Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Got the SZE on the course for 18 today. The front 9 I used the Atmos Blue 6R lofted up +1*. Fought a strong fade most holes and it felt rather boardy. Although I did hit my best drive with it outdriving my 3 longer hitting partners. The back 9 I switched to the Tensei Blue 65 R lofted down 1* and hit it straighter including a stretch of demanding holes with water on the left. I will switch again next round but the Tensei is leading right now. It was rather busy so I didn't take my old XR16 with HZRDUS Yellow 5.5 to compare but I feel that I was longer with the Cobra once I got it going straight.

Love the milled infinity face :love:
Just can't put it down.

FB2098CB-1EF3-481A-AF80-5C3F4F485900.jpeg

The SpeedZone 9* with the 14/6 tour length weights continues to be a monster for me. If your miss is low and inside, or just low in general, I think that the SpeedZone/SpeedZone Extreme is the driver for you. I have hit some balls so low on the face that I think its an instant fail, only to see the ball carry low and get decent roll. I think that part of this comes from the completely milled face. My F9 was forgiving, but I don't think it was quite as forgiving as this SZ on low strikes.

SZ.jpg

The SpeedZone 9* with the 14/6 tour length weights continues to be a monster for me. If your miss is low and inside, or just low in general, I think that the SpeedZone/SpeedZone Extreme is the driver for you. I have hit some balls so low on the face that I think its an instant fail, only to see the ball carry low and get decent roll. I think that part of this comes from the completely milled face. My F9 was forgiving, but I don't think it was quite as forgiving as this SZ on low strikes.

View attachment 8932557

Is that photo taken at Crandon? It looks awfully familiar.

Is that photo taken at Crandon? It looks awfully familiar.
It was, during my round with @Canes and @X.Man. Thank goodness for the SpeedZone and my LIN-Q shaft because those boys can mash off the tee. I wouldn’t have had a chance without that extra pop from my setup.

Last edited:
Another round in with my Speedzone Xtreme.

Changes I made, switched from Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70 6.5 to a tensei pro orange 60tx I had in the garage. Still kept it in the -1*D setting. I'm trying to flatten out the flight from last year with the F9. Which this has done with a bunch of forgiveness.

Drives were long. I felt like I should of moved back a tee box long. I had a wedge in hand on all the par 4s. On the par 5s I was in reachable positions. Most importantly the ball flew basically dead straight on a powerful forward flight. I had some awful swings. I hooked one and because it was a dog leg left got past the turn and settled just into the left rough maybe a foot or two. I blocked one right and again just in the semi. Otherwise straight down the middle. It was awesome feeling.

Love the look stepping up for a drive. Hope the honeymoon never ends.

First full round with the Xtreme, and is all starting to come together, and the distance is gradually coming back. I think this is because I'm starting to tee it a little lower to account for the fact that I have this set at 12 degrees as opposed to 10 with my Epic Flash, so just controlling the launch a little bit. Was sending it out around 245 - 250 ish on the regular, so a few more rounds on this and I'm confident that all distance will be back.

Certainly feels solid and faaaaast off the face when you completely melt one,but it is the forgiveness that really shines. There were a few I caught a little off centre, and the distance loss was minimal, and in fact I was completely surprised how it still got the ball out there. Still need to put a good swing on it mind you, it's not magic and is more than capable of carving one into the right, but is certainly the straightest driver I've ever hit I think.

DUDES/DUDDETTES... So for MC I ordered the Xtreme 10.5 deg. in the black and white with the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow Stiff 6.0, and it arrived late last week and HOLY COW this club rocks!

So before I go on, my previous gamer was the Callaway Razr Hawk. It was a great driver for me and I got great distance out of it, but my misses could be absolutely vicious. My average drive was around 255yd but a moderate mishit could result in a drive as short as 220yd and a less than ideal swing could result in wicked or Slice/Hook of 50-70 yds.

Back to the Xtreme, I've played 27 holes with it and gotten some range time, and I'm pretty much infatuated :love:. Obviously there is no magic bullet in club technology, but the confidence I feel standing over this club is tremendous. First off the Head looks huge, honestly it worried me a bit, but after a few holes/range time you don't notice it much at all. Secondly the feel of this club and shaft is just solid. Maybe a more of a function of the shaft but the only way I can describe it is I feel totally connected from my hands to the club face.

As for actual performance I've noticed WAY less catastrophic tee shots. I haven't hit one of those 70yd slices across the adjacent fairway, yet.. and seemingly most shots wind up pretty darn close to my intended line. The exception being a new pull shot I've been hitting recently, which is a combination of my alignment and over aggressive hands. But miss hits tend to fade/draw back toward the fairway and toe/heal shots only lose seem to lose 10-20 yards. So that is pulling my average up, but more importantly I don't feel like I have to baby this club to keep it in play. I don't have enough data yet, but I feel like I be much more aggressive which i think will wind up in longer drives.

