Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched an interview on CNN with an ER doctor in LA treating covid 19 patients that has brought tears to my eyes. Due to the shortage of equipment they have been having to use N95 masks for a whole shift, when they are supposed to be one per treatment. If they get moisture on them (like from the inside of your face ) they can lose their seal, plus meantime there is virus on the outside from treating the current patient and the mask will get soiled. She is rightfully frightened. She has doctor friends in NY who are terrified as they have to use the same masks day after day and are storing them between in bags. She likened it to putting a firefighter in a bathing suit into a burning building to save a baby. And asks what happens if the doctors get sick and can't treat patients.

And here I am, sitting on my very safe couch in my hopefully equally safe condo trying to weather the storm, posting on a golf forum trying to get some folks to see that golf courses should not be open and if they are open where you are, you should resist playing for now. Again, even if you think you are being and playing safe, there are idiots out there as some specific examples by me and others in this thread have been shared. Idiots whose reckless actions can get passed on and endanger our families, our communities, our first responders.

As our Premier (like a Governor) said today, "this is a pandemic, not a drill. "

Not sure if I can stay completely off this thread, but for now I'm done and out.

I literally don’t understand this. There is no cure for the virus. If people are out and about they should see a second spike, shouldn’t they? (Minus some effect for herd immunity).
More than likely they will. Hong Kong did.

When I was at the grocery store on Monday it was great, everyone was wearing gloves (patrons and employees), everyone was keeping their distance, and all carts were being wiped down. I was really impressed with what I was seeing. The resort thing started this week when an influx of people from NY flew into Florida (all across the state). And the neighbor thing is really surprising to me. I really hope they don't get sick, especially the husband who had the heart attack.

But this is Florida, so there are no rules haha.
Florida's state bird should be a White Claw at this point.

To the questions regarding China. They were able to completely shut down the virus early on and contain it. Once contained they were able to re-start everything and track small outbreaks and contain them as they pop up. The virus is still there but because they got control early they are able to track and contain the spread before larger outbreaks happen.

This strategy was communicated to the US very early and experts were advocating for this. Unfortunately we ignored that advice and went about business as usual. Had we listened we could have minimized spread and avoided the scenario we find ourselves in now. Now the outbreak is so widespread here that we have lost our window of opportunity to contain the spread and minimize the affect on health and the economy. That's why experts are calling for a long federal shut down to get contain the spread so we can minimize the damage and get back on track. Even after it is controlled we will need to implement a strategy where we are aggressively tracking new infections and their contacts and having rolling shutdowns anytime there is a potential regional outbreak. This will likely continue at least until we have a vaccine next year.

I think the frustration from many regarding dissenting opinions is that there has essentially been a scientific consensus throughout the last few months. There are of course outliers but most of the outlying positions have political or financial motives outside of the overall health and well being of the American population. This largely could have been avoided had we just listened to experts. This is taking an immense toll on all of us so it is frustrating to see so many people disagree with the scientific consensus on how to address the situation. I think we are all just hoping that we can come together and seriously follow the recommendations of experts so we can beat this thing with as little loss of life as possible.

On a lighter note. Does anyone have tv show recommendations for something either funny or at least non-violent? All of our shows right now are pretty violent and with all the stress right now we are looking for something lighter to take our minds off everything before bed.

Kind of quirky, and maybe a problem to join in progress but Carter on WGNA America is a dramedy that has some moments. It's a little like Psych but not as well done.

Not suitable for young kids, but Brockmire is filthy and funny.

If you have Spectrum the new Mad About Yous are very well done.

The mortality rate right now in the US is about 1.3%.
Is that % of closed cases? Not sure you can really look at total cases as the spread is spiking the way it is

On a lighter note. Does anyone have tv show recommendations for something either funny or at least non-violent? All of our shows right now are pretty violent and with all the stress right now we are looking for something lighter to take our minds off everything before bed.

parks & rec and the office are our go to shows for stuff like this :)

To the questions regarding China. They were able to completely shut down the virus early on and contain it. Once contained they were able to re-start everything and track small outbreaks and contain them as they pop up. The virus is still there but because they got control early they are able to track and contain the spread before larger outbreaks happen.

