@JB what sold you to commit to one lengths with these specific irons?

Well since you have Forged Tecs, you leaning something exotic - maybe these in OL for 2021 MC?
Honestly Dade, that is exactly what I'm thinking currently. I do like what @JB said in the podcast about his long irons being based around the 8i rather than the 7i. Am assuming this was just a custom job though and not openly available. If they are, then I may well be all in here...

Man that's a lot of tech packed in to a set at a very reasonable starting price.

I have talked to Mike Yagley for a long time about one length. I wanted to give them a try, but with a bit of a different spin. I called him about a month ago and he facetimed me back and was with their tour fitter and we had a conversation about my idea which was to play these to 8 iron and with my personal shafts. In our conversation they saw no downsides and figured I would give them a shot. After just a single round I was pretty sold.

I'm thinking that a set of std. length hybrids and irons could find their way into my bag this year. They'd have to push my F Max set out of the bag. It's possible but I wish they offered a couple more hybrids in 27° and 30° though. This old geezer loves his hybrids. If push comes to shove, I'll have to keep those two hybrids from my F Max set.

Honestly Dade, that is exactly what I'm thinking currently. I do like what @JB said in the podcast about his long irons being based around the 8i rather than the 7i. Am assuming this was just a custom job though and not openly available. If they are, then I may well be all in here...

I did mine myself, but fitting is available as well as custom for OL, so I would assume it could be done.

I have talked to Mike Yagley for a long time about one length. I wanted to give them a try, but with a bit of a different spin. I called him about a month ago and he facetimed me back and was with their tour fitter and we had a conversation about my idea which was to play these to 8 iron and with my personal shafts. In our conversation they saw no downsides and figured I would give them a shot. After just a single round I was pretty sold.

With going OL in 8i spec, did they suggest any loft or lie adjustments from a standard OL spec?

This time around I'm not just going to buy a stock set and the length will be one of the things I'm most interested in playing around with. I can hit 7-iron length well enough but if going a touch shorter gives me better contact it could be a winner. I'm very interested in finding a fitter when these are released.

I did mine myself, but fitting is available as well as custom for OL, so I would assume it could be done.

Many thanks, this has me wondering so much about VL up to 8 and then 7/6 at the shorter length. Ooft, now we’re talking a powerful bag!

This time around I'm not just going to buy a stock set and the length will be one of the things I'm most interested in playing around with. I can hit 7-iron length well enough but if going a touch shorter gives me better contact it could be a winner. I'm very interested in finding a fitter when these are released.
I am very excited about the possibility of that. If I could gap the 6 and 7 in, but with an 8 iron length then it could be a huge thing for me.

With going OL in 8i spec, did they suggest any loft or lie adjustments from a standard OL spec?

Its built the same, but swing weight might be altered. I built mine to what I prefer, but with their new port that @Jman discusses it is super easy to do.

Many thanks, this has me wondering so much about VL up to 8 and then 7/6 at the shorter length. Ooft, now we’re talking a powerful bag!

I talk about this in the OL podcast and genuinely would ask why? If the goal is to just make longer clubs easier, I honestly think its a mistake. The goal is one swing and honestly 8 iron to AW is not that crazy in length, so OL made so much sense.

I am very excited about the possibility of that. If I could gap the 6 and 7 in, but with an 8 iron length then it could be a huge thing for me.
I haven't played VL in a couple years but that's not a bad option either. I could almost see that happening except I like the colors better on the OL.

Fantastic write up, @Jman!
I am extremely intrigued with this iron. I played the F9 irons for most of 2019 and they were really good irons, but the improvements that have been made in only two releases and two years of time are quite impressive. I love the more rounded sole area. I can really see the benefit of the weight savings through the 3D printing. I would love to see this head in black.

Honestly, if I were playing in the Morgan Cup (and even with my move last year to a players cavity), I would seriously consider this iron. The more rounded shape really makes a difference to my eye.

Has Cobra Golf gotten your attention yet? Cobra RADSPEED Irons should.

You would be hard pressed to find a company that is pushing boundaries as hard as Cobra is, and not only that, but literally creating new ones with never before seen processes and design applications in golf.

Continue reading...
very nice review....has me excited to check out the OL when they come out....thanks

Great write-up @Jman. Cobra is really catching my attention from a design and innovation standpoint, building on the success of the F9 and Speedzone. The lines on this new iron aesthetically are the best yet IMO. The idea of a thinner sole makes them more appealing to me, as does the attractive execution of the RAD weighting screw in the toe. Very cool release.

@JDax has played 3 rounds with my set in the Tech Studio and said they feel and sound great.
When I asked him to choose a set of Cobra irons right now, he said "Probably Forged TEC OL, because Im vain".

I appreciated his honesty and don't say that as a knock or a joke. I actually think these feel better, but everybody is different.

Depends who you ask as that part is super subjective. They feel different though, not from irons everywhere, but from the Forged TEC iron, it has a little bit of a different more dense sound to me.
The RAD OL Irons are so good, I’ve hit them really well, I would like to say that there is a set of Forged Tec in the Tech Studio too, and I’ve hit those really well... I think it speaks to Cobra’s entire strength as a line.

One Length isn’t set specific ... It’s a mind set, a golf life style if you will...

DC0F0B2E-1419-4CC4-8F34-C5D20521E4CA.gif

I talk about this in the OL podcast and genuinely would ask why? If the goal is to just make longer clubs easier, I honestly think its a mistake. The goal is one swing and honestly 8 iron to AW is not that crazy in length, so OL made so much sense.
I had almost dismissed them previously, and not too sure why. I’m really looking forward to giving them a whirl, in fact excited to give the whole line a hit.

Have you ever seen me hit 200 yard 5 irons like it was nothing?

When you come back the Nashville, we are going to the Tech Studio & you will...

There is a OL 60° wedge in the studio that is 7 iron length, that takes a lot of getting used to, but the PW the 8 iron length isn’t an issue.

I’m very excited to get time with the 7i that is coming.

If it goes well, I have an absolutely insane idea.

Having played the OL set for a while now, I can say that they absolutely nailed it. The sound, feel and look are absolutely what I was hoping to see and Cobra delivered.

Where it really delivered however was getting the ball flight right. I am seeing 10-12 yard gaps from 5 iron through AW and launch angle and peak height is what I traditionally see out of variable length.
Of all the clubs I have been though since joining THP, I miss my F9 OL set the most. I need to hit this OL set when I can. I am glad to hear that the Recoils have been great for you in this set, as that is what I would be installing.

Having played the OL set for a while now, I can say that they absolutely nailed it. The sound, feel and look are absolutely what I was hoping to see and Cobra delivered.

Where it really delivered however was getting the ball flight right. I am seeing 10-12 yard gaps from 5 iron through AW and launch angle and peak height is what I traditionally see out of variable length.
I LOVE reading this.

Back