot.

View attachment 9246063
That's awesome @Scooby45

Pretty much sums up how I feel too. I get not everybody will find that type of setup ideal, but I think WAY more would than believe they would.

I got to play my first round with my new 54* wedge on Sunday. I like this wedge a lot, it handled all different types of shots really well.
My new 58* wedge that I have on order is being delivered today and to be honest I am not sure I need it because the 54* is so versatile but I am looking forward to hitting the 58* just to see what I have been missing.
I will post here with an update after I have played a round with the 58*.

I got to play my first round with my new 54* wedge on Sunday. I like this wedge a lot, it handled all different types of shots really well.
My new 58* wedge that I have on order is being delivered today and to be honest I am not sure I need it because the 54* is so versatile but I am looking forward to hitting the 58* just to see what I have been missing.
I will post here with an update after I have played a round with the 58*.
I think you'll enjoy having both. I've transitioned a bit into using the 54 more often, but some things are just better with that extra loft and the grind.

I think you'll enjoy having both. I've transitioned a bit into using the 54 more often, but some things are just better with that extra loft and the grind.
Have you had a 58 or 60 in hand? How well on course can you open them up?

I have used the 50/54/58 from day 1. The 58 has a C grind and is very easy to open up. Not going to look like a no-bounce 60 obviously, but that's not really a mental block for me. I just trust it and it does it's thing fine.

Every time I’m in the store I fondle these.

I could 1000% play them, even in the lob, and I manipulate the hell out of the face on that club with how I play. The C-grind gives ample ability to do that imo.

Back