Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

good question there SMG...I am not a tester but I have hit both. First off, the obvious is the shaft. Second I want to say that I never was a fan of the SB, but really enjoyed hitting the mashie. I think the mashie feels better with good contact. the SB seemed just a little harsh for my liking.

To me its not even close. I liked the Super Black hybrid, but did not love it. In my opinion it plays far more like a FW wood than it does a hybrid. When comparing shafts, I am just not sure there is a comparison. I think the Voodoo is a decent shaft, but just do not love it for my swing. Distance was very similar for me between the two, but outside of that, it is a no brainer for me.

Thanks. I cant wait to try the Mashie. Are we looking at a Feb 2011 release date from Cleveland?

Ive hit the superblack pro a lot of times. The shafts arent even close imo. The ball flight of SB Pro is pretty good. Just not as penetrating or high as the Mashie (imo again).

The Mashie is also in another league as far as forgiveness for my swing.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id give the nod to the Mashie when compared to anything Adams. I agree with JB that the Super Black is more fairway wood like. It also has a longer shaft and this can lead to some having trouble controlling it. Feel is much better with the Mashie and that probably has a lot to do with the exceptional shaft. The Super Black will give you a nice crack on flush shots and distance is pretty good. Over all though its easy to go with the Mashie - better shaft, just as good looks, better feel and equal distance in something easier to control, imo.

Just played catch-up with this thread, great work from all the testers!! Keep up the awesome work guys!! I've definitely got me some Mashie fever right now. The Outing can't come quickly enough so I can play around with one of these again!!

To me its not even close. I liked the Super Black hybrid, but did not love it. In my opinion it plays far more like a FW wood than it does a hybrid. When comparing shafts, I am just not sure there is a comparison. I think the Voodoo is a decent shaft, but just do not love it for my swing. Distance was very similar for me between the two, but outside of that, it is a no brainer for me.
Agreed, I could not have said it better.

I think the Adams looks better, I just like that black finish, but the performance is blown away.

Yooz guys are really getting me hyped over this Mashie.

well, i've yet to hit the mashie but i actually quite liked the superblack myself. it does resemble a fairway wood more so than the mashie but i loved the sound off the face of the superblack. you knew you hit it on the screws just by the sound at impact. i also agree with biggsy in that the superblack is superhawt but then again, the mashie and its throwback look is just as awesome and unique.

great question SMG, i hope to have my own answer constructed in the future for you.

Yeah, I really want to hear your thoughts TC. I remember how you were aching for an SB last year. From what I am reading this Mashie the truth.

Ok, if I've missed it in 30 odd pages this doesn't count as skimming :tongue:
MSRP as of yet? Trying to do a cost compairson of these vs a reshafted Rescue

Ok, if I've missed it in 30 odd pages this doesn't count as skimming :tongue:
MSRP as of yet? Trying to do a cost compairson of these vs a reshafted Rescue

It appears they will be between $149-$199. We do not have the exact info as of yet. We have seen $199 the whole time, but then a few rumors have said $149. So I am just not sure.

It appears they will be between $149-$199. We do not have the exact info as of yet. We have seen $199 the whole time, but then a few rumors have said $149. So I am just not sure.

Let's hope they are $149!! That is a sick price for everything you're getting. But then again, $199 wouldn't be bad either. Definitely worth it.

I hope its $149! I would be more likely to buy 2 at that price.

TC's Mashie 3H Unboxing Pics and Initial Thoughts

TC's Mashie 3H Unboxing Pics and Initial Thoughts

Well, the day has arrived and my Mashie finally made it to the front door. I'm very excited about its arrival and i must say that it is absolutely gorgeous in hand, and especially when it is yours.

163857_490424918426_537878426_5889896_1275463_n.jpg

I want to thank Cleveland golf and THP for this wondeful opportunity. Testing equipment is something that I enjoy and something that I take very seriously. I've said before and I'll say it again, no golf club has ever been so interesting or ingriguing to me as the Mashie has been. From the first time I saw it at the Outing, I knew it was going to be something special. Then to stand and watch golfer after golfer hit it, turn and almost be speechless because of what they were experiencing was something that I knew I wanted to experience. The Mashie was the highlight and the hit of the outing and we all have been on the forum since that wonderful weekend talking about how awesome it is, how phenomenal it performed, and how many were without a shadow of a doubt, going to put one in their golf bags.

Since then I have been testing the Burner 2.0 irons and I fell in love with the performance and results from the 3iron and the 4iron. I honestly never thought that I would put another hybrid in my bag as long as I was gaming the 2.0's. Does the Mashie have what it takes? The jury's still out on that one, but I am very fortunate to be able to find out if it has the goods.

I'm looking for the Mashie to be forgiving, to not magnify my miss (fade/slice) like previous hybrids, and more importantly, for the supreme confidence that I've developed in my long irons. If it can do this, it will go in the bag. I have to admit, I am preconceived to think that it will, solely based on what i've read and seen for myself.

Here are my initial impressions:

For many of you that know me here, you know that looks isn't that big of a deal to me. However, the Mashie is just stunning. The retro finish on the head is awesome and I love that Cleveland went that direction with this golf club. The sole is simple when it comes to text or any type of graphics, and the almost "mirror'd or chrome'd" sole just speaks "clean" to me.

166164_490425243426_537878426_5889901_1673620_n.jpg

164118_490425058426_537878426_5889898_3271611_n.jpg

The shaft is what really catches my eye! I'm not big on bright, bold coloring so the dark shaft, paired with the Asian influenced Miyazaki shaft is just artistic, but in a subtle, geometrical way. The grip is simple and clean of alignment lines and i quite like the way that it feels. I must admit, the fact that it comes with a Miyazaki speaks volumes to me. I am a firm believer in that particular line and know that it's a phenomenal shaft that just flat out works. The fact that a shaft of this caliber comes stock in a hybrid is something that I believe will force the hand of many other manufacturers. It truly is ground breaking that Cleveland was the first to go this route and I believe they'll see phenomenal success because of that.

166430_490424983426_537878426_5889897_4117003_n.jpg

Again, I want to thank Cleveland and THP for this opportunity. I cannot wait to get the Mashie to the course in order to begin what I hope is the beginning of a long relationship. I also want to thank the other testers for their insight and findings thus far, you've all done a great job and you all have me so antsy to get the Mashie to the course asap! It's a pleasure to share this experience with you guys.

Nicely done! But dude, whats all that white stuff on the ground? lol

I think this thing will be perfect for you, I have only hit 3-4 slices with it, I dont think you will see any of that. Cant wait for you to hit it!

I hit mine again today, will post up some more thoughts on it here in a little bit.

Last edited:
Nice pics, TC! Looking forward to seeing how you like and getting to compare notes with you.

Wow that club looks even better in lefty! Really looking forward to your thoughts on this club TC, as you did an amazing job with the 2.0s.

Glad you finally got it!! Can't wait to start reading your reviews TC!!

Great job TC! Nice picture additions with the snow background.

Hey TC the top of the clubhead almost looks like a dark grey marble looking color, kind of like you see on counter tops in homes, doesnt it?

Alright!!! Finallly!!! I am happy that you got your Mashie TC!! Best of luck with it !!!

TC, photobucket is your friend you know.

Nice job TC, looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Why is it backwards on the shaft? :D

Back