Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew woke up in the middle of the night with 104 fever. My sister is hoping it's just another ear infection, but my brother-in-law is one of the helicopter pilots who took all the COVID-19 positive Naval officers off the Navy ship. So needless to say, she is really concerned right now. He has a doctors appointment in a few minutes via Telehealth.
Keeping fingers crossed for him (and you)

My youngest has decided that clothes are now optional since we're not actually going anywhere, while my oldest has decided that he doesn't need to change his clothes every day since we're not actually going anywhere.

My nephew woke up in the middle of the night with 104 fever. My sister is hoping it's just another ear infection, but my brother-in-law is one of the helicopter pilots who took all the COVID-19 positive Naval officers off the Navy ship. So needless to say, she is really concerned right now. He has a doctors appointment in a few minutes via Telehealth.

Keeping fingers crossed for him (and you)

They think it's just an ear infection again, thank goodness!

They think it's just an ear infection again, thank goodness!

oh thank god.
When I was waiting for test results, that was my biggest fear.

oh thank god.
When I was waiting for test results, that was my biggest fear.

I can't even imagine that kind of fear. And then the guilt you would put on yourself if somehow you got your child sick. My sister has been so worried about their whole family getting sick knowing my brother-in-law has been exposed, in small quarters in the helicopter, to actively sick people. They gave them masks and gloves, but not the proper protective gear they should really have been wearing, so she's been on super high alert. She was so upset that he had to be the pilot to fly, but I guess he is one of just a few qualified for that type of mission, or flight, or helicopter, something like that, I get so confused with all that military stuff.

I can't even imagine that kind of fear. And then the guilt you would put on yourself if somehow you got your child sick. My sister has been so worried about their whole family getting sick knowing my brother-in-law has been exposed, in small quarters in the helicopter, to actively sick people. They gave them masks and gloves, but not the proper protective gear they should really have been wearing, so she's been on super high alert. She was so upset that he had to be the pilot to fly, but I guess he is one of just a few qualified for that type of mission, or flight, or helicopter, something like that, I get so confused with all that military stuff.

damn. Yeah I would be on high alert. That kid looks at me funny and I'd be grabbing the thermometer ASAP. Glad to hear they think it's only an ear infection.

damn. Yeah I would be on high alert. That kid looks at me funny and I'd be grabbing the thermometer ASAP. Glad to hear they think it's only an ear infection.

He had tubes put in earlier this year but he is still getting a ton of ear infections, so hopefully they can figure out what the deal is with that. And thanks, I was holding my breath waiting to hear back from her and hoping and praying it was just an ear infection too. He will be on drops for 10 days.

Just found out my dad's good friend got taken to the hospital this morning. He tested positive earlier this week.

He had tubes put in earlier this year but he is still getting a ton of ear infections, so hopefully they can figure out what the deal is with that. And thanks, I was holding my breath waiting to hear back from her and hoping and praying it was just an ear infection too. He will be on drops for 10 days.

May be a long shot, but it could be allergies. When our kids were little and would get ear infections, my wife would start pumping them full of yogurt as they were coming off the amoxicillin, and they would be back at the pediatrician in a week with another ear infection. After about the fourth go-round, it was decided to eliminate dairy for a while to see whether the ear infections went away. They did.

My community is very over-represented by seniors.
We haven't lost anybody yet, but the odds are against us.
We see each other outdoors walking our dogs.
The dogs on leashes sniff noses to say hello while the humans say hello from a distance.

May be a long shot, but it could be allergies. When our kids were little and would get ear infections, my wife would start pumping them full of yogurt as they were coming off the amoxicillin, and they would be back at the pediatrician in a week with another ear infection. After about the fourth go-round, it was decided to eliminate dairy for a while to see whether the ear infections went away. They did.

I let her know. We know its not dairy because he was dairy free for the first year of his life and he still got ear infections like crazy, but maybe they can check for some other type of allergy. My sister had to have 3 sets of tubes when she was a baby, so seems like she just passed on that bad gene to her son. Weird how she had so many issues with her ears and ear infections and I have never had one, in almost 37 years, I have never had a single ear infection.

Had the same issues when I was a baby. Tubes in ears, adnoids removed. Tonsils out. It's alllllll too common. Augmentin, erythromycin (unless you're allergic like me haha) and amoxicillin will be his friend for quite a while.

That is adorable, I love that. Although, I wonder if they are allowed to issue cash. Maybe a check is safer?
Don't know about the cheque. The Easter Bunny only has a "Nest Egg" to get the money from. The Tooth Fairy has his cash stashed in some cavity. :)

In that vein, I took out some cash from the ATM (that all came out in 20's). Of course nowhere is doing anything but tap now, but I guess a good idea to have some cash should heaven forbid on-line goes down.

Last edited:
Canada has declared the Tooth Fairy and and the Easter Bunny as Essential Service Workers. Really. :)

They do have an element of stimulus in what they do.

There's posts in FB market where someone comes and plants Easter eggs all over the yard for the kids the next day, specifically citing all eggs are washed with purrell

Hey, still gotta have a side hustle in these times

Btw, for any others still working, does it seem like there's more people on the road In the mornings than in the first couple weeks?

The latest IHME model run has cut total projected deaths in the US further, down to just over 60,000 now. It was 81,000 and 93,000 in the two previous projections.

"Peak resource use" nationwide is now projected to be April 11th. For NY, it is today; later for other New England states. Louisiana was 4 days ago.

Canada has declared the Tooth Fairy and and the Easter Bunny as Essential Service Workers. Really. :)
Kids are more confused than any of us right now. Anything that can reassure them just a little bit is fine in my books. 👍

Btw, for any others still working, does it seem like there's more people on the road In the mornings than in the first couple weeks?

I've only been going into the office on Fridays but yes, there has been noticeably more traffic on my short commute each week since we started WFH all other days. It's only an 11 mile commute, split 50:45:5 between interstate, state highway, and city streets.

That is adorable, I love that. Although, I wonder if they are allowed to issue cash. Maybe a check is safer?
I just have the kids leave a Venmo QR code under their pillow.

Cases in my area, El Dorado County, CA, with a population ~ 200,000, have gone up from 22 last week to 28 this week, and no deaths (according to Dept of Health and Human Services). We are a rural county, and the majority of the cases are in South Lake Tahoe (big tourist area) and El Dorado Hills (western edge of county bordering Sacramento County).

I know Sweden is only 10 million people for a bigger area than many of our states, but I am hoping we can move to something similar in approach to the COVID-19 in May or at the very latest June and full open in July.

My wife's company is homebased in Sweden, so she has many friends over there. Here was her reply to how Sweden has handled the virus so far.

"I have no clue if it works or not yet in Sweden that we are not in quarantine, I guess we will know when all of this is over. So far quite a lot is like normal. My son is going to school, not my daughter. High-school and university are closed.

Both of my children have soccer and ice-hockey practice. I go to the office we are recommended to go to work not by the government but by SKF.

We should keep distance and use common sense when we are in food stores and out walking etc. Since 2 weeks back we are strongly recommended by the government not to travel inside Sweden to ski or go to a country house. Travel outside Sweden it is not even possible, all European countries border are closed but not Sweden’s 😊

The only restriction we have is that we can not be a group of more than 50 persons, therefore cinemas, theaters, soccer games, and other sports on higher levels are closed.

SKF people in Sweden are now only working 16 hours per week ( 4 hours per day Monday-Thursday, usually Fridays off) Lots of time now for walking, exercising ….. 😊"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back