Country Music - New to it…

And then of course our man Colt.

70899420-3122-423C-884B-51C119B7A610.jpeg6F21338D-4576-4AEE-8910-24C70392B25B.jpeg

would love to go to the opry!!

True..
Turnpike Troubadors
Mike and the Moonpies
Colter Wall
Tyler Childers
Cody Jinks
Wade Bowen

I can give you a list you would LOVE.

I enjoy it but I'm older and like older country. Give me some Hank and Willie and the boys.

“Waylon and Willie and the boys”

Ive listened to country music for my entire life (40+ years), so I'll help the best I can. If you like bluegrass or folk, you probably want to look at more traditional country music, which is less common these days. Staleton and Brown are some good ones though, as it Allison Kraus. Old Crow Medicine Show is another good one, as the the Steeldrivers.
It should be no surprise that you like traditional Irish music and American bluegrass and folk because it grew out of traditional British folk music.
Id say that I personally like pretty much all kinds of country music and find even the newer pop country to be pretty listenable but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for bluegrass, folk and Americana. Theres just nothing like the soul and harmony of bluegrass.

Alison Krauss is wonderful.

try syrup of ipecac. dramamine can help too. or pepto bismol. if you're looking for something all natural, i think ginger is supposed to work well.

we're talking about treatments for persistent nausea and vomiting, right?

RADIO. COUNTRY. ISNT. REAL. COUNTRY.

Turnpike Troubadors
Mike and the Moonpies
Colter Wall
Tyler Childers
Cody Jinks
Wade Bowen

I can give you a list you would LOVE.

I love love love me some colter wall and Cody jinks!!!

Then dive into the Turnpike Troubadours.

Trust me.

never heard of them but it sounds like I would dig it.

TRUST ME.

I do.

I like colt Ford and other more pop country artist but I dig the classic country western folk sounds as well.

I do.

I like colt Ford and other more pop country artist but I dig the classic country western folk sounds as well.
Start on the Diamonds and Gasoline album and just let it play :love:

I’m on a big Old Dominion kick right now. I’ve also always been a big Kip Moore fan. If you want some old school vibe but with a modern flair, try some Kacey Musgraves and some Brothers Osbourne.

I also can’t believe the lack of love for Darius Rucker of Hootie fame.

I bet @Jman can get behind a suggestion to listen to some Lonestar. And while you are there take a listen to some of the early Rascal Flatts stuff, before they became commercial Disney babble.

Mandatory homework is listening to Fishin’ in the Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

You know, Darius Rucker is quite good too. I wouldn't call him traditional so much but he did do a cover of, "Wagon Wheel" that you could argue is better than the original Old Crow version.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Tracy Byrd, Toby Keith, Keith Urban, Trace Adkins, George Strait, Kane Brown, and Dan & Shay are in my playlist.

I’m on a big Old Dominion kick right now. I’ve also always been a big Kip Moore fan. If you want some old school vibe but with a modern flair, try some Kacey Musgraves and some Brothers Osbourne.

I also can’t believe the lack of love for Darius Rucker of Hootie fame.

I bet @Jman can get behind a suggestion to listen to some Lonestar. And while you are there take a listen to some of the early Rascal Flatts stuff, before they became commercial Disney babble.

Mandatory homework is listening to Fishin’ in the Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
Hard no on RF and Lonestar. Hard no.

If you like bluegrass type country you owe it to yourself listen to Allison Krause and Union Station, Steep Canyon Rangers, Ricky Skaggs, Blue Highway and for one of the worlds top acoustic guitarist, Dan Tyminski who is also in Union Station. :)

Hard no on RF and Lonestar. Hard no.
I. Am. Shocked. How do you not like Loanstar? Do you hate weddings? I get why you might not like RF.

George Strait and Alan Jackson are two of my favorites. I enjoy radio country but listen to more of the older stuff. That said, nothing wrong with Stapleton, Johnson, Brown. Plenty of good ones listed in the thread.

Like has been said already, the "country music" played on the radio isn't country. It's garbage. Mass produced, highly targeted, garbage. Sure, it may have a nice beat but... it's trash.

