Review Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Big Fairway Wood

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The modern fairway wood has had some changes and in this feature @Canadan takes a deep dive into the different styles that exist as well as the SPEEDZONE Big FW Wood. Find it on our home page here.

Nice write up @Canadan . Been intrigued about this since it was announced by Cobra. More options for golfers is always better, so it seems like you get that with the Cobra offerings this year. Cant wait to hear more once people get it out on the course.

I'm not sure if any FW has ever had me truly interested like this one has. (and I'm a compact FW guy)

I do wish it had a matte crown though.

Great write up @Canadan. Looking forward to messing around with this as soon as I can. As someone who rarely pulls FW off the deck this seems on the surface right up my alley.

I'm that guy that can't afford to give up any yards off the tee. Every time I would think about hitting big 3w...I would just hit driver. My 3w is key in the fairway as it gets hit fairly often that way. Yes, options are good. I'll stick with my Epic Flash 3w which has been gaming well.

Great article there. The Big Tour was/is something I have been very intrigued by since hearing about it. After reading this I'm not entirely sure its what I'm looking for in a fairway wood. I'll still hit it of course but being someone who doesn't hit fairway off the tee very often its probably not for me.

Great review and this club has me more excited than any other 2020 release I've seen so far. I've always played a strong 3 wood and use it off the tee more than most. I look forward to demoing this one and love the fact that Cobra has a lot of shafts available including several no charge options that I know work well for me. The weight forward clubhead design and 173cc should be a perfect fit. I'll have to get it on the range but I'm very likely to order one of these with the Rogue 110 70 shaft. I have to believe that the tech in this is more forgiving than my old X2 Hot it would replace.

Great review, Dan! I am very interested in giving this a try.

Thanks for the info @Canadan, looks like another great option in the long game department. I am thinking of upgrading my fairway wood this year, but I exclusively hit off the ground, even on a tee box. Would this be appropriate for that? It sounds like more of an off the tee kind of club..

Excellent review @Canadan

From the pics it looks like you can loft this fairway down to 12 degrees? Am I right in thinking you can get the driver in 12 degrees of loft as well?
If so, I would be curious to see how they compare when both are set at the same loft in terms of distance and forgiveness off the tee

Nice write-up Dan.

Not having rails is definitely a surprise, did not see that in the pics, thought they were smaller.

You mentioning that it still launches high has me really curious, I was tempted to write it off as it doesn't reach the loft I would want for this in the bag, but now I am considering it.

Excellent review @Canadan

From the pics it looks like you can loft this fairway down to 12 degrees? Am I right in thinking you can get the driver in 12 degrees of loft as well?
If so, I would be curious to see how they compare when both are set at the same loft in terms of distance and forgiveness off the tee
Yessir, you are correct.

That would definitely be an entertaining comparison.

Can you quantify high launch in the Big Tour - your definition of high launch is different than mine and probably a few others.

Nice review, Dan.

It will be interesting to see how many Morgan Cup bags have this club.

Yessir, you are correct.

That would definitely be an entertaining comparison.

If the results turned out to be similar, it could be a useful option as a second driver along the lines of what JB has done, but then you also have the option of hitting it from the fairway, although I am not too sure if I would hit something with that low a loft from the fairway

Nice review, Dan.

It's definitely a ponder again, not a high ponder but a ponder.

Throughly enjoyed the read Canadan. I almost think another company’s Super Hybrid can fit into that same conversation of the addition of options in the transition clubs between driver and irons. There’s also JB’s second driver option.

Between this and the proliferation of hollow body iron shapes, it seems like we have more
options than ever. It may move fitters to try and move outside the box in finding solutions for different spots in the bag.

Nice review, Dan.

Don't think it will be in mine. But haven't hit it yet

I have had one indoor session with the Big Tour. Obviously, hitting off of a matt is not the same as the turf, but I hope people don’t move past this thinking it is too difficult to use out of the fairway.

Throughly enjoyed the read Canadan. I almost think another company’s Super Hybrid can fit into that same conversation of the addition of options in the transition clubs between driver and irons. There’s also JB’s second driver option.

Between this and the proliferation of hollow body iron shapes, it seems like we have more
options than ever
. It may move fitters to try and move outside the box in finding solutions for different spots in the bag.
We do have a lot of options. I've been trying to figure out my clubs between my 4 iron and my Driver since last year. I like to use my 3W off the tee, and use it there more than I do from the fairway. But I still need an option from the fairway on long par 5's. Right now I play a TEE EX10 Beta 3W, which I have really enjoyed. Just wondering how some of these other options might fit in between that and the 4 iron, as I really don't have a club in that gap right now. I play 13 clubs as a result.

Great review Dan. Based on the naming convention alone, I was expecting the size of the head to be bordering on a mini driver head size. I, for one as someone that looks for use from both deck and tee, am glad to hear that it basically carries a vary similar size to a standard FW.

We do have a lot of options. I've been trying to figure out my clubs between my 4 iron and my Driver since last year. I like to use my 3W off the tee, and use it there more than I do from the fairway. But I still need an option from the fairway on long par 5's. Right now I play a TEE EX10 Beta 3W, which I have really enjoyed. Just wondering how some of these other options might fit in between that and the 4 iron, as I really don't have a club in that gap right now. I play 13 clubs as a result.

This one may not fit the bill, but there’s tons of options. Getting the right one is so personal. I can’t expect the one that works for me to fit you...but in my case that spot has been solidly held by Heavenwood for about 3 years while I’ve changed everything else in that time.

Back