Cleveland Launcher CBX Irons

Seen these today in person. They look fantastic! And they feel even better! The profile at address to me reminded me of the Srixon Z565. But they actually felt alot smoother. And holy crud do they go far!

I like hearing this. Z565 has been on the top of my want list for a long time. If this are the same or better than those it'll be hard for me to not pull the trigger. Hoping to hit some soon.

I like hearing this. Z565 has been on the top of my want list for a long time. If this are the same or better than those it'll be hard for me to not pull the trigger. Hoping to hit some soon.

Z565s are solid irons and you can't go wrong there. However, the CBX irons have exceeded my expectations in a big way. Waiting to test the CBX irons is a good decision in my humble opinion. They started from the beginning and used test data to guide their design decisions. It will be interesting to see how the market receives these clubs but think the CBX line is a home run for Cleveland Golf.

Cleveland Launcher CBX Irons

The CBX is a iron people should be trying out. Think you will be very impressed by what you see. I was taking dead aim on par 3's shooting it straight at pins. Of the par 3's I hit 3 within 15 feet and my closest 6 feet of the pin. Usually par 3's are my nemesis bogey territory . The confidence these give are really reassuring to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone play the older launcher irons and could compare to those? I played those for a while and they were very accurate for me, sounds like these are similar

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm still surprised just how good the overall package here looks, its one heck of a way to bring Cleveland back into the iron game.

Spent an hour at the range yesterday before playing. I was really interested to try the CBX 4i. The 4i in my previous set lasted about a month before a hybrid replace it and thought this preference would carry over to the CBX line. I hit the CBX 4i several times on the range and during my round. Happy to report hitting the green from 196! Hope we're seeing the beginning of the trend. :D The immediate takeaway is the CBX 4i is easy to hit.

The CBX head is a little bit longer and has a lower profile. It also uses Cup Face and V-Sole technology. The top line is a little thicker than the JPX EZ. However, I didn't notice it during the round. I think the CBX swing weight is D1 vs. D2 for the JPZ EZ. The CBX weight is quickly becoming one of my favorite features of this line.

The irons come with standard size Lamkin grips. I'll probably change to midsize grips in the next few weeks.

The ball flight is definitely lower than the hybrid. Not going to claim "penetrating" yet because conditions were very calm yesterday. However, the ball flight was ideal for windy days.

Here are some photos of three different club setups.

1. Cleveland CBX, 4i, 20*, Miyazaki C.Kua, stiff flex
2. Callaway XR, 4h, 22*, Project X, 6.0, stiff flex
3. Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, 4i, 22*, TT XP 95, stiff flex

IMG_0376[1].JPG

IMG_0374[1].JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

Last edited:
@Vortex - what iron is shown in the pictures? 5i?

Spent an hour at the range yesterday before playing. I was really interested to try the CBX 4i. The 4i in my previous set lasted about a month before a hybrid replace it and thought this preference would carry over to the CBX line. I hit the CBX 4i several times on the range and during my round. Happy to report hitting the green from 196! Hope we're seeing the beginning of the trend. :D The immediate takeaway is the CBX 4i is easy to hit.

The CBX head is a little bit longer and has a lower profile. It also uses Cup Face and V-Sole technology. The top line is a little thicker than the JPX EZ. However, I didn't notice it during the round. I think the CBX swing weight is D1 vs. D2 for the JPZ EZ. The CBX weight is quickly becoming one of my favorite features of this line.

The irons come with standard size Lamkin grips. I'll probably change to midsize grips in the next few weeks.

The ball flight is definitely lower than the hybrid. Not going to claim "penetrating" yet because conditions were very calm yesterday. However, the ball flight was ideal for windy days.

Here are some photos of three different club setups.

1. Cleveland CBX, 220* loft, Miyazaki C.Kua, stiff flex
2. Callaway XR, Project X, 6.0, stiff flex
3. Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, TT XP 95, stiff flex

View attachment 28779

View attachment 28781

View attachment 28780

Thank you for the comparison pics. The comparison to the Mizunos really helps since I've owned those.

The top line is thicker than expected, but still a good looking iron.

Good pics there Vortex, thank you.

I think SRI needs to pick a direction here. They aren't sure what to do with there brands here, and seem to dump all momentum frequently. Everytime Cleveland seems to be taking off they change directions again. Hopefully they let Cleveland run with it after this.

They have picked a direction. After letting 'Cleveland' "run with it" and nearly imploding after their acquisition, they cleared the decks, cut products to the core, i.e. wedges and are finally introducing a new single product line that rings familiar with design elements that were successful for Cleveland in the past. They are giving Cleveland a chance to succeed, wherther it's enough is somewhere in the future.

Before their purchase, Cleveland was on a downhill run. Whether Cleveland continues as more then a wedge company is up to buying public. Sticking to SGI or GI makes complete sense with Srixons forged irons targeting good to better players. I like what I see, and I think it's a good sign, but a lot of buyers like me will only look to Cleveland for wedges and little else.

@Vortex - what iron is shown in the pictures? 5i?

I updated my post and clarified the clubs/lofts. Sorry for the confusion. The answer to your question is 4i/4h/4i for these clubs.

They have picked a direction. After letting 'Cleveland' "run with it" and nearly imploding after their acquisition, they cleared the decks, cut products to the core, i.e. wedges and are finally introducing a new single product line that rings familiar with design elements that were successful for Cleveland in the past. They are giving Cleveland a chance to succeed, wherther it's enough is somewhere in the future.

Before their purchase, Cleveland was on a downhill run. Whether Cleveland continues as more then a wedge company is up to buying public. Sticking to SGI or GI makes complete sense with Srixons forged irons targeting good to better players. I like what I see, and I think it's a good sign, but a lot of buyers like me will only look to Cleveland for wedges and little else.

