Colder weather golf…

Yours is slightly different than mine. I have the items will try that!

Beanie hats don’t work well for me since I wear hearing aids. It creates feedback and squeal that others can hear. A big distraction. Can’t cover my ears.
I've got two beanies that don't really fit over my ears. Not sure if that would work for you but may be worth a try. Another option would be a heavy duty wool baseball style cap if that may work better with the hearing aids

And one bonus from covid, masks make a much better scarf for golfing than a scarf proper. One guy at the range last Feb. asked why I was still wearing my mask outside on the range, I told him because it was 25 degrees out and it kept my face warmer

It is a bit extreme for me as well hahaha

Usually if I see a leading 4 I am 'okay' but not thrilled.

I still remember playing with @ArmyGolf on New Year's Day in temps around freezing with overnight temps below. The greens were frozen so you had to roll the ball up - if you hit it in the air, it would kick off the green like it hit a cart path!

LL Bean Heavyweight base layers are amazing. If you can't get by with that and a quarter zip it's too cold to play. The thing is like a wetsuit.

505427_1_41.jpeg

Electric handwarmer and quarterback pouch.
45029089-428F-4937-8C3B-0E529BCFA8E7.jpegCA962439-D938-4483-A8BE-39D27143614B.jpeg

I still remember playing with @ArmyGolf on New Year's Day in temps around freezing with overnight temps below. The greens were frozen so you had to roll the ball up - if you hit it in the air, it would kick off the green like it hit a cart path!
We've played here a couple times where the ground was solid, and man did the ball ever bounce off the tee hahaha - I managed to hit my first green, which is around 400 yards... Because it hit like it had landed on concrete and took off for over 100 yards!! Kind of hilarious.

I had a buddy fall through the ice in a shallow creek. Memories forever. I love cold weather golf!

Base layer and waaaarm socks are essential. After that you can wear whatever you want and play all the way down below freezing.

I've never had to use hot hands or anything, but I work outdoors so I may have built up some natural tolerance.

Some good responses in here. @Jaw2000 I don't play much past 40˚ these days but everything for me starts with a base layer. I'm an Under Armour Cold Gear guy. Past that it's down to personal preference, which for me usually includes a beanie and the NFL style hand warmer if I'm playing in some really cold weather. Also been looking at some vests this year but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If you're gonna play all offseason in the NoVa area I also recommend some good quality waterproof shoes. Ground around here usually gets wet in November/December and doesn't dry out until spring.

Such good times my friend. When the choices are "golf" or "no golf " the PNW boys suit up and head out.

I think one of the coldest I've ever done was with @checkered and Spence at Nobell. Below zero and gale force winds. Have a video somewhere.

ANything below 45 is a no go for me. Especially if there is any wind. Courses aren't in great shape and its not fun being cold. I don't understand cold golf haha

Base layer and waaaarm socks are essential. After that you can wear whatever you want and play all the way down below freezing.

I've never had to use hot hands or anything, but I work outdoors so I may have built up some natural tolerance.

I forgot to mention socks. Yes so much to that. I actually like wearing over the calf length merino blend hiking or ski socks when it gets real chilly. I figure the goals are the same with golf socks as with ski or hike socks, no need to buy special ones!

Played a couple rounds in 30-35F temperatures and base layers and wind stopping is the key. Some good 150-250gr merino wool and you're laughing. Love my First Lite hunting stuff for that.

Anything below 40°F (5°C) is a bit too cold to play for me. Especially if it's a bit windy.

Base layer, plus t-shirt/polo, then a 1/4 zip is all you should need. Get a decent brolly and holder for the push trolley and you can get away without waterproofs. Though not if you use buggys all the time.

I had a buddy fall through the ice in a shallow creek. Memories forever. I love cold weather golf!
My dad and uncle used to play a muni in dc. This was before WWII, where dad won an all expenses paid trip to China and Lou really won bird colonel stateside as a dentist!!

anyway they had no car and always walked to the course. One day they played in well below freezing temps. An the way home thet decided to cut across the reflection pond suffice it to say Lou got ask the way across dad had 1 step left before he lost. Fortunately then it was only 3 or so feet deep. Note along the edges it’s even shallower.

I’ve played in well before freezing too too a few par 5 dog legs over water and shortened them a lot, but that was in my 20s 30s even played in the snow once, e would squeegee the green for putting. Again though, nowI’m old and hate the cold!

i have heat great mock neck
A variety of other long sleeve shirts
A variety of 1/4 zips both wool and cotton
2 unrl hoodies (in today’s mail!!)
And Peter Miller jacket

hunting socks
And wool baseball caps
Also do have a couples beanies that may work
hand warmers too

need long underwear and neck warmer and winter gloves.

maybe that a bit much, since i dunes plan to play below 50?

