Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

Due to cost and having hit one, I went F8+ Nardo for $248.88 delivered no tax for driver this year. I’m sure the F9 is better, but having nowhere to hit one around here, I went with the side thing. Set at 8* it launches higher than I’d like, but it is low enough spin that I don’t care. There’s a row of pine trees at the end of my range. I was hitting into 15-20mph of wind today and I hit a couple into the trees on the fly. Even though they were high as all get out, the spin was low enough to carry a decent distance.

Downwind the folks in the 6th fairway (beyond range) will be in trouble. I went with the 76gr HZRDUS Yellow in 6.5. It’s a good shaft for me, there are better out there but for my game, but standard selections, it’s as good as it gets.

I wanted to go F9 but I just couldn’t based on there not being a + model and me not being able to hit it beforehand. I appreciate all the feedback here though.

The Epic Flash SZ was in consideration but for $300.00 less and me knowing that I can line it up ok, I went F8+.

Going to Club Champion for a quick head to head with my current driver, interested in seeing how this turns out.

I have secretly been playing this driver for a couple of weeks now and well I'm impressed. Loving the combo of the Smoke and this head! Just forgiving and high launching bomber, I have hit a couple of drives on courses I'm very familiar and been in places I haven't hit from before. I have been working on my driving and it is paying dividends. I'm enjoying hitting driver and I haven't said that for awhile.

Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

Played 36 holes this weekend with this Club (Avalanche 10.5 Tour Length head) in play.

Longest was 254, Average or Smart distance is 236 yds, for the last two rounds.

50* weather and 30-40 mph wind on a Links course Saturday.

55* and no wind, but some good light drizzle yesterday.

Chromesoft 2018 Ball and Chromesoft X 2018 ball in play.

I'm still trying to dial in what I think is the optimal setup for me this year.

On LM it says 1.5* down weight forward is the optimal setup for me. I pick up 2 mph clubhead speed with that setup as well.

On Saturday, I played it 1.5 down weight forward and these were my results - wind pushed some of them right, but overall ball flight went from fade to full on slice city.

1a04fad48c7e8b36c38c7fd58df5fe5a.jpg

On Sunday, a bit calmer conditions and the results were significantly better. I did adjust the setup to -1.0* D

However on 1/3 of the strikes with how my course is setup I definitely played for the slice/ hard fade.

65a2a9f9175af5eb42d8a84ce260d4a0.jpg

I still enjoy the driver - I'm not having any issues gaming it - right now it is the Driver I will game for the year.

I think it can be better than my previous gamer and I think the battle with the EXS will come down to setups for both drivers and which one can I control better.

Total Driving stats from last two rounds - include Fairway woods as well as 5i

726e42449a34cbaf6dd4a6316b514e76.jpg

Driving Averages of two rounds

9646e7ce287b105749af5d8e4c4edaa1.jpg

Missed out on the weekend of golfing so I am a bit shallow on feedback from the last week, but hoping to get out and play tomorrow evening to get some more thoughts.

I really do need to sneak some lead tape onto the heel of this head. I think my delivery would be outstanding.

I was able to get out Saturday and play. I hit driver on 8 out of the 13 holes possible. I hit the fairway on 5 of those. On the 3 I missed, I missed one slightly right, one slightly left (found the lake) and the third was an absolutely useless swing. I have a ton of confidence in this driver. And as my swing is progressing, so is my confidence off the tee.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Missed out on the weekend of golfing so I am a bit shallow on feedback from the last week, but hoping to get out and play tomorrow evening to get some more thoughts.

I really do need to sneak some lead tape onto the heel of this head. I think my delivery would be outstanding.

Do you think this head is missing something by not having a heel weight or moveable adjustable weight?

@oitw what kind of distances are you seeing relative to your previous gamer(s)?

Tough for a real comparison as the only rounds played over 60* was the MC.

I'd say longer than my ladies Thriver but shorter than the G400 - but also this is Tour Length so it's an inch longer than Thriver and 1.5 inches shorter than the Ping.