FWIW, CBX irons are classified as Game Improvement irons but there's plenty of performance in them. Srixon Z765 and Apex irons are also in the Game Improvement category so CBX has good company. :D

FWIW, CBX irons are classified as Game Improvement irons but there's plenty of performance in them. Srixon Z765 and Apex irons are also in the Game Improvement category so CBX has good company. :D

Correct. They are on the better players' side of game improvement irons.

Z565s are solid irons and you can't go wrong there. However, the CBX irons have exceeded my expectations in a big way. Waiting to test the CBX irons is a good decision in my humble opinion. They started from the beginning and used test data to guide their design decisions. It will be interesting to see how the market receives these clubs but think the CBX line is a home run for Cleveland Golf.

The CBX line looks great. From the irons to the wedge, it's very much a complete package. The longer irons have a little too much offset for my taste but I said the same thing about the apex CF irons. I really think Cleveland has a winner with this line up.

Played the new CBX irons yesterday and today. These irons are changing the game (in a good way) and I couldn't be happier. Two quick par 3 stories.
1) Saturday: 192 yard back pin, 5 iron - ball hit the green and went off the back.
2.) Sunday: 168 yard back pin, 6 iron, light headwind, peninsula green - ball flew the green and landed in the water. ~180 yards of carry.

Sending balls over the green isn't the point. There was little, to no chance, of doing that with the JPX EZ Forged clubs. Not dogging Mizuno clubs because they're good. Just pointing out the CBX irons are more powerful than people 'may' think.

One of the things that I hope people begin to notice in the tech advances are the progressive nature of some of the gear coming out. This set is packed with features honestly.

Cup Face
V-Sole
Progressive design and styling
FBT which moves the CG directly behind center to eliminate bias from weight and specifically hosel weight which means less mass on the toe side
Solid shaft pairing
And coming in and a price point that fits what people have been asking for.

Its a really impressive launch that is going to get glossed over by far too many I have a feeling.

One of the things that I hope people begin to notice in the tech advances are the progressive nature of some of the gear coming out. This set is packed with features honestly.

Cup Face
V-Sole
FBT which moves the CG directly behind center to eliminate bias from weight and specifically hosel weight which means less mass on the toe side
Solid shaft pairing

Its a really impressive launch that is going to get glossed over by far too many I have a feeling.

Agree with these comments and a tangible example is the 4 iron. I always thought a 4 iron was beyond my skill level. The CBX line changed this due to Cup Face, V-Sole, CG, C.Kua shaft, etc. I've been trying to break 80 at my home course from the 6,550, 72.1/142 tees for the last two years. There's a good chance this is going to happen within the next month! We're talking about irons here but the Launcher metals and CBX wedges make this a great set.

Had a nice range session with these irons today. I am getting very comfortable with 6-PW so far. The length and loft of the 4 and 5 irons have made the early goings a bit of a struggle. Full disclosure: I have always struggled with longer irons regardless of the set and usually game two hybrids. I have teed off the 5 iron to some mixed results so far but when I catch it flush boy does the ball just go and go. The best results for me with longer irons have always come when I grip down on the club, so for the 4 & 5 irons I will definitely do that until I get more comfortable.

The first thing I always think about when grabbing these clubs is how great they look. At address they are confidence inspiring without looking chunky. The shaft pairing has been excellent so far I must admit. I usually play lighter iron shafts so the DST 98 feel nice and firm with the added benefit of being lightweight. I would describe them as a more stable XP 95. I am seeing launch that is normal to what I am used to - high. Just like the CBX wedges the dual v-sole is fantastic and really helps you get out of the nasty stuff easier. Distance wise these have been on par with my previous iron sets. The feel is also similar to the wedges and while it isn't soft like a forged iron it seems to feel better than most cast clubs. My miss is usually toe side on all clubs and the forgiveness is there. Extreme toe hits results in distance loss of about 10-15 yards but would still be in play on the course in most conditions. I am looking forward to Wednesday and seeing how these perform on the course.

633769cea4a272805510ee1187a3ab7f.jpg

0da7853f41b9e55c4c7e9503fd29e91e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good stuff ASN21, can't get over how good these look in the bag.

Great feedback so far guys!

I really love that Cleveland came out with this iron, seems like it's gonna be really big for them. They remind me a lot of the 565, with the v-sole and style of CB, but with a cup face technology that's gonna help out even more. The CG being behind the sweet spot is something that really appeals to me and many others I'm sure. These check a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

I've got a feeling this could be one of the biggest releases of '18 if they can create some buzz. They're getting off to a pretty good start with the Shoot Out, hopefully that builds some momentum for them. Noelle also does a great job on social so I'm looking forward to seeing how big these can be.

I need to hit these.

Cup Face
V-Sole
Solid shaft pairing

Thanks for pointing this out. I had posted some time ago wondering when someone would combine cup face with V sole, and mused that it would make for the near perfect iron. Here we have it.

Played alot better last night with these than at Torrey Pines,shot a solid 38. Just slowed things down a bit.
I also opened my club face slightly as I'm not used to the offset, and was hitting them well.
All the new Cleveland clubs were working, just my putter speed was off playing on slower greens than in California.
Really happy with them, and they seem to be a half club longer than my old Callaway irons.
191bf7d284222902141a72c9e247abd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

These irons are making it hard for me to keep my commitment to stick with the same irons for a couple of years.

These irons are making it hard for me to keep my commitment to stick with the same irons for a couple of years.

Not saying you should or shouldn't buy them. However, give them a test run after they're released. As mentioned above, cup face + dual V-Sole + face balance + zip grooves = great clubs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back