Club Champion Acquires TXG

I don't know why they'd call it a 'partnership' if a rebrand was coming. Also "and both brands will lean on each other to produce even more quality content for golfers of all levels."

I don't know either but just curious what will would offer the biggest bang.. For both sides.

no doubt both serve to benefit, and some of the Canadian economics/lockdown issues might be at play here for TXG, but I just am trying to wrap my head around CC doing this. Not so say expansion is not great and you need to evolve constantly, I'm just initially shocked and want to see this one play out because it feels like TXG will lose some of the organic way they have been delivering content via their YouTube channel. I guess my hope is that CC won't go in and make TXG more "corporate" if that makes sense.
That's totally reasonable.

What I love about this, is that while CC is the big guy here, TXG has clearly shown their superiority in the digital setting - so drawing them back or reeling them in makes VERY little sense.

Is this about hurting, or pure expansion? Like mentioned by CC, both parties serve to benefit, especially Club Champion who are only just starting to really dabble into the YouTube aspect of things. TXG powered by Club Champion sounds awesome to me.

If there is hurt. It would seem to me to be on the TXG side. 15 months and running strict Canada lockdowns have to have had a deep impact on their business. This could be a bit of a saving grace for them.

i'd assume absolutely yes for ian. matt, i'm not so sure about. i don't believe he has an ownership in txg. i could see them starting a media company together when the youtube thing took off, but i don't know for sure. iirc he and ian first got together because ian saw a video matt did for shawn clement, and ian wanted matt to help him film short clips to post on txg's site talking about txg's philosophy. and i may be wrong but i think matt was the one who encouraged ian to do more content and post it to youtube.
Crossfield talked with them about that in an interview once. If I recall, at the time, Ian owned the TXG shops and they were partners in the YouTube channel.

no doubt both serve to benefit, and some of the Canadian economics/lockdown issues might be at play here for TXG, but I just am trying to wrap my head around CC doing this. Not so say expansion is not great and you need to evolve constantly, I'm just initially shocked and want to see this one play out because it feels like TXG will lose some of the organic way they have been delivering content via their YouTube channel. I guess my hope is that CC won't go in and make TXG more "corporate" if that makes sense.
Just as an aside. This has not been a short process. We first learned about this months ago and have looked at The who, what and why. It does make sense for all parties and those that feel one side is one thing and the other something different, honestly they were super similar already in terms of their core business.

I was trying to think of a way to phrase my thoughts without sounding too negative. I think this is pretty close to where i'm at as well.

Just as an aside. This has not been a short process. We first learned about this months ago and have looked at The who, what and why. It does make sense for all parties and those that feel one side is one thing and the other something different, honestly they were super similar already in terms of their core business.

stuff like this isn't an overnight decision for sure. I am sure both sides looked at all the good and bad from all angles. As a consumer it just catches me off guard because I never equated the two as being similar or even playing in the same space to need this in order to maximize exposure where they might be lacking. I know both offer fittings, etc., but if you asked me about club reviews, podcast or online presence, I never would have thought about CC. That might be my small circle of golf content I consume though.

Reactions: KEV
stuff like this isn't an overnight decision for sure. I am sure both sides looked at all the good and bad from all angles. As a consumer it just catches me off guard because I never equated the two as being similar or even playing in the same space to need this in order to maximize exposure where they might be lacking. I know both offer fittings, etc., but if you asked me about club reviews, podcast or online presence, I never would have thought about CC. That might be my small circle of golf content I consume though.
Yep, I think most of use our reviewing primarily through the content lens. Be interesting to watch how the content evolves.

Good for them! Its great to see a FITTER specific.....growing. That means getting fit is becoming more and more popular. Thats a good thing for golf.

In Ian case, this is what Entrepreneurs do, they build up a business, get it up the hill as far as they can, realize they get it any further without a major investment and then sell to someone that can get it to the top.

Wow!

Wasn't expecting it but completely makes sense from a business perspective from both company's perspective. Be interesting to see if they continue spreading the TXG brand or the Club Champion brand as they cross Canada.

Wasn't expecting it but completely makes sense from a business perspective from both company's perspective. Be interesting to see if they continue spreading the TXG brand or the Club Champion brand as they cross Canada.
Would love to see more TXG across Canada, hopefully this allows for a spread west and a bigger market of options for the consumer.

Wonder if this has any effect on TXG using Foresight vs. Trackman. Ian seems to greatly prefer his GC. Either way, it's a great opportunity for both sides.
Feels like it would depend on the deal between CC and Trackman and how it would apply there. Everyone has their feelings and Ian has definitely explained his preference in detail. @Canadan saying he was trusting the quad readings over the Trackman ones at the Chicago CC on live video still cracks me up to this day.

There are the new RCT balls to consider now too probably in all of that.

This is not a surprise, you could see the hints over the past 12 months in some of Ian's commentary. This will be a Win-Win for both, Ian and team will get a retirement nest egg and together will allow for further global expansion. Ian's global reputation will drive that CC expansion and the resources of CC will ease the load. I can see Ian driving the social media/testing side of the CC/TXG partnership as they do a great job and well respected.

Did not see this coming at all but it is exciting news.
I hope not much changes as far as TXG's content goes.

Hmm. This is a surprise!

Definitely didn't see this coming and will be curious to see if and how the content at TXG changes. It makes a lot of sense from my outside perspective looking in for Club Champion to want to work with all-star content creators. In my opinion it could be a boon for driving fittings for CC.

They were/are Canada's version of Club Champion (Ian Fraser was originally a partner).
If I want a higher end brand agnostic fitting in western Canada, I go to Modern Golf.
I agree probably a blow to Modern Golf (at least West of the Ontario market) . I don't see any quick Impact in BC for Modern Golf (& GolfTec and a couple of smaller fitters). I can't see Club Champion jumping into this local market with a physical presence, at least right away. But...MG was booked a head for months ahead last year, with the current golf frenzy presumaly augmented with reduced fitting capacity with Covid protocols, so who knows?

I would have gone with MG for a fitting last year but for the booking delay; went for a quick Ping rep iron fitting instead that proved to be an expensive bad equipment experiment. So another option for full brand fittings-other than GolfTec - would be good.

Wonder if Ian negotiated a "Piece of Ownership"

Uh, oh. Club TXG?!? I hope Ian and Matt continue making the same content in the same manner. It feels as if they are talking directly to us with the way they present.

I believe TXG has two locations , one in Ontario and one in Toronto. I don't think Club Champion acquired or merged with TXG to only acquire two fitting locations. TXG does a great job and is known to people here or others who really research equipment but I assume their exposure is nowhere near where this affiliation with Club Champion can take them. I am guessing Club Champion will maintain the TXG model and name, expand on it and get great amounts of exposure and growth from it and do things and go places neither party has done or been to yet. Seems like a great move for all parties involved.

Random thought, has anyone thought to think that maybe its TXG that needed this?

That’s truly interesting. I would not have called that merger. Are they co-branding?

That’s truly interesting. I would not have called that merger. Are they co-branding?
Its not a merger, but rather Club Champion acquired TXG and their two locations and content.

Back