Overall its been an amazing club so far, and once I've got more Arccos data i'll share it. And here is the link to my fitting post. My results may be a bit more 'Xtreme' :)ROFLMAO: pun) than most as I had a ~10 year old driver still in the bag, but I definitely think everyone should go hit one of these soon!

DUDES/DUDDETTES... So for MC I ordered the Xtreme 10.5 deg. in the black and white with the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow Stiff 6.0, and it arrived late last week and HOLY COW this club rocks!

So before I go on, my previous gamer was the Callaway Razr Hawk. It was a great driver for me and I got great distance out of it, but my misses could be absolutely vicious. My average drive was around 255yd but a moderate mishit could result in a drive as short as 220yd and a less than ideal swing could result in wicked or Slice/Hook of 50-70 yds.

Back to the Xtreme, I've played 27 holes with it and gotten some range time, and I'm pretty much infatuated :love:. Obviously there is no magic bullet in club technology, but the confidence I feel standing over this club is tremendous. First off the Head looks huge, honestly it worried me a bit, but after a few holes/range time you don't notice it much at all. Secondly the feel of this club and shaft is just solid. Maybe a more of a function of the shaft but the only way I can describe it is I feel totally connected from my hands to the club face.

As for actual performance I've noticed WAY less catastrophic tee shots. I haven't hit one of those 70yd slices across the adjacent fairway, yet.. and seemingly most shots wind up pretty darn close to my intended line. The exception being a new pull shot I've been hitting recently, which is a combination of my alignment and over aggressive hands. But miss hits tend to fade/draw back toward the fairway and toe/heal shots only lose seem to lose 10-20 yards. So that is pulling my average up, but more importantly I don't feel like I have to baby this club to keep it in play. I don't have enough data yet, but I feel like I be much more aggressive which i think will wind up in longer drives.

Overall its been an amazing club so far, and once I've got more Arccos data i'll share it. And here is the link to my fitting post. My results may be a bit more 'Xtreme' :)ROFLMAO: pun) than most as I had a ~10 year old driver still in the bag, but I definitely think everyone should go hit one of these soon!
That is great feedback, it really is a phenomenal club. Agreed absolutely about not having to baby it to control the club, I'm gradually realising that I can really open my shoulders and hit it hard without losing any control. And that can only lead to longer drives, right...?

The good news is Fed Ex says my Extreme is out for delivery today The bad news is Dallas County just went to 'shelter in place'. I live in a different county in the metroplex, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hope I can at least squeeze a range session out of it before it does.

Thanks for the feedback. I can’t wait to have an Xtreme in my hands. But with nothing open as far as courses or ranges here, it’s not as if I would be using it. On top of that it’s currently snowing here today.

4 rounds with the extreme 9.0 black/white with the UST Mamiya Helium 4F2 55 gram shaft. This shaft/head combo works outstandingly with my old man (75) 85 mph swing speed. I'm averaging 225-230 yd drives in the cut stuff, very few fairway misses. You can't ask for anything more than this driver produces. Great impact sound and feel.

Oh hi there 5DBC3AD5-55CC-463E-815F-AE654A509069.jpeg
685852D3-AD67-4415-A264-DE753D945C60.jpeg

Looking good. New SZ 9 degrees tour length with Atmos Blue 6s
D1F3CCBA-A690-4533-BFDD-7AC88BC9FE4F.jpeg

Just arrived. 10.5* matte white Tour Length Extreme with a Tensei shaft. I wanted a 9*, but it was back ordered. I'll just turn the loft down. So far it looks like the shelter in place won't make it to my county yet, so I'll take it to the driving range over lunch tomorrow....

Has anyone tried the extreme against the g400 max?

Has anyone tried the extreme against the g400 max?

I will tomorrow. The G400 Max is my gamer. Far and away the best driver I ever owned. I'll be taking them both to the range over lunch....

I will tomorrow. The G400 Max is my gamer. Far and away the best driver I ever owned. I'll be taking them both to the range over lunch....
I always love comparison data. Looking forward to your thoughts!

I always love comparison data. Looking forward to your thoughts!

I got a chance to hit them both at the range over lunch. The conditions were perfect, 81* with a 10 mph right to left wind.

A bit about me. I play off a 13 GHIN. I've played a 10.5* G400 Max with the stock Alta shaft (stiff) for the past 2 years. It's far and away the best driver I've ever owned. Driving became a strength of my game. It's VERY forgiving. I have it turned down to the small minus. Based on the Trackman data from my last lesson, I swing right at 100 mph. My smash factor is 1.48 and it 2450 rpms of spin with a launch angle of 14*. My instructor even told me - just keep playing this driver, it works really well for you.

