Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Youre a sick man but I approve. Please be sure to THP on the fly so we can read your impressions and thoughts on swing numero uno. Thats number one for you non mexicans.

No problemo! Gonna have some range time before the round as well. Should be good, can't wait to get the mashie fever!

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

No problemo! Gonna have some range time before the round as well. Should be good, can't wait to get the mashie fever!

Great, I'll be thinking about that while sitting around at work all day today.

Great, I'll be thinking about that while sitting around at work all day today.

Somebody has to do it, lol. Sucks man, sorry.

So, what aspect of the mashie should I look forward to the most: ball flight, sound, feel, or distance?

ball flight and sound are definitely unique to this club, imo

So, what aspect of the mashie should I look forward to the most: ball flight, sound, feel, or distance?

Ball flight and feel. And along those lines how easy it is to hit. And hit well. Just a nice smooth swing and the shaft will talk to you. nu nu nu nu nu nu nu nu nu nu .....

You go TC! I am so jealous. I was suppose to play today but nothing is open. I am going to drive about anywhere to find a grass range though.

I am up just a bit early myself but I finally get on the course this morning. It is a bit chilly here this morning (35* brrr) and the forecast has it going up to 60* . Gonna warm up a bit on the range then it is off to my round. Good luck to you TC, I hope you get the fever today. Like I have learned and most will tell you do not try to over swing the clubs just let it work with you and you will see success.

I took this guy to the range today for a small bucket. Bout what I couod do with all we had going. Next week is a return to work and for me, more golf!!! Did a lot of family stuff since the kids were off school. Good times.

I didnt have a great day ball striking but man is the Mashie consistant and forgiving. Even with our cold weather the ball still tore up the sky. I did find myself looking up a lot today which caused some toppers. That wasnt fun but if I managed to get some of the club on the ball, it still got out there a bit.

I compared to my Nickent (which I knocked the head off again haha, im not great at repairing clubs) and the difference in shafts its night and day. While I like the Nickent just fine, the Miyazaki is a lot more stout feeling. Especially when I flip/cast my hands.

Nothing major here just some more thoughts.

Excited to hear more from Rhino and TC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I finally got my mashie on today. Bought a large bucket to hit pre-round to get loose and because I haven't hit a ball in about a month. Warmed up with the pitching wedge and jumped straight to the mashie, haha.

A few things first. The mashie feels awesome! It seems to have some nice weighting in the head of the club and the partnership with the miyazaki is quality and reliable. Its been a while since I've had a hybrid in the bag (since the outing) and it did take me a few balls to get use to the setup.

The sound is different for sure. While it doesn't sound like hybrids I've hit in the past, it doesn't sound like hitting my long irons either. It sounds to me as solid as it feels, if that makes sense.

Distance is good but I was without GPS to really be accurate. The ball flight is really high but without sacraficing distance. I struggled to flight the ball low myself.

I used it on the course a ton. The one thing I didn't like about it on the range transferred to the course, and that was my miss with it. I typically hit straight balls or balls with a slight fade. I couldn't fade the mashie hardly at all and my miss was a huge hook. This is something I don't see much or something I'm not use to. I didn't hook it everytime but when I didn't hit it straight.........big hook. On the course I hit the mashie a total of 11 times.........7 of them off the tee. Out of the 7 tee shots two were hooked into the fairway to my right. I still got awesome distance but it was a big high hook. The other 5 tee shots were straight, high, and long. I'm sure it's more user error and not the club.

I take a couple of things from this. One, I honestly think this is a perfect option for someone who struggles with a slice. Two, you cannot over power the mashie. It was when I got after it that I saw the hooks. I should've been listening to the other testers b/c we all seem to agree that the mashie works best when it's swung smoothly and all those awesome components get to work.

At this point I know I need more time with the mashie. I love the feel and the weight. I love the long, high ball flight. I am nervous about why I'm hooking it. I did shoot a 73 today though and it was the mashie's maiden voyage......coincidence?

At any rate, I'm impressed, intrigued still, and looking forward to more testing. Dio I have the mashie fever? Not sure at this point.

Great first thoughts. My gut feeling is the hook was coming from the shaft and it being the 1st time out with it. You will certainly get it dialed in and then look out if you are shooting 73 today and like the feel.

Great first thoughts. My gut feeling is the hook was coming from the shaft and it being the 1st time out with it. You will certainly get it dialed in and then look out if you are shooting 73 today and like the feel.

I don't think you can be too aggressive with this club (ie, over power it). In my brief time with it I found that if I let the club do its thing, blamo! Mashie time!

Love the ball flight and distance though.

