Country Music - New to it…

I like that description - country pop. I can get on board with that. I’m so tired of mostly only hearing hip hop inspired stuff on mainstream stations. I’ve been wondering, where’s the Rock and Roll? Maybe I’ll give this country pop business a try.

I found Kyle Park just digging around in my Amazon music app for artists... you might know, where it lists "Other listeners also listened to..." and there he was. I like him. He's mellow and has a good sound.

But I burnt out on almost all music for a bit. That happens to me every couple of years. My 80 minute commute puts a hurting on a lot of playlists.:ROFLMAO: And podcasts. And music. I'm almost thinking of firing up my old iPod and listening to that for a month or two... kind of reset my system so to speak.
I agree about getting burnt out from time to time. Love going back and listening to some stuff from 10-15 years ago. Transports you back to that time, and those memories! You think you iPod would fire up? I've been wondering if mine would...

I hope so. It's a first gen 120GB and has bene in my car's center console for years. I just need to plug it in and let it do it's thing with the files and then charge it up on the ride home. I've got country on there they don't play on the radio anymore... (and I try not to listen to any kind of broadcast radio... there's no redeeming vaule in it at all.):ROFLMAO:

Robert Earl Keen needs to be mentioned in this thread....

Last edited:
Older Zac brown band, Chris Stapleton, Jason Aldean, Eric church, Kenny Chesney are good starting points.

I strongly dislike most of Luke Bryan and that guy who talk-sings, can't remember his name

Sam Hunt......hes a joke.

Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.

Youve gotta look into Eric Church. His older stuff is pretty damn traditional but his newer stuff bridges the gap really nicely between rock, country and blues. He is absolutely at the top of my list.

I was brought up on classic country, so that is where my current country taste lies.

Mostly Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Keith Whitley, David Allan Coe, Ronnie Milsap, Blackhawk, John Conlee, Shenandoah, etc.

For me anyways, 80's and 90's country is the best.

Satellite radio is so much better. I find my musical tastes have really expanded with satellite options. With all different types of sub categories to explore. Plenty of great artists already listed above. Outlaw country is the stuff I grew up on thanks to my dad. Apple Music and Spotify both have great stations to explore also.

I think there as many different sub genres of country as there are other types of music. I dont usually enjoy the overly poppy stuff (clap tracks) but some of it is fun. What I consider true country:

George Straight
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
Brother Phelps
Vince Gill
older Garth Brooks
Sawyer Brown
Brooks & Dunn
Pretty Much Anyone invited to join the Grand Ole Opry lol!
Zack Brown Band

Bluegrass:
Allison Krauss & Union Station
Steep Canyon Rangers
Bela Fleck
Chris Thile
older Nickel Creek

"poppy" country that I enjoy:
Brett Eldridge
John Michael Montgomery
Florida Georgia Line
Old Dominion
Luke Bryan
Tim Mcgraw

Female Singers:
Faith Hill (a little too mainstream but she had some good songs)
Martina McBride
REBA!!!
June Carter
Jo Dee Messina
Sara Evans

And thats just a smattering! There are so many more that I cant name off the top of my head!

Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.
Save yourself and do a U turn pronto, brother. :LOL:

Most country made after 2000 isn’t real country, it’s pop. The Taylor Swift, FGL sell out BS.

If you have SiriusXM...Red, White and Booze. 60s-00 county with a little 80s rock mixed in.

For @DNice26

We have some cool stuff coming up with Lee Brice and Jason Aldean.

Country bars are on a whole other level lol

I love the older stuff like the Carter Family. Big fan of 60's/70's country too.

I was brought up on classic country, so that is where my current country taste lies.

Mostly Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Keith Whitley, David Allan Coe, Ronnie Milsap, Blackhawk, John Conlee, Shenandoah, etc.
My brother from another mother! I love all the old country. I don’t hate all of the new country. But my music tastes are everywhere.

If you like classic country, listen to Mike and the Moonpies. Not to mention Billy Strings, leans bluegrass but the world is FINALLY catching on to his pure brilliance.

Whiskey Myers is really good. They are always popping up on my Pandora

Great thread -
Josh Turner
Jimmie Allen
Chris Young
Keith Urban
Scotty McCreery
Rodney Atkins
Jake Owen... and almost everything everyone else has posted :)

If you like classic country, listen to Mike and the Moonpies. Not to mention Billy Strings, leans bluegrass but the world is FINALLY catching on to his pure brilliance.

Oh jeez! Found out about Billy Strings 2-3 years ago! Astounding talent! What encourages me is that he does not stick in one genre. He doesn't just play bluegrass anymore, he has branched out into other varieties of music! He is a fascinating performer to watch!

Oh jeez! Found out about Billy Strings 2-3 years ago! Astounding talent! What encourages me is that he does not stick in one genre. He doesn't just play bluegrass anymore, he has branched out into other varieties of music! He is a fascinating performer to watch!
Yup, I’ve been listening just as long, he’s amazing. This new album, it’s amazing. It’s truly a work of art.

Chris LeDoux & his son Ned.
Charlie Daniels
Bellamy Brothers
Hank Williams Jr
Colt Ford
Gary Allen

Back