Thanks everyone for an the input! Keep them coming

Winter is some of the best time to play as long as the shortened distance you get from your clubs/swing doesn't hurt your ego too much.

I play whenever my home course is open. Typically, only snow or all-day, below freezing temps will close it. It's wonderful to have the place, basically all to myself when the temps get down low enough to scare the fairweather golfers off. Yes, it's cold, but manageable with the right dress and prep. IMO walking keeps you plenty warm on most days provided you use functional layers. Wear Titleist or FJ mittens between shots to keep hands warm. Handwarmer packs inside the mittens will do wonders. I buy them by the case. Much cheaper that way and usually last me through a full winter playing 3 or 4 days a week (though, not all days require handwarmers.)

I also ride, but use a full cart cover/enclosure (and propane heater when extremely cold) to keep the wind out. The warmest and most functional layering for me (without much bulkiness), includes men's Nike or Adidas tights (rather than thicker long johns) under cooler weather golf pants by Adidas or FJ, a Nike or UA mock tee, an insulated (yet lightweight), fitted, 1/4 zip FJ mid-layer pullover with FJ vest. If it's a little windy, I will also use a FJ windshirt on top of everything. If it's a lot windy and 33*, I stay home and read golf forums all day.

Winter is some of the best time to play as long as the shortened distance you get from your clubs/swing doesn't hurt your ego too much.

I play whenever my home course is open. Typically, only snow or all-day, below freezing temps will close it. It's wonderful to have the place, basically all to myself when the temps get down low enough to scare the fairweather golfers off. Yes, it's cold, but manageable with the right dress and prep. IMO walking keeps you plenty warm on most days provided you use functional layers. Wear Titleist or FJ mittens between shots to keep hands warm. Handwarmer packs inside the mittens will do wonders. I buy them by the case. Much cheaper that way and usually last me through a full winter playing 3 or 4 days a week (though, not all days require handwarmers.)

I also ride, but use a full cart cover/enclosure (and propane heater when extremely cold) to keep the wind out. The warmest and most functional layering for me (without much bulkiness), includes men's Nike or Adidas tights (rather than thicker long johns) under cooler weather golf pants by Adidas or FJ, a Nike or UA mock tee, an insulated (yet lightweight), fitted, 1/4 zip FJ mid-layer pullover with FJ vest. If it's a little windy, I will also use a FJ windshirt on top of everything. If it's a lot windy and 33*, I stay home and read golf forums all day.
Tights, great point! I have a few from my fall/winter workouts! Money saved! Must not look at pops thread!

Cart is also a big consideration I forgot about, like you said. I really don't like riding when it's below 40, it's just too hard to keep the blood flowing. Walking keeps me substantially warmer in those temps. Plus a lot of the time in winter there are more restrictions on where you can drive the cart, so it isn't really a big benefit to ride IMO.

Cart is also a big consideration I forgot about, like you said. I really don't like riding when it's below 40, it's just too hard to keep the blood flowing. Walking keeps me substantially warmer in those temps. Plus a lot of the time in winter there are more restrictions on where you can drive the cart, so it isn't really a big benefit to ride IMO.
I'm a walker - almost period (that is here in my home course(s) area. So, yea, walking helps unless it's windy!

I use my Kentwool socks almost exclusively for Golf in the Fall and Spring - Just enough warmth without sweating.

How cold do you play in? I figure if i need more than three layers I’d take off that week/day.

if i can play in about 50ish degrees, I’m good!
50's is generally still shorts weather if the sun is out and not to windy. Light golf slacks are perfect for that temperature.

I play through the winter. Adidas fall weight slacks are maybe my favorite piece of warmer gear. Not too hot, but they definitely offer a bit of warmth over thin pants. They look sharp, too. I hate feeling restricted, and have discovered the fleece vest for golfing. With a good base layer like my favorite Mizuno Thermolite mocks, the fleece vest keeps my upper body plenty warm down into the 40's Full disclosure though, I have a bit of built in insulation, so some folks may want more than that. Like mentioned earlier, walking your rounds in cold weather definitely helps keep your body warmer. If it's going to be wet, I start off with my Gore-Tex trousers on as my main pants. They're quite breathable, but still manage to hold some heat in pretty well. I'll peel off the vest for my rain top if needed.

I wear a down jacket/sweater that gives me full range of motion and keeps me warm. The winter gloves never did anything for me, so I use hand warmers, which work much better.

Winter is my favorite time to play, I’ll play any conditions as long as the course is open. There are plenty of options on what to wear, I find the most important ingredient is attitude.

Back