Could You Take The Challenge?

With regards to golf equipment, I am a tinkerer... Part of what I enjoy about the game is trying new stuff. A lot of the time, that equipment doesn't make it a full season, not because it doesn't work well, but rather I see something else that interests me.

What could keep me in a single set? Full custom fitting would likely have a significant influence. Getting a full set from an OEM would have significant pull, too. I saw another post about maybe some extra incentives (whatever those might be). Maybe that would help keep the bag as-is, but if it reduces my enjoyment in the game, then it becomes an interesting value/cost decision.
I loved our tinkering conversation during your last trip, we joked about having clubs and they could possibly be gone next week, golf tinker is fun, especially during the season, in the off season, it's dangerous!!!

This really has nothing to do with OEMs. Honest to god it was just a general question. Here is another question for you. You went through the full fitting, I believe at the Annika academy. Did any of those clubs last a year? Or would they if you purchased them?

This really was not about an OEM, THP Events or anything else. Just genuinely curious.

Im definitely not picking on KC720 or anybody else. Just a conversation that came up from my playing partner and he said no way he would make it without incentive.
Those did not make it either. Another excuse? I got fit into flighted shafts using a 7 iron and I just cannot hit flighted long iron shafts, no clue why... with driver fittings I always get fit into a set up that spins more due to my swing often generating low 1000 spin, but on course I know that my misses don't translate well to higher spinning setups that keep the ball in the air. Through my first full fitting I learned from it. It's not to say that would make me stay in a setup for a full year, I'm not delusional lol. As Dan stated above most of us would fail at this and I agree. What I can only say is that I believe I could give it a run. Haha it sure would be tough immediately after a bad round lol

I might change my thoughts on this. I think the reason I haven't changed out my current equipment much is because I paid for it in one way or another. If it was completely free, it would be easier to toss it aside for the next thing.

I could make it if it were a challenge yes. But my love of new shiny toys is a strong one. Take away the word challenge and I don't think I'm making it.

This would be tough as I like to tinker but I have done it in the past and I am up for challenges so yes I can do it

Did this in 2015, did not switch a club.
No issue doing this again -

Easily I don't switch often just based on funds alone, majority of WITB right now will still probably be there in 2-3 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the pick of the litter I think it would be entirely possible, I like to tinker as much as the next guy but if I had something that I was fit into and knew worked I wouldn't change. The one aspect of the question that gets me is that it is given to you, I have a hard time switching something out because the gains aren't that great to justify the cost.

Yep, wouldn't be a problem for me. My bag has been pretty consistent for a fee he add now.

It is a very good question. I'd have to say honestly that I don't think I'd last the year without some change. I'm not saying the entire bag would change, especially if I'd been fitted for everything and had my choice going in. But, there are a lot of reasons why I might change out a club--lose confidence in one, find I hit another more consistently, a new entry perhaps from the same company that is a leap forward in technology. If going in I was asked to commit to playing the set for a year, I would definitely do it simply because I would not go back on my word.

I certainly could! If a company is gracious enough to give me a set of clubs, the very least I can do is play them and give honest and accurate feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could do it in a heart beat. I would only replace if worn out of broken.

the ONLY club that has even the slightest possibility of coming out of my current bag is the putter and thats because i feel like i rushed my fitting. I spent maybe 5 minutes in there picking out a putter, found a face insert i liked, rolled a total of 6 putts and made a quick decision. Its in my bag now and i will continue to practice with it every night to get comfortable with it, but i only blame myself for not taking the proper time allowed to me to find the perfect fit. Every single club in my bag means more to me than any dollar amount could offer and i know the other 13 clubs are fit perfectly to me, but honestly i wish i had made a better decision on the putter. And again, only myself to blame.

I could, yes. Though I did switch drivers (From Alpha 815 to XR), I knew at last years Grandaddy that I could hit the XR better, but it wasn't available at the time. Then, the only reason I have a new putter is for the same basic reason as the XR. We knew the Works was coming, but couldn't get them either. Soooo, main reason for the switch....if not for that, I would have kept them the same.

I think I could do it..

absolutely. I could stand a full year of Cally goodness

Yes. I could do that.

100% certain I could. I upgraded a 20 year old bag about 2 years ago. I made only one switch. But that was because I realized after Branson and the Official KC event that I'd be better much served with a slightly different bag makeup. Two hybrids and one high lofted wedge were just a better mix for this short knocker than was the two lofted wedge one hybo guess I made when upgrading the old bag. Everything is good now.

absolutely. I could stand a full year of Cally goodness
What if it wasnt Callaway? What if it was a newer or less popular company?

What if it wasnt Callaway? What if it was a newer or less popular company?

I think I could still do it. A full year with a set of clubs matched for me I could be good with.

Hundred percent yes. Especially because it was custom to me, so i would do the research and hit all the clubs to know which ones suit me best. Easy

If I was able to choose what went into the setup, yes 100% I could make it. The only part that might give me any grief would be the putter as I tend to switch putters to often. But if I knew I was able to choose everything for the setup and had to play it for a year, yea I could do it.

Yes. Is the next question my shipping address?

Maybe if I don't get on THP for the 365 days following recieving these new clubs, but I don't think it would be worth it.

I understand where people are coming from, but for me, I feel that having the same clubs for a long period of time breeds familiarity and comfort with them which would in theory then translate into a better game. I often read things where people say it is the indian and not the arrow that is the problem so throwing money at new clubs to fix something doesn't make sense to me. Surely working on your game and fixing the problem is a better option - obviously this is assuming your clubs are right for you

Back