Awesome initial thoughts TC, I'm happy you got to experience the mash fest. Since you mentioned the sound from a flushed super black hit earlier, how would compare the two clubs. I know sound doesn't affect ball flight but I for one love that POP I get when I get it right with the super black. kind of an audible clue for me as to know how I hit it so I don't immediately pick my head up.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

awesome input TC. I think you're right, if you try to go after a shot with the Mashie it makes you pay and voila! it's a hook. Almost forces you to swing in tempo and let the shaft and clubhead do the work for you. so was it worth the wait and was seeing/hitting believing? 73 is an awesome round while trying to get the club figured out!

nice initial review TC. Sounds like you had a pretty good round. I'm sure you will get the hook under control. Do you think the hook was caused by the lightness of the shaft?

Awesome initial thoughts TC, I'm happy you got to experience the mash fest. Since you mentioned the sound from a flushed super black hit earlier, how would compare the two clubs. I know sound doesn't affect ball flight but I for one love that POP I get when I get it right with the super black. kind of an audible clue for me as to know how I hit it so I don't immediately pick my head up.

You definitely don't get the superblack sound. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. It just sounds solid, like "crack" as opposed to that "ping" or "ting" you get from the adams. It' a very good different bro.

nice initial review TC. Sounds like you had a pretty good round. I'm sure you will get the hook under control. Do you think the hook was caused by the lightness of the shaft?

Personally, I do. I think that paired with the weight of the head and the fact that my driver and 3w have heavier shafts. Ironically, the smoothing of the swing the mashie imparts transferred into everything else today. I hit 12 out of 18 greens man! If I could've dropped more putts it could've been an awesome round

^ thanks for the quick answer. I hadn't had the opportunity to hit an Adams when I was able to try the mashie a few months ago and my memory sucks so I could not remember the impact sound.

How would someone who does not have access to a miyazaki fitter go about getting the proper flex code in these hybrids? I asked about these shafts at the local stores and was met with blank stares.

^ thanks for the quick answer. I hadn't had the opportunity to hit an Adams when I was able to try the mashie a few months ago and my memory sucks so I could not remember the impact sound.

How would someone who does not have access to a miyazaki fitter go about getting the proper flex code in these hybrids? I asked about these shafts at the local stores and was met with blank stares.

I know miyazaki is close to launching their online fitting service. May be best to wait until then.

Just got back from a loooong day on the course. I enjoyed a good round today with the Mashie and finally got to use it for some of the shots I have been wanting to see for myself, out of the rough and also fairway bunkers.

The Mashie lifted the ball right out of the rough with ease, sacraficing little distance despite not having the perfect lie. As long as you keep yourself under control, this club will perform. I got myself in some trouble near the end of the round when I tried to over swing and wound up hitting a poor shot.

I found myself in one fairway bunker and for that shot the Mashie came through picking the ball clean off the sand and dropping it in the fairway. The three times I teed off with the club I was rewarded with a high flight and great distance.

At the range before and a couple times on the course I let my golf buddies use it for a few shots and they were greatly impressed.

Another good day overall for the Mashie!! It continues to shine and be the club I have needed and wanted in my bag.

TC, I am not sure what is up with the hook with your Mashie. I would have that problem with the Nicket I had in my bag before the Mashie but I have not experienced it since the switch. The shots that would hook with the Nickent now fly straight, just less distance that if hit on the screws.

Dont feel bad TC, im having the hooking problems to. Its either a small baby draw(normal shot)/big swooping draw or the hook. I honestly think it has to do with the lightness of the club and were just not used to it yet. But each time I have gone out I have seen better and better results and I think the same thing will happen to you as you get more comfortable with the weight. Its going to be real scary once you get it figured out, I mean a month off, brand new club and you shoot a 73, thats just nuts! lol

Nice job TC and WR!

TC - enjoyed your very thorough write-up.

We both seem to have the same stock shot without the Mashie and our miss seems to be the same with the Mashie. I wonder if it's due to the shaft being tip soft?

Awesome write ups TC ad Rhino! Smooth swing does the trick. I found I could go after it as long as I didnt get handsy and it would do its thing!

TC, how stout did the shaft feel to you?

TC - enjoyed your very thorough write-up.

We both seem to have the same stock shot without the Mashie and our miss seems to be the same with the Mashie. I wonder if it's due to the shaft being tip soft?

I wonder the same thing bro. Not sure, but like I said, I think the smooth swing I was putting on the mashie helped the other facets of my game tremendously. I tend to get quick anyway and the mashie forces me not to. Like I said 12/18 gir's and a solid score......I'll take that. The big hooks scare me.

Awesome write ups TC ad Rhino! Smooth swing does the trick. I found I could go after it as long as I didnt get handsy and it would do its thing!

TC, how stout did the shaft feel to you?

Oops! Yeah, the shaft does feel stout enough for sure, hence me missing to the right.

Very nice write ups guys. Really enjoying the Mashie Reports so far.

Back