Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

Had the opportunity to play 36 holes with amp cell demo this weekend and must say I was impressed. Hit a lot of fairways and hit some really deep. I would agree with most of the comments that this is a fairway finder. I just really love the look at address, this big ole head really inspires confidence. I didn't get to mess with the settings, used it at 10.5* with a reg. flex shaft and found this perfect for my 90 mph swing. This may become my gamer, so far I hit this better than Taylormade R1, Callaway xtreme and hot. Just need to hit the cleveland custom xl before I pull the trigger on this bad boy. The only other choice I would have to make is whethor or not to go blue or orange?

Great to hear you had similar experiences as TexasHacker and me! I, too, pitted it against the R1, Extreme, Xhot and RBZ Stage 2. I hit the Stage 2 the longest, but that wasn't a surprise considering it is much lighter. Nothing gave me the combo of distance and accuracy that the Amp Cell did. No driver ever has.

In terms of color? Well, blue of course!

loving all the early talk about these. Seems like they just seem to perform for a lot of people so far. I'm itching it get one in the bag. I've seen a lot of VERY good prices on these on the bay. If I wasn't going to have one in the near future I'd be all over some of those prices.

I know right! I can't wait either. Has been great results for sure in here.

Amphibians can tapatalk!

I took my Amp Cell Pro to the PGATSS last night for a practice session and I had some interesting results that I need to check outside on a real range. I started with the loft set on my usual 9.5° and was getting some fairly high launch for me but mainly I was hitting a lot of pulls and pull draws. (I think these monitors only categorize shots as pulls, pushes or straight. I pull fade or push draw is almost non-existent)

So I set it to 10.5° to see what it would do there. Higher spin, higher launch, less distance and further left.

I set it down to 8.5° and got predictable results. Lower spin, lower launch, a little more roll but not as far left but still pulling.

So then I thought I'd see if the fade bias setting would help straighten me out. On the 9.5°F setting I hit one left then started pounding shots down the middle in a 2 yard wide area. I moved it to the 8.5°F and more of the same except longer! I liked the idea of the fade setting on the Amp Cell Pro in that it doesn't really open the face because of the smart pad but it flattens out the lie a little but I have been a little hesitant to use it because my miss is a big push fade. But maybe I've found something here. I need to verify this on the course though.
That's awesome to hear, I've been thinking that is the way to go for me as well, what was your typical miss with your old driver?

All you Cobra homers are really tickling my desire to give old blue a test drive :blob:

All you Cobra homers are really tickling my desire to give old blue a test drive :blob:

how did you walk out of the store with irons but not this driver?

I want to see the ladies blue driver in person. No where around here seems to have it.

how did you walk out of the store with irons but not this driver?

Funny thing is, I was probably the furthest thing from a Cobra guy before hitting this at the AC event.

Funny thing is, I was probably the furthest thing from a Cobra guy before hitting this at the AC event.

I think there are a lot of people that are like that. Let's face is Cobra really was kind of an afterthought IMO. I think they made a good splash by signing Fowler, they made their clubs "louder" in color which warrants attention. But they also backed it up with solid performing clubs. A lot of talk about the New Callaway, I see Cobra making a transition to relevancy as well. Around THP they picked up some momentum last year and they will pick up even more this year. How much that carries over to marketshare and real world sales, I don't know, but it sounds like a lot more people are looking at Cobra products last year and this year than did the previous years.

I still remember the drives I was hitting in Iowa with this driver so I do still have a secret love affection with this Cell!

That's awesome to hear, I've been thinking that is the way to go for me as well, what was your typical miss with your old driver?
My typical miss for a while has been some low on the heel and some high on the toe. That is why I like the face shape tech on the Cobras. I also have a big push fade creep in some times. I'll hit the center of the club face but leave it open, but that is not the driver's fault.

I think there are a lot of people that are like that. Let's face is Cobra really was kind of an afterthought IMO. I think they made a good splash by signing Fowler, they made their clubs "louder" in color which warrants attention. But they also backed it up with solid performing clubs. A lot of talk about the New Callaway, I see Cobra making a transition to relevancy as well. Around THP they picked up some momentum last year and they will pick up even more this year. How much that carries over to marketshare and real world sales, I don't know, but it sounds like a lot more people are looking at Cobra products last year and this year than did the previous years.

