Country Music - New to it…

Been enjoying songs from Riley Green lately.

New country
Jason Aldean
Luke Bryan
Luke Combs
Cole Swindell
Kenny Chesney
Florida Georgia Line
Kane Brown
Chris Lane

New country
Jason Aldean
Luke Bryan
Luke Combs
Cole Swindell
Kenny Chesney
Florida Georgia Line
Kane Brown
Chris Lane
All but two of those killed my soul a little bit.

I was in classes with Chad while in college. Wish he would breakout here in the states. Not sure why he hasn't.

Last edited:
For @DNice26

We have some cool stuff coming up with Lee Brice and Jason Aldean.
Love me some Jason Aldean!

My dad was a truck driver and a good ol' country boy, so I was brought up on old/classic country and "truck driving country" - Red Sovine, CW McCall, Del Reeves, Jerry Reed, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Tammy Wynette, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, etc. I can still listen to the classics, but I also like some of the modern artists that have mixed southern rock/rock in with the country - Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley (aka "Eddie Van Halen on cornbread"), Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan, etc. I liked Darius Rucker when he was with Hootie and the Blowfish, and like him equally as a country singer.

There's also what I guess I'd call the "in between generation", bridging between the true old-school classics and the modern pop/rock country - Alan Jackson, Dwight Yoakam (one of my all-time favorites), Vince Gill (another amazing guitarist), the Judds, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, George Strait, Dolly Parton, Clint Black, etc.

Last edited:
Big big fan of Justin Moore btw........

Big big fan of Justin Moore btw........

Came across this 90s gem the other day and it has re-entered my playlists. It exemplifies the simple, fun, two-stepping side of country music - but still with real instruments and no stupid 'boom - snap' that all new country has to have:

I was in classes with Chad while in college. Wish he would breakout here in the states. Not sure why he hasn't.

Yes, but sometime you have to labor away in obscurity for 15-20 years before you can be labeled an "overnight sensation"! Consider Bob Seger and Steve Miller in the rock world!

Been listening to, and really liking Cody Johnson. His new song is fantastic:

If you like bluegrass I'd suggest some Sturgill Simpson. Or go back to Dierks Bentley's Up on the Ridge album.

Speaking of Dierks - I get excited every time I hear some Hot Country Knights on youtube when they're doing a cover. Some of their original songs are decent, but their covers are spectacular:

I like Jason Aldean, Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs, and then the rest of the songs I like are spread out across various other artists. Not a huge Kane Brown fan. Dan and Shay has good music but I don’t consider them country.

If you watch Yellowstone, go listen to all the artists they use. True country.

And if you don’t watch Yellowstone, you’re doing it wrong.

The lines have really blurred between southern rock ala the 1970s and country today. I haven’t really taken the plunge because I’m still busy with bluegrass and blues

I'll mention a lesser known artist signed to John Prine's record label, Cincinnati's own Arlo McKinley. The man sure knows how to write a sad country song.

A few of my friends turned me onto a couple of artists that you would hear in Sons of Anarchy or maybe Yellowstone. (Not sure if either are actually in Yellowstone). I would not call it Classic Country, but just good stuff

Love this version of Luckenbach from Sean Rowe

white