But in true golfer fashion, I got excited by all the buzz on the new Cobra Speedzone. The demo day at my home course got rained out and with coronavirus, I can't see it being rescheduled. So I 'self fit' into a 10.5* with a Tensei shaft. I actually wanted to get the 9* but it was out of stock. I also got the Tour Length version. My only knock on the PING was the length. I typically got drivers at 45 inches or shorter. 45.5 was too long..even though I hit it well.

I hit a few 9 irons to get my tempo down and then hit a few with the PING to get a baseline. The swing felt pretty good today. The PING was forgiving as ever. My ball flight is almost dead straight or a slight draw. My misses tend to be blocks that the PING keeps in play or snap hooks when I am having a bad day.

I had turned down the Cobra to 9.5* to match what I had with my PING. It set up beautifully and I loved the shorter shaft. The feel/sound is fantastic. More of solid sound feel at impact than the PING. I was hitting shots really low at first. I had to adjust my setup a bit and get a feel for it. I ended up going back to 10.5* to get the ball flight I had with the PING.

I wanted to love it, but I found myself hitting more dead pushes with it and an occasional push/slice. The good shots felt great and were landing about where the PING was with a bit lower trajectory. I need to play around with it a bit. The face seemed hot and it seemed forgiving, but not quite as much as the PING. The Tensei shaft feels VERY smooth.

It was a bit rushed as it was over lunch and I needed to get back online. I'm playing a round tomorrow and see how it plays in actual game conditions. The PING was love from the first swing. Honestly, I did not have that with the Cobra...but it's too early to make a determination.

I got a chance to hit them both at the range over lunch. The conditions were perfect, 81* with a 10 mph right to left wind.

A bit about me. I play off a 13 GHIN. I've played a 10.5* G400 Max with the stock Alta shaft (stiff) for the past 2 years. It's far and away the best driver I've ever owned. Driving became a strength of my game. It's VERY forgiving. I have it turned down to the small minus. Based on the Trackman data from my last lesson, I swing right at 100 mph. My smash factor is 1.48 and it 2450 rpms of spin with a launch angle of 14*. My instructor even told me - just keep playing this driver, it works really well for you.

But in true golfer fashion, I got excited by all the buzz on the new Cobra Speedzone. The demo day at my home course got rained out and with coronavirus, I can't see it being rescheduled. So I 'self fit' into a 10.5* with a Tensei shaft. I actually wanted to get the 9* but it was out of stock. I also got the Tour Length version. My only knock on the PING was the length. I typically got drivers at 45 inches or shorter. 45.5 was too long..even though I hit it well.

I hit a few 9 irons to get my tempo down and then hit a few with the PING to get a baseline. The swing felt pretty good today. The PING was forgiving as ever. My ball flight is almost dead straight or a slight draw. My misses tend to be blocks that the PING keeps in play or snap hooks when I am having a bad day.

I had turned down the Cobra to 9.5* to match what I had with my PING. It set up beautifully and I loved the shorter shaft. The feel/sound is fantastic. More of solid sound feel at impact than the PING. I was hitting shots really low at first. I had to adjust my setup a bit and get a feel for it. I ended up going back to 10.5* to get the ball flight I had with the PING.

I wanted to love it, but I found myself hitting more dead pushes with it and an occasional push/slice. The good shots felt great and were landing about where the PING was with a bit lower trajectory. I need to play around with it a bit. The face seemed hot and it seemed forgiving, but not quite as much as the PING. The Tensei shaft feels VERY smooth.

It was a bit rushed as it was over lunch and I needed to get back online. I'm playing a round tomorrow and see how it plays in actual game conditions. The PING was love from the first swing. Honestly, I did not have that with the Cobra...but it's too early to make a determination.
Both have such good reviews, I'll be curious if anything changes after being able to hit it a bit more tomorrow and over the next few days. Thanks for the details!

If you can borrow a ust helium shaft it would likely be a closer comparison to the alta.

If you can borrow a ust helium shaft it would likely be a closer comparison to the alta.

Yeah I may need to reshaft it. Hit it head to head again after work and it wasn't even close. Hit the PING longer, higher and more consistently. I hit a few good shots with the Cobra but still left of shots low, blocked to the right or huge push slices. Then I started changing my swing...which made things worse.

The thing I LOVED about the G400 Max is I loved it from the first swing. So much so, that I rarely hit more than 10-12 drives in a practice session. I trust it'll always do the job if I put any kind of decent swing on it.

I probably hit about 120 drives today over 2 separate sessions. The feel of the Cobra is intoxicating. I REALLY wanted to like it. The Tensei feels really good, but isn't the fit for me. That's one of the risks you get for self fitting, lol.

Our county issued a 'shelter in place' order effective tomorrow at midnight. Getting one last round in tomorrow morning. (our course has been fantastic about putting in social distancing practices from outdoor check-in, encouraging walking, pool floaties in the hole to keep the ball from falling in more than 1/2 in deep and removing all the rakes.) I'll definitely put the PING in the bag.

Back