So so true. 2 companies really moving in the right direction

Cobra did really well to get out from under Acushnet. After being widely popular in the mid/late 90's to early 2000s they did somehow get the stigma of a lesser brand maybe because Acushnet promoted Titleist much more and there weren't many top level pros playing Cobra. But now Cobra and Puma are a really good fit brand-wise and I think this is only the start of their accent back to prominent status.

twoods, how did it feel and sound compaired to your 07 burner. I had an 07 burner (it was recently stolen) and I loved the feel of it and have not been able to find any '13 driver to match the feel.

Cobra did really well to get out from under Acushnet. After being widely popular in the mid/late 90's to early 2000s they did somehow get the stigma of a lesser brand maybe because Acushnet promoted Titleist much more and there weren't many top level pros playing Cobra. But now Cobra and Puma are a really good fit brand-wise and I think this is only the start of their accent back to prominent status.

Puma have always been great with marketing and this has been nothing but a great match thus far and hopefully continues in this direction.

My typical miss for a while has been some low on the heel and some high on the toe. That is why I like the face shape tech on the Cobras. I also have a big push fade creep in some times. I'll hit the center of the club face but leave it open, but that is not the driver's fault.
Interesting, I ask because those pulls and large draws you were seeing is my typical miss and I was wondering if the fade settings of the pro would be a good medium to help fix that!!!

Interesting, I ask because those pulls and large draws you were seeing is my typical miss and I was wondering if the fade settings of the pro would be a good medium to help fix that!!!
That is exactly what I intend to find out on the outdoor range very soon. I just have to make sure I put the good swing on it.

That is exactly what I intend to find out on the outdoor range very soon. I just have to make sure I put the good swing on it.

I can't wait to follow your progress. Thank you so much for the info!!!

Siri speaks for me!

New Guy here. Been reading about the new Cell for a few weeks and was very excited. Almost just bought one blind. Hit it today at GG and was disappointed as my launch monitor readings were 18* 4500+ spin!!! I was hitting the Covert about 20 yrds longer. Blaming the GG LM, I drove to Edwin Watts to try it there. Unfortunately same results...high, short, and tons of spin. Again the Covert was better. Just for comparison sake, I tried my Adams Fast 12 LS and it was longer and straighter than both. From other posts, it seems like you either kill this thing or balloon it. Sadly, I'm the latter.

New Guy here. Been reading about the new Cell for a few weeks and was very excited. Almost just bought one blind. Hit it today at GG and was disappointed as my launch monitor readings were 18* 4500+ spin!!! I was hitting the Covert about 20 yrds longer. Blaming the GG LM, I drove to Edwin Watts to try it there. Unfortunately same results...high, short, and tons of spin. Again the Covert was better. Just for comparison sake, I tried my Adams Fast 12 LS and it was longer and straighter than both. From other posts, it seems like you either kill this thing or balloon it. Sadly, I'm the latter.

that's disappointing but at least you gave it a shot right? Outside of the numbers, what did you think of it in terms or look, sound/feel?

Loved it. Wanted to buy it so badly. Great look and it felt incredible...very solid. But it was much shorter than Covert and my Adams Fast 12 LS. Maybe I can go back to Edwin Watts and try it with the Pro shaft? Very strange because I've read such good things about that shaft too. ????

Loved it. Wanted to buy it so badly. Great look and it felt incredible...very solid. But it was much shorter than Covert and my Adams Fast 12 LS. Maybe I can go back to Edwin Watts and try it with the Pro shaft? Very strange because I've read such good things about that shaft too. ????

What were you spin numbers with the Covert in comparison?

Did you mess with the settings at all and if so did a change in loft affect the #'s any?

Did you mess with the settings at all and if so did a change in loft affect the #'s any?

That's a great question, I was thinking the same thing, did you get to try the Pro version at all?

Neither store had a Pro. I spray the ball so I prefer 460 to 440. But the shaft would be worth a try. I did adjust to 8.5 but that didn't help much...moon balls all day.

Back