Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

These look so much better than the last version, and i liked those as well. These are so clean.

First reaction with this in hand is I think Cleveland hit this one out of the park. It hides it size really well at address, looks sleek, and feels good. The grind didn’t give me any trouble when hitting chips in the basement and the shots seemed very consistent.

I hit it side by side with the RTX6 and I think if blindfolded I may have trouble identifying which was which from the feel.

Once Ohio weather stops hating golfers I’m going to get this outside but early indications are that these wedges have a shot to earn the bag this year.

4A4E37D8-FEC2-4F99-A309-523F7A296AEB.jpeg

F048CD40-1FD5-4260-A197-D2BD1A55F721.jpeg

I realized I still had $132 in shop credit for the men's league. I went ahead and had them order the 48* CBX4 as well. I'm going to with the Nippon3 Wedge (105) to be a closer match to my Modus 105's in my ZX5s as it's almost exclusively a full swing club.

I mean I had to, right?

I realized I still had $132 in shop credit for the men's league. I went ahead and had them order the 48* CBX4 as well. I'm going to with the Nippon3 Wedge (105) to be a closer match to my Modus 105's in my ZX5s as it's almost exclusively a full swing club.

I mean I had to, right?
That Nippon wedge shaft is great. I think you'll like it quite a bit.

First reaction with this in hand is I think Cleveland hit this one out of the park. It hides it size really well at address, looks sleek, and feels good. The grind didn’t give me any trouble when hitting chips in the basement and the shots seemed very consistent.

I hit it side by side with the RTX6 and I think if blindfolded I may have trouble identifying which was which from the feel.

Once Ohio weather stops hating golfers I’m going to get this outside but early indications are that these wedges have a shot to earn the bag this year.

View attachment 9239630

View attachment 9239632
Hope you can get out on the grass sooner than later.

Hope you can get out on the grass sooner than later.
High of 48 and allegedly sunny this weekend. Leaning towards a par 3 to put this through the paces. Pretty excited about it.

High of 48 and allegedly sunny this weekend. Leaning towards a par 3 to put this through the paces. Pretty excited about it.
That’s a great plan. Perfect conditions to test that sole and the HydraZip too.

That’s a great plan. Perfect conditions to test that sole and the HydraZip too.
It will certainly still be wet after like 13 days of rain... best case to test HydraZip.

Maybe the weather will keep folks away and I can play both the CBX and RTX side by side. That would be ideal.

It will certainly still be wet after like 13 days of rain... best case to test HydraZip.

Maybe the weather will keep folks away and I can play both the CBX and RTX side by side. That would be ideal.
Bring a couple towels lol. Poor wedges are going to need a bath afterwards.

I got these out for the initial round today. They are as advertised, easy to hit and great stopping power. I thought that they weren’t going as far, but I was hitting into the wind and it was colder out. By the middle holes, they were right in line with what I’m used to. Only flubbed the 58* once in a sloppy lie, more operator error than anything.

I got a chance to practice a true chipping green this afternoon. These are SO good. I can't put my finger on it on why, but they are so easy to chip and pitch with.

I also got some true range time. I was interested to see how the KBS Rev 2.0 shaft performed. It hits it higher and feels softer at impact or should I saw you feel more of kick that the DG spinners in the regular Zipcore.

I alternated hitting back to back full and partial shots with my 48* Zipcore (DG Spinner) and 52* CBX4. That's where I noticed the difference at impact between the two shafts. The 48* felt 'harsher' at impact but was going 110-115 consistently. The 52 felt more 'lively' through impact and was going 100-105.

I'd already ordered the 48* with the Nippon Wedge shaft which I think will be fine. But wouldn't have minded playing the KBS in it.

This is my first time ever hitting a KBS shafted club other than a few swings in a PXG studio. I really don't know much about them. It was a positive introduction.

I got a chance to practice a true chipping green this afternoon. These are SO good. I can't put my finger on it on why, but they are so easy to chip and pitch with.

I also got some true range time. I was interested to see how the KBS Rev 2.0 shaft performed. It hits it higher and feels softer at impact or should I saw you feel more of kick that the DG spinners in the regular Zipcore.

I alternated hitting back to back full and partial shots with my 48* Zipcore (DG Spinner) and 52* CBX4. That's where I noticed the difference at impact between the two shafts. The 48* felt 'harsher' at impact but was going 110-115 consistently. The 52 felt more 'lively' through impact and was going 100-105.

I'd already ordered the 48* with the Nippon Wedge shaft which I think will be fine. But wouldn't have minded playing the KBS in it.

This is my first time ever hitting a KBS shafted club other than a few swings in a PXG studio. I really don't know much about them. It was a positive introduction.
Yea, it's a good shaft for sure. Nothing to overthink imo. Great feeling and will perform nicely for many people.

Anyone try these with the Dart graphite ?

Anyone try these with the Dart graphite ?
i put Steel Fiber I95 in all my wedges to match my irons. Kind of the same, but not really....

Going full graphite is definitely on my 2024 wishlist.
I am there other than my SW and LW. and trending towards even swaping those out. Or at least going graphite in the SW slot.
I thought I was giving up accuracy having graphite in my PW and GW but in looking at Shot Scope
My PW graphite was 60% GIR
My GW Graphite was 75% GIR
My SW Steel was 62% GIR
My LW Steel was 71% GIR
So not much difference whether steel or graphite.

I think the SW GIR % being less than the GW and LW had to do with the style of wedge. I don't get as much distance out of SW as I did my previous SW's so I would often come up short.

Going full graphite is definitely on my 2024 wishlist.
Graphite shafts in my wedges have been a game changer for me. Just absolutely love everything about them.

Graphite shafts in my wedges have been a game changer for me. Just absolutely love everything about them.
I actually have a set of KBS graphite I could pull and install if I had to. I'd rather go UST though.

I am there other than my SW and LW. and trending towards even swaping those out. Or at least going graphite in the SW slot.
I thought I was giving up accuracy having graphite in my PW and GW but in looking at Shot Scope
My PW graphite was 60% GIR
My GW Graphite was 75% GIR
My SW Steel was 62% GIR
My LW Steel was 71% GIR
So not much difference whether steel or graphite.

I think the SW GIR % being less than the GW and LW had to do with the style of wedge. I don't get as much distance out of SW as I did my previous SW's so I would often come up short.
Yea, I've never felt like I missed any accuracy either.

Oh man, today was really good to get this out onto grass. Just chipping and short pitches but I was seeing great stopping power and consistency.

The biggest thing for me is how well it could handle various lies. I created a few shots from some pretty bare and nasty lies trying to test out how ‘big’ the sole played. It handled everything I could throw at it. I think how they beveled the front edge really helps it get into the bare lies with the rest of it making sure you get out. Tried to get a photo of it in the fading light.

IMG_7846.jpegIMG_7845.jpegIMG_7844.jpeg
IMG_7842.jpeg

Last edited:
Back