Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example:
"Unless they change radically, a lot of these places are likely to go under in coming years," Carlson said on his show Thursday. "There's not enough federal bailout money in the treasury to save every pointless university in a bad recession. They will be gone for good- closed, repurposed, we can hope, into much needed efficiency apartments with loads of appealing green space."

"Countless deans of diversity and inclusion will be out of work," Carlson added.

As Campus Reform has also reported, colleges spend millions of dollars per year on salaries for diversity staff, many of whom make more than $100,000 per year, even as they repeatedly raise the price of tuition year after year for low and middle-income students."
Campus Reform? Talk about pushing an agenda...

Colleges do not push an agenda they educate based on facts, science etc. Some subjects may be more nuanced but you are learning from the experts in the field. Students are also encouraged to challenge existing beliefs and theories to continue to push these fields forward. No one is being indoctrinated they are being taught to think critically and explore and discover in their given field. I assume your post is political. I was a biology major but i can tell you in my political science courses debate was encouraged and professors and ta’s only served as moderators to guide discussion and never forced an agenda. We had some great debates and I learned a ton from other students with different beliefs than mine.

If you disagree with people who dedicate their lives to studying these subjects perhaps it’s time to reconsider or challenge you’re beliefs rather than just calling them frauds. Sitting in on some college courses and engaging with students may open your mind.

I don't think anyone is questioning the educators in higher institutions. The institutions themselves are (many times) for-profit businesses, and they're pushing the idea that everyone should be going to college, and a lot of people don't actually need a bachelors degree to make a decent living wage.

Progressive America trusts academia and Conservative America doesn't.

If you look at the electoral maps, the college towns are bright blue dots, even in blood red states.

Not making a political argument, here, but just observing the facts as they seem to exist today.

I'm really excited for all of the senior citizens who are out shopping today. Keeping the local economy alive. They're giving out high-fives and kissing the cheeks of every person they meet. So awesome to see. I mean, they can see the end of the tunnel anyways. It's nice that they want to keep the local boutiques open for their grandchildren.

Cost of education is a huge hurdle that needs to be tackled and it can definitely be solved. That said the value of a degree is immense and there is a huge benefit to a diverse curriculum. Some degrees may not yield huge salaries but they are all important.

I would also agree, as indicated in my initial response, that’s non-college jobs are extremely important and respectable and a better choice for many. I think college is a huge benefit to everyone but given the costs I would never criticize someone for choosing a different path. My comment is in defense of the value of higher education and not an attack on alternative paths.

Colleges do not push an agenda they educate based on facts, science etc. Some subjects may be more nuanced but you are learning from the experts in the field. Students are also encouraged to challenge existing beliefs and theories to continue to push these fields forward. No one is being indoctrinated they are being taught to think critically and explore and discover in their given field. I assume your post is political. I was a biology major but i can tell you in my political science courses debate was encouraged and professors and ta’s only served as moderators to guide discussion and never forced an agenda. We had some great debates and I learned a ton from other students with different beliefs than mine.

If you disagree with people who dedicate their lives to studying these subjects perhaps it’s time to reconsider or challenge you’re beliefs rather than just calling them frauds. Sitting in on some college courses and engaging with students may open your mind.

While I won't head down the political path, I think it is foolish to believe that all professors and educators can remain unbiased in the teachings of economy, politics and anything else. Every person with an opinion on any subject gets accused of it, to think somehow that educators are exempt is crazy talk.

I can tell you at multiple stops in my educational career, opinions were used to persuade. Students should be free thinking and debate, but to say it doesn't exist is odd.

Then add the idea that these are for profit and what comes with that. The big bad companies get crucified constantly, and these are exempt somehow.

Last edited:

I have a B.A. I'm well aware of the garbage that goes on insde these places.

And I'm not referring to math and science.

I don't think anyone is questioning the educators in higher institutions. The institutions themselves are (many times) for-profit businesses, and they're pushing the idea that everyone should be going to college, and a lot of people don't actually need a bachelors degree to make a decent living wage.

This is exactly correct. (y)

Progressive America trusts academia and Conservative America doesn't.

If you look at the electoral maps, the college towns are bright blue dots, even in blood red states.

Not making a political argument, here, but just observing the facts as they seem to exist today.

