Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

I would strongly consider it for you. The whole aggressive swing part worries me a bit though I hit it ok on the course in a different head. Also I can't find any SS recommendations on Matrix website.

I'd say I am pretty aggressive hahah

I would strongly consider it for you. The whole aggressive swing part worries me a bit though I hit it ok on the course in a different head. Also I can't find any SS recommendations on Matrix website.

click fitting, under the shaft for SS recommendations hoss.

How would you describe the launch and spin?

I found for me it was a mid-launch, pretty darn low spin. I had it in the Cover tuned to 11.5. It felt better than the made-for in the Cell I have now for sure. I believe the Nike guy said a stiff tip and a softer butt end. I enjoyed it a lot, found it to be very straight for me and felt smooth as heck

Ok went and hit some shafts at golf galaxy. Hit the Kuro Kage X and it was too stiff. Like swinging a tire iron stiff to me. So lots of distance loss. Wasn't too keen on feel either. Thats the only flex thy had so im sure that had something to do with it. Couldnt get the ball up in the air. Then I hit the stock stiff and it felt pretty nice. Had around 2300 spin with it. And I hit the diamana and it was pretty decent too. My club head lead ranged from 101 to 103 when I was warmed up and around 96 when I first started hitting. I haven't made my decision yet. But down to 3. I noticed that I choked down naturally so this is throwing me off on length I want.

Will either be or PX 5.5 black or the stock Fuel 55 Stiff or Rip phenom 50 stiff

Last edited:
Man there is no reason for me to ponder another shaft in this beast. Just got back from the range and I was absolutely punishing the ball with the driver into a stiff wind and the ball had no ballooning at all.

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

Well after spending an hour over lunch talking with our course pro about it, I know I'm going AMP Cell in Red for the head, but not sure on the shafts, I think I have like 10 I'm pondering and researching hard!!!

Then my phone rings, it's the local Cobra Rep who says he's about an hour away and would swing through my town to fit me, holy cow this is amazing customer service. So in about 45 minutes I'm off to swing for the fences and let him recommend for me what he thinks I should play, he says he has custom shafts, so hopefully I'll be able to get some in hand time with some I'm looking at. I'll have a full write up on it tonight!

Well after spending an hour over lunch talking with our course pro about it, I know I'm going AMP Cell in Red for the head, but not sure on the shafts, I think I have like 10 I'm pondering and researching hard!!!

Then my phone rings, it's the local Cobra Rep who says he's about an hour away and would swing through my town to fit me, holy cow this is amazing customer service. So in about 45 minutes I'm off to swing for the fences and let him recommend for me what he thinks I should play, he says he has custom shafts, so hopefully I'll be able to get some in hand time with some I'm looking at. I'll have a full write up on it tonight!

Very nice. Can't wait to hear what he says. I hope it dosen't make me second guess. :alien:

Dude that is just awesome! I wish I were close to you. I'd tag along...

Holy awesome!! Can't wait to hear how this goes for you dude!!

too cool Kyle. way too cool.

that's pretty damn cool.

We could rule the world!

Wow, what an informational day when it comes to Cobra Drivers!!!

I spent about an hour with the pro at my course talking about the benefits and advantages of certain types of clubs over another and how they might fit into my current game and where I want to be. It was time well spent and very 10,000 foot view on how or what I should be playing and a great start to help finalize my driver search.

I then got a call from the local Cobra rep telling me he was going to drive down to lincoln to fit me and meet me at the local retailer this afternoon, how very cool!!! Kudos to him, Jim Hauth you rock. I will sing your praises until I run out of breathe.

I'll start from the end a bit, here's what he recommended:
CobraFittingMarch2013_zps8c12335d.jpg

We spent some time with drivers and irons so he wouldn't have to make another trip, but primarily on the driver. We started with the stock AMP Cell with the stock fuel driver, I was getting decent numbers, but not enough spin and too low launch. He then switched me to the stock pro head and stock pro shaft, wow what an amazing combination, I was almost ready to finish my order there, it was truly incredible. I was seeing launch between 12.5 to 14 with about 96 to 99 swing speed with 2500 to 3000 spin and I was seeing about 245 carry and 280 total. Which I was super duper happy with, then I tried every shaft they had in the cart:
IMG_1950_zps2679b75d.jpg
IMG_1951_zps489023ad.jpg

For me the finalist list was:
  • Stock Kuro Kage Black 60
  • RIP Phenom 60
  • Ozik White 6X3
I was able to try these three out and found the stock to be great, the RIP to be a bit better feel and almost identical results, and the white was a bit higher launch and a little less spin.

There are a couple others on the hope to hit list but they and he didn't have them:

• Motore F3 60
  • Ozik Red 6Q3
I really think the Red will be a perfect fit in that mid launch mid spin range, but I'm hoping to be able to hit it quite soon.

Jim was incredibly knowledgeable, I wish I could have video taped him talking just to give you all his knowledge. He asked me a few questions about my game, what I like, what I like to feel and he was able to dial me in almost perfectly before I even hit a shot!

The few things that stuck out in my mind were he wanted me about mid spin, mid launch to optimize it for me, he also asked what I thought about feel and described the telephone pole stiff feeling as a very low torque shaft and the whippy shaft as higher torque, I had never really thought about it that way, he said something about Ben Hogan said that a while ago, I didn't know they worried about torque back then. But then again after a whirlwind day I certainly could be forgetting that story!!!

I'll be happy to expand on anything if anyone has a specific question, but needless to say my ponder list is certainly smaller and I think I've got a finalist!

Did we find out about custom vs special order shafts?

Also Jim mentioned that the Red and Blue Pro heads wouldn't be available for a while is that true?

Jim mentioned lately the color popularity ranks:
  1. Blue
  2. Red
  3. Orange
  4. Silver

Sounds like an awesome experience Icey. Seems like a very knowledgable guy who really enjoys just helping golfers find what fits them. Also, amazing the service he provided in meeting you.

Really interested to see where this leaves you come time to make your MC order. That pro shaft/regular head combo sounds promising

Thanks for sharing Icey. Jim sounds like a great guy.

Thanks Icey! Very cool! Amp Pro is the way to go! :D

Very cool Icey! Surprised that the pro version gave you more spin!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Now it's only down to the grip...

NDMC or Z-grip cord...hmm...can't decide...

The z-grip is lighter...what would that do to the cell AMP pro ..?

Nice write up Icey!! Love that you that you got to get fitted for this so quick !

Back