Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Review Thread

I'd be interested in putting a DG Spinner shaft in it. I'm primarily interested in it for chipping (naturally) but it wouldn't hurt to have it available for full swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throwing a Spinner in it would be fun for sure.

JB, what's the max swing you would feel comfortable making with the S model? Fresh off struggling with partial wedge shots but don't really think this club is designed for that

Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Review Thread

Well shucks, you got it!

Looking forward to providing feedback and thanks for the opportunity!

@cookie - thanks for asking the question! A similar thought is swirling in my brain. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on full swings. Hope you'll be able be compare same loft vs loft with two different club styles (sole widths).

I'm not looking for more yardage. However, very interested in hearing about consistency and predictability.

#getCLOSER

JB, what's the max swing you would feel comfortable making with the S model? Fresh off struggling with partial wedge shots but don't really think this club is designed for that

I don't think there is one, no different than any wedge. War Eagle and I threw some serious swings at the 2.0 during a testing a while back.

I don't think there is one, no different than any wedge. War Eagle and I threw some serious swings at the 2.0 during a testing a while back.

Thanks JB. It's probably mental but if it was offered in 56deg this would be a heavy ponder.

@cookie - thanks for asking the question! A similar thought is swirling in my brain. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on full swings. Hope you'll be able be compare same loft vs loft with two different club styles (sole widths).

I'm not looking for more yardage. However, very interested in hearing about consistency and predictability.

#getCLOSER

My pleasure to find out that detail. I'm playing the 2014 Apex which has the 9i at 40* and PW at 45*. From a pure loft perspective and not considering shaft length, for me if I had an Apex iron at 42* that would be 124 yards.

While I doubt I would take a bunch of full swings (I like my Apex in that wedge and short iron range), I'm most interested in the area where I use the 54* (20 - 80 yards).

Then the kicker with the shaft length....my Apex 9i/PW are 36" and 35.75" respectively while the SS3 C is 34" so definitely a significant difference which has to play into yardage that I will see from it.

My mind is spinning with potential. My goal is always to make the game easier, I have no ego. I played the Altitudes and absolutely loved them. Excited to get this one into the bag and provide some hopefully useful feedback for the readers of THP!

Looking forward to your feedback Cookie. Congrats on the tap!

Didnt spend much time with the previous versions, but certainly wanna try these out and see if they help improve the woeful short game at all (especially sand wise)

Thanks JB. It's probably mental but if it was offered in 56deg this would be a heavy ponder.

Have you ever played the set SW or LW in a "chunky" GI iron? To me the SS plays a lot like that from non-bunker lies.

Would definitely like to give the S 58* a go. I believe it would really help out my short game and bunker shots.

Have you ever played the set SW or LW in a "chunky" GI iron? To me the SS plays a lot like that from non-bunker lies.
Good info! I played a set SW from the r7xd when I started. Hoping this has a bit better feel

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Love that this line continues to move forward. Having owned the first and second S wedge, I will probably get the third edition as well. I have played these for nearly 3 years now, and it's the only 58* wedge I carry. Crazy versatile and makes my wedge game a no brainer.

I played the original for the better part of the season, and once I got my head around to hitting sand shots square, it was pretty automatic. Interested in seeing the feedback on the new S. Don't know that it could replace my PM grind but sometimes I think my wedge game could use some simplification! :D

Thanks to a very clever idea, I received the “THP Shoulder Tap” (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?90776-THP-Shoulder-Tap) last week and was given the opportunity to provide feedback on the Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 C wedge.

It was shipped my way and arrived yesterday so I went ahead and snapped some photos in comparison with a traditional wedge and also a PW and 9i. I chose the PW and 9i due to the loft of the SS 3.0 C being at 42* and falling in the middle of these 2 irons from a loft perspective. This new offering from Cleveland just screams “Niblick” to me and is definitely a reminder of one that I gamed a few years back. It has an unquestionably short sole to top line profile which makes it appear wider than it really is. I’ve moved away from using my 54* around the greens and moved to using anything from 8i – AW with pretty good success so this will be replacing those when at all possible, really excited to put this one to the test!

Unfortunately USPS had a volleyball match with the package and broke the graphite shaft in transit so I will be re-shafting with a KBS CTL shaft this week (ordered some fresh epoxy yesterday) before testing both on range and course this weekend. If you have any questions that I can answer, please post them up.

7999c30f2bdef16b776b510d9f39b4d4.jpg

a035e56a8a084edf69fa6e82af25dda5.jpg

4c403a6ebdd8cc47d909a82d4786c8a4.jpg

2f0529fb67d90494d1dae836d1487772.jpg

8809331af3befa662b6bd46787bc9a3f.jpg

a42a08119c20d5a2007b1a33833868b4.jpg

ac9bc42a9de7ae947f8926b5e084ce92.jpg

f492540eaa956b0db6e01a642f1fde46.jpg

73d782bba50b22ba231118421a03f780.jpg

the shaft was cracked? Damn. Cleveland won't get you a replacement out? That's kind of a bummer

great pics cookie, looking forward to following along, as this one with my sketchy sand and short game is of interest.

Also side note, if it was sent USPS priority than I think it comes with insurance (up to $50) might be worth looking into to reduce/eliminate reshafting costs.

the shaft was cracked? Damn. Cleveland won't get you a replacement out? That's kind of a bummer

We offered to have Cookie send it back to us and we can get a replacement ordered for him or reshaft it, totally his call.

We offered to have Cookie send it back to us and we can get a replacement ordered for him or reshaft it, totally his call.

is the graphite shaft in the same that's in the RTX3 wedges, that rotex graphite?

I believe it is.

I think so also but will double check once home since I have both clubs in hand now.

The look kinda reminds me of the Ping I20/i25 irons.

is the graphite shaft in the same that's in the RTX3 wedges, that rotex graphite?

After looking I don't think they are the same. Slightly different finishes and the RTX says Rotex Graphite on it while the SS 3 graphite shaft has virtually no markings at all.

Man, sucks about the shaft. Real bad luck
Is the unique look (low face height & visible rear) in any way distracting when standing over the ball?

Man, sucks about the shaft. Real bad luck
Is the unique look (low face height & visible rear) in any way distracting when standing over the ball?

The look doesn't bother me at all but I could see where it may some others. Of course, those looking for help around the greens in a specialty club like this may care even less about looks than most.

Of course, I also played Cleveland Altitudes for awhile so a little junk in the trunk is right up my alley.

To me, I like looking down and seeing the extra mass on the back of the clubhead ... it helps me with my confidence.

Mike
MPM1960

Got the KBS CTL shaft installed into the SS 3-C yesterday so will have a range session later this morning followed by a round tomorrow morning. Really excited to see what this one is all about.

Back