Country Music - New to it…

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.

No help, sorry bro!

I’m at that weird stage of my life where I’m equally happy with Metal or Piano Hymns? I’ll take one if I’m dying. I’ll take the other if I’m fighting. If I’m fighting and dying? I’ll go with my first choice? 😂

Country music really doesn’t exist anymore. I think they should rebrand it to southern pop..

Old school Zac Brown Band is some of the better modern country. Chris Stapleton is solid as well.
You will find a mix of classic and modern-pop from all artists these days, but you can find some gems with the two aforementioned artists (but skip a few of the ZBB albums, they're dumpster fires), Eric Church, Morgan Wallen, Jon Pardi, Luke Combs, Sturgill Simpson, Dierks Bentley (especially Hot Country Knights), the odd Brad Paisley.

Then there are the old school classics: George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Alabama, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, *some* Toby Keith, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc.

New school bro and boyfriend country needs to die off. Every time Dan & Shay comes on the radio I want to crash my truck and kill myself if I can't reach the radio button fast enough.

Colt Ford. Friend of THP and guest on Off Course podcast.

Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.
Ive listened to country music for my entire life (40+ years), so I'll help the best I can. If you like bluegrass or folk, you probably want to look at more traditional country music, which is less common these days. Staleton and Brown are some good ones though, as it Allison Kraus. Old Crow Medicine Show is another good one, as the the Steeldrivers.
It should be no surprise that you like traditional Irish music and American bluegrass and folk because it grew out of traditional British folk music.
Id say that I personally like pretty much all kinds of country music and find even the newer pop country to be pretty listenable but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for bluegrass, folk and Americana. Theres just nothing like the soul and harmony of bluegrass.

Colt Ford. Friend of THP and guest on Off Course podcast.
Colt Ford isnt traditional, my friend. Anyone who tries to mix rap and country is not traditional. Colt Ford isnt bad if you are feeling adventurous but, well, he's no Sam Hunt. 🤷‍♂️

Oh I'm sure we can find a country bar in Myrtle Beach.

🤠

Thomas Rhett is a good modern one. I listen to mostly books on tape so I won't be a ton of help but I suggest just turning on a FM station and hearing to see who you like.

Colt Ford isnt traditional, my friend. Anyone who tries to mix rap and country is not traditional. Colt Ford isnt bad if you are feeling adventurous but, well, he's no Sam Hunt. 🤷‍♂️
And if you listen to the podcast, he addresses this and talks about Charlie Daniels…who is obviously traditional in every sense of the word

Older Zac brown band, Chris Stapleton, Jason Aldean, Eric church, Kenny Chesney are good starting points.

I strongly dislike most of Luke Bryan and that guy who talk-sings, can't remember his name

My wife and kids love it. Some of it isn’t too bad. They listen to Dierks Bentley, Eric Church, Zac Brown, Chris Stapleton etc.

Older Zac brown band, Chris Stapleton, Jason Aldean, Eric church, Kenny Chesney are good starting points.

I strongly dislike most of Luke Bryan and that guy who talk-sings, can't remember his name
Sam Hunt…. ;)

I like the current country music. But enjoy the classic stuff of Reba, Garth, etc as well.

Ive listened to country music for my entire life (40+ years), so I'll help the best I can. If you like bluegrass or folk, you probably want to look at more traditional country music, which is less common these days. Staleton and Brown are some good ones though, as it Allison Kraus. Old Crow Medicine Show is another good one, as the the Steeldrivers.
It should be no surprise that you like traditional Irish music and American bluegrass and folk because it grew out of traditional British folk music.
Id say that I personally like pretty much all kinds of country music and find even the newer pop country to be pretty listenable but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for bluegrass, folk and Americana. Theres just nothing like the soul and harmony of bluegrass.
Old Crow Medicine Show is awesome!

Country music really doesn’t exist anymore. I think they should rebrand it to southern pop..
There is a lot of that, but in my town it’s alive and well. Opry goes every week.

Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Randy Travis, are some of the County music artists that I listen to.

I enjoy it but I'm older and like older country. Give me some Hank and Willie and the boys.

Old school Zac Brown Band is some of the better modern country. Chris Stapleton is solid as well.
You will find a mix of classic and modern-pop from all artists these days, but you can find some gems with the two aforementioned artists (but skip a few of the ZBB albums, they're dumpster fires), Eric Church, Morgan Wallen, Jon Pardi, Luke Combs, Sturgill Simpson, Dierks Bentley (especially Hot Country Knights), the odd Brad Paisley.

Then there are the old school classics: George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Alabama, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, *some* Toby Keith, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc.
Pretty great list right here - especially the old school classics! I like a few songs from Chris Cagle as well.

Don’t know where I land on new vs old, but I really enjoy all types of music, so if it strikes the right mood at the right time, it will work.

Back