As Jason Alden says in one of his songs "country is country-wide"

If you're looking for modern country, there's a split kind of... fightin' country and party country.

Country music has changed from its roots back in the day. It started out just country... then turned into Country & Western. Now... it's Southern Rock, Country, Country & Western, Texas Swing, Pop Country, and crap that's on the radio.:ROFLMAO:

Fightin' country - the artists sing a lot about "being tuff" and fightin'. A couple of examples would be Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Toby Keith and Brantley Gilbert.

Party country - the summer anthems are here and all they sing about is a good time. Brad Paisley, Florida Georgia Line, Alan Jackson, and Luke Bryant are examples.

Amazon has their music app and if you're a member of Amazon Prime you get that free. There are a lot of playlists for Country. Give a listen to their Top 50 songs... almost half are country.

Kelsea Ballerini, Jana Kramer, Taylor Swift before she went Pop, Miranda Lambert are good to start with for the female singers. You can go from there.

Groups - Lady Antebellum before they changed their name to Lady A, The Dixie Chicks before they changed their name, Little Big Town, Nickel Creek...

Check out Kyle Park. He's pretty good in my opinion but most people have never heard of him.

If you don't have Amazon prime, fire up Spotify, I heart radio, or some other streaming music app... and just pick country. Start making a list of who you like, and more especially, who you don't. That'll help to find what you do like.

If you have Apple Music, they’ve got some great curated country playlists. Plug it in and let it play! My favorites are Country Caffeine and The Sand Bar.

I have been listening to turnpike troubadours for about an hour now.. yep.. I am a fan.

Check out Kyle Park. He's pretty good in my opinion but most people have never heard of him.
I was coming to add guys like Kyle Park. I enjoy the guys you can find if you hunt enough on Youtube, so this thread is great!

Cody Johnson is another that comes to mind. As does Drew Parker, that fit in the traditional or modern traditional genre.

Luke Combs brings back a bit of the 90's country.

I grew up on Brooks and Dunn, George Straight, and Garth. Enjoy the older Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban music, and saw they both in concert a few times, and it was fantastic. I enjoy the country they play on the radio, especially during the summer. I think it's more pop than country, but I still enjoy it. But I love trying to find traditional country, or guys who are lesser well known. I also like artists that mix in a little rock too.

As you can see, I'm kind of all over the place, but I love country because the lyrics speak to me. Whether it's a bit too much pop, or rock, or if it fits with traditional country, I've found some of each that I enjoy.

I have been listening to turnpike troubadours for about an hour now.. yep.. I am a fan.
I told you dude. And every album is amazing and SHOULD have been radio smash hits.

Your next assignment? Mike and the Moonpies, Steak Night at the Prairie Rose album.

I told you dude. And every album is amazing and SHOULD have been radio smash hits.

Your next assignment? Mike and the Moonpies, Steak Night at the Prairie Rose album.
You a fan of Radio Romance? I was really into their early stuff.

Last edited:
I was coming to add guys like Kyle Park. I enjoy the guys you can find if you hunt enough on Youtube, so this thread is great!

Cody Johnson is another that comes to mind. As does Drew Parker, that fit in the traditional or modern traditional genre.

Luke Combs brings back a bit of the 90's country.

I grew up on Brooks and Dunn, George Straight, and Garth. Enjoy the older Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban music, and saw they both in concert a few times, and it was fantastic. I enjoy the country they play on the radio, especially during the summer. I think it's more pop than country, but I still enjoy it. But I love trying to find traditional country, or guys who are lesser well known. I also like artists that mix in a little rock too.

As you can see, I'm kind of all over the place, but I love country because the lyrics speak to me. Whether it's a bit too much pop, or rock, or if it fits with traditional country, I've found some of each that I enjoy.

I found Kyle Park just digging around in my Amazon music app for artists... you might know, where it lists "Other listeners also listened to..." and there he was. I like him. He's mellow and has a good sound.

But I burnt out on almost all music for a bit. That happens to me every couple of years. My 80 minute commute puts a hurting on a lot of playlists.:ROFLMAO: And podcasts. And music. I'm almost thinking of firing up my old iPod and listening to that for a month or two... kind of reset my system so to speak.

Back