Maxed out Thriver around 260 G400 Maxed out 280.

When I tested the f9 against my current gamer I was about 10 yds shorter than my Ping. Then again I gave a weird setup and need tons of loft and/ or a head that sits very open to fight me slamming the face shut.

I was taking fairway woods off the tee due to the course I was playing and my lack of accuracy with a driver in general. I have another lesson tomorrow specifically on the driver so I hope to change that!!

I currently game the Rogue with an Oban Isawa ... I like this shaft. Cobra offers the 55 Kiyoshi Purple which should play similar to the Isawa. The issue is finding one.

I’m really itching to give the F9 a go but I can’t find any local fitters who stock the 55...

Need some strategy help here folks... go second hand and take a flyer on a stock shaft or go all in and get the custom order at a big price tag.

Decisions decisions

I currently game the Rogue with an Oban Isawa ... I like this shaft. Cobra offers the 55 Kiyoshi Purple which should play similar to the Isawa. The issue is finding one.

I’m really itching to give the F9 a go but I can’t find any local fitters who stock the 55...

Need some strategy help here folks... go second hand and take a flyer on a stock shaft or go all in and get the custom order at a big price tag.

Decisions decisions

Honestly I'm not the most nuanced shaft tester but the Smoke or Atmos are pretty solid stock offerings and you might get lucky and have them work out, skipping the high price tag. Depends how much you know what you like. I went Atmos in Driver but Smoke in 3w, based on several sessions and some pretty small differences. Your swing speed/style? Are you in Isawa Red?

Yes... SS is under 100, more tempo than power but I’m also short at 44.5 inches. I’m just looking for some juice off tee, 250 isn’t cutting it on longer courses.

Yes... SS is under 100, more tempo than power but I’m also short at 44.5 inches. I’m just looking for some juice off tee, 250 isn’t cutting it on longer courses.

Hmmm... the 55g stock offering is the UST Helium and though it's not my style/have not hit it, I know UST makes some good shafts. Might be worth a gamble or at least hit in store. I saw a Purple Oban on EBay for $190 (nice looking shaft for sure!). EDIT: oops EBay listing was for 75g Purple.

I had a really solid session with my coach primarily focusing on driver. I found out that my alignment is off and I naturally align my feet at the target and my clubhead well right of target. After getting my alignment corrected and going over some swing fundamentals with driver I finally started to hit some really nice, straight drives. I hit a ball that carried 255 into a slight headwind which is big for me. I switched the weights so the heavier weight was forward and tried it out and it was definitely less forgiving. I hit a solid shot out of the middle of the face that was a more penetrating flight and the farthest ball of the day. The negative is that the sound is much worse with the weight forward. I do have some hotmelt in mine which may contribute to that. With the weight forward it sounded like a cheap kids aluminum bat. After hitting the long ball I switched the weights back and my instructor looked perplexed. I explained that with the weight back it encourages me to swing hard and hit it well as the sound is addicting. With the weight forward the sound made me cringe and was off-putting. Fortunately my spin is fine with the weight back and I can use every bit of forgiveness that I can get.

Do you think this head is missing something by not having a heel weight or moveable adjustable weight?

Missing something? Nah, it's where it needs to be. I just need something to help me close the face as I drive through the ball because my swing flaw is slightly open as I come through on an out to in path. It's a frustrating reality, and something that a rolled face does not support very well. Great for neutral drives through the zone off the toe, not great for the guy that thrives on that gear effect.

Hit a couple of absolute monsters tonight. Put the HZRDUS Yellow back into play, at least three notable bombs including hitting the green on a pencil thin 17th from the tee box (about 270 to carry the water).

One of my opponents uttered "wow" numerous times lol.. I guess he likes the way the F9 sounds.

Hit a couple of absolute monsters tonight. Put the HZRDUS Yellow back into play, at least three notable bombs including hitting the green on a pencil thin 17th from the tee box (about 270 to carry the water).