This strategy was communicated to the US very early and experts were advocating for this. Unfortunately we ignored that advice and went about business as usual. Had we listened we could have minimized spread and avoided the scenario we find ourselves in now. Now the outbreak is so widespread here that we have lost our window of opportunity to contain the spread and minimize the affect on health and the economy. That's why experts are calling for a long federal shut down to get contain the spread so we can minimize the damage and get back on track. Even after it is controlled we will need to implement a strategy where we are aggressively tracking new infections and their contacts and having rolling shutdowns anytime there is a potential regional outbreak. This will likely continue at least until we have a vaccine next year.

I think the frustration from many regarding dissenting opinions is that there has essentially been a scientific consensus throughout the last few months. There are of course outliers but most of the outlying positions have political or financial motives outside of the overall health and well being of the American population. This largely could have been avoided had we just listened to experts. This is taking an immense toll on all of us so it is frustrating to see so many people disagree with the scientific consensus on how to address the situation. I think we are all just hoping that we can come together and seriously follow the recommendations of experts so we can beat this thing with as little loss of life as possible.

I dont see too many dissenting opinions in here. There are some that don’t believe its a 6 month thing. With that said, and without getting political, the head of WHO praised the way this is being handled in the US, so not everything is “we did it poorly”.

Right now, we are in a situation where there are areas that are getting crushed by it and areas that are not, based on travel and population density (which would be fairly obvious). Good news is the economy the last 3 days has rebounded better than it has in nearly a century.

Is that % of closed cases? Not sure you can really look at total cases as the spread is spiking the way it is
I think it is deaths due to Covid19, not all closures. It seems probable the death rate is going to decrease as testing rates continue to increase.

Good news is the economy the last 3 days has rebounded better than it has in nearly a century.

Neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but I'm interested in your reasoning.

Neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but I'm interested in your reasoning.

Considering the report of joblessness that came out and both DOW and S&P were both way up, says a number of things, including many believe positive outlook of “consumer demand” based on stimulus. Which when you are faced with an economy collapse is exactly what you would want to see.

I gotta believe the market will go up even more when the House passes the bill.

Considering the report of joblessness that came out and both DOW and S&P were both way up, says a number of things, including many believe positive outlook of “consumer demand” based on stimulus. Which when you are faced with an economy collapse is exactly what you would want to see.

I agree with what you are saying - in the long run. I view the markets as a leading indicator - a good view of how the economy will look about six months out. I'm not sure we know what will get with the combination of two instant black swan events and the size of the stimulus, but I agree the fourth quarter probably looks pretty good.

No raking of bunkers... I hope
No rakes or ball washers on the course - according to the rules in the link.

Very highly recommend Letterkenny, if you have Hulu.

I think it is deaths due to Covid19, not all closures. It seems probable the death rate is going to decrease as testing rates continue to increase.
Thing is, there's a lot of cases recently diagnosed, and some of those patients will unfortunately not make it (eventually, not as quickly as they're being diagnosed). So as cases increase at this rate, total death rates will lag behind. I think that death % could rise as total case #s start to stabilize

No rakes or ball washers on the course - according to the rules in the link.

Very highly recommend Letterkenny, if you have Hulu.
Hulu is the one service I don't have but I may renew our subscription given how much tv we likely have ahead of us. Thanks for the rec I'll check our the trailor.

That is why I said "right now", which means at this moment.
Gotcha, my bad Sean. I focused too much on the % as if that meant much of anything

For those that enjoyed the Finley Q&A today, he is in there again answering every question.

Two of my favorites, unfortunately my gf will kill me if I put on another re-run of these lol.

Any chance she's into Forensics or Investigative Discovery type shows? Those are always fun and they're all over the major streaming channels.

One plus to come out of all this.....talking to one of the cops at work today, he said lots of local PD and CHP won’t pull people for speeding right now, unless they are totally taking the piss. Time to get the motorcycle out 😈

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back