Anecdotally I don't find that to be the case. I'd say the split falls more along the lines of College educated vs not. I have no data to back that up. You do find colleges to be more progressive than conservative, but I think that's more a mix of people coming and blending together, in combination with liberal educators. Again, I have no data to back that up.

While I won't head down the political path, I think it is foolish to believe that all professors and educators can remain unbiased in the teachings of economy, politics and anything else. Every person with an opinion on any subject gets accused of it, to think somehow that educators are exempt is crazy talk.

I can tell you at multiple stops in my educational career, opinions were used to persuade. Students should be free thinking and debate, but to say it doesn't exist is odd.
I’m sure it does but overwhelmingly these institutions encourage free thinking and debate. In nucanced fields professors probably have more bias than in the sciences. In my short experience in those subjects I never saw opposing opinions shut down. Professors use facts and data to steer the conversations but I never saw them shut down debate.

Not sure how much it varies by state, but in my state, they were THROWING Pell Grants (MONEY) at people to go to college and get meaningless degrees. I'm living proof of that. "You're going to THROW money at me to go to school, hang with chicks, and all that?...I'm there!".

Regarding for profit colleges. Yes most are a scam with criminal business practices.

Are China’s Coronavirus numbers even remotely believable? They have 1.3B people. There is no cure for the virus. Their reported numbers continue to stay low.

I don't regret getting my degree or sending my kids to school to get theirs.

I do regret not making more of the opportunity, because I certainly could have.

I had the rest of my life to have a good time, but wasn't sufficiently mature to realize that.

Our son went to college after a stint in the army, and took it a lot more seriously than I did.
Our daughter went right after high school, but girls that age tend to be more mature than boys are.

Are China’s Coronavirus numbers even remotely believable? They have 1.3B people. There is no cure for the virus. Their reported numbers continue to stay low.

South Korea's numbers are similar, I believe, and we can pretty much trust SK.

I have a B.A. I'm well aware of the garbage that goes on insde these places.

And I'm not referring to math and science.

This is exactly correct. (y)
There were times I ran into opinions I disagreed with but nothing remotely resembling “garbage” in any course I took. Part of the value of college is learning to discuss opposing opinions and challenge your own thoughts. If you think these universities are full of “garbage” perhaps you should reconsider how you view those with opposing opinions.

They also have, we'll just call it, a strong state authority. They are good at locking people up. Forcing isolation as it were.

South Korea has a fantastic belief in science. Nobody in power or authority called it a hoax. They ramped up testing and monitoring the moment the first case appeared in their boarders. They never let the cat out of the bag, as it were.

There were times I ran into opinions I disagreed with but nothing remotely resembling “garbage” in any course I took. Part of the value of college is learning to discuss opposing opinions and challenge your own thoughts. If you think these universities are full of “garbage” perhaps you should reconsider how you view those with opposing opinions.

I had a Professor explain to a class that Jimmy Carter would go down as one of the better Presidents of the generation and that it was impossible to tell until 10-20 years post term. No matter what anybody brought to the table, they were mocked and told they were wrong.

Sometimes its viewed differently depending on if you agree with what is being thrown out. Nobody in their right mind currently that follows history would agree with that professors assessment. :ROFLMAO:

A couple of courses started to open up as the weather is finally turning. Then the provincial government announced yesterday that they're not essential and need to close back down or delay opening.

Not that big of a deal, some winters we don't have courses open until late April anyways. Just sort of got my hopes up that this year would be a little different.

I don't regret getting my degree or sending my kids to school to get theirs.

I do regret not making more of the opportunity, because I certainly could have.

I had the rest of my life to have a good time, but wasn't sufficiently mature to realize that.

Our son went to college after a stint in the army, and took it a lot more seriously than I did.
Our daughter went right after high school, but girls that age tend to be more mature than boys are.

I took some MBA courses at night that used the case study format. It was fascinating. Within thirty seconds of someone starting to talk, for most people you could tell:

who worked for GE
who worked in small business
who worked for the State
who had a technical background
who had never worked

Experience can be self-reinforcing.

Edited to remove, as I was typing while GG posted.

Waffle House has temporarily closed 365 locations across the country.

Hey @MWard what about bringing a clean dish towel or something and using that to open/close doors?

I keep a few towels in my car for stuff like spills and accidents, didn't think about it for opening doors. Good call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back