One of my opponents uttered "wow" numerous times lol.. I guess he likes the way the F9 sounds.

You guys have me researching high and low to make this happen!

The F9 and Accra TZ6 combo is alive and well. Still stunned at this whole 9 degree thing though.

He was simply enjoying the show that is @Canadan.

Anyone hit the F9 with a Tour AD TP-6? I have one on the way and may give it a try this weekend. Just looking for some feedback. As much of a shaft ho as I've been over the past couple years, I've never really tried any of the Graphite Design offerings.

I need to find an on course demo... I can't go off a trackman in a bay. 27 holes yesterday and hit 88% FW's with the Rogue but am topping at 250 max off the tee... incredibly frustrating. Perhaps its early season and the wet fairways are just giving no roll. I just don't see how I can add anymore SS without losing my swing, hoping some tech in the F9 will help.

I think I am due for another fitting as I've dropped 75 lbs... perhaps a shaft change is needed to compensate for whatever is going on.

I spent some time yesterday on a GCQuad hitting some drivers. My F9, Epic Flash, G410 and the Mizuno ST190, all with some sort of X flex shaft. The numbers don't lie for me. My 10.5* F9 heavy weight forward set at -1* was more accurate for me. Ball speed, launch etc were pretty comparable on all of them. But with the G410 and the Flash I was having a hard time getting the spin down. This is a new problem for me as my swing progresses. I used to have a problem getting enough spin on the ball. ST190 was definitely the lowest spinning head of the ones I tested and averaged in the mid 1900's. The F9, I was averaging 164 ball speed, 12* launch and low 2300rpm spin. Ball flight was straight to slight fade. One that I really turned on and hit slightly above center on the face carried 298 with 168 ball speed, 2048 spin and 13* launch. Man it's nice to see that type of ballspeed and launch again. I've been struggling with every club for almost 2 years, and have seen as low as high 140's ballspeed with a driver at one point. Granted that's not due to the driver change to an F9. But like I've said, I have tested a ton of drivers recently, and this one seems to check all the boxes for me.

My Driver Build:
10.5 F9 Avalanche head, heavy weight forward, -1 on the adapter
GD Tour AD BB 6X shaft, tipped 1/2"
GP Tour Velvet Midsize
Just under D3 SW (like D2.8ish) at 44 3/4" length

I spent some time yesterday on a GCQuad hitting some drivers. My F9, Epic Flash, G410 and the Mizuno ST190, all with some sort of X flex shaft. The numbers don't lie for me. My 10.5* F9 heavy weight forward set at -1* was more accurate for me. Ball speed, launch etc were pretty comparable on all of them. But with the G410 and the Flash I was having a hard time getting the spin down. This is a new problem for me as my swing progresses. I used to have a problem getting enough spin on the ball. ST190 was definitely the lowest spinning head of the ones I tested and averaged in the mid 1900's. The F9, I was averaging 164 ball speed, 12* launch and low 2300rpm spin. Ball flight was straight to slight fade. One that I really turned on and hit slightly above center on the face carried 298 with 168 ball speed, 2048 spin and 13* launch. Man it's nice to see that type of ballspeed and launch again. I've been struggling with every club for almost 2 years, and have seen as low as high 140's ballspeed with a driver at one point. Granted that's not due to the driver change to an F9. But like I've said, I have tested a ton of drivers recently, and this one seems to check all the boxes for me.

My Driver Build:
10.5 F9 Avalanche head, heavy weight forward, -1 on the adapter
GD Tour AD BB 6X shaft, tipped 1/2"
GP Tour Velvet Midsize
Just under D3 SW (like D2.8ish) at 44 3/4" length

I need to find a good fitter... I feel that with Club Champion I am getting a surface fitting, perhaps the best combination of head and shaft but I never really see / hear of people getting the shaft fitting down to the point where they discussing differing tipping strategies etc. Perhaps thats the reality of fittings for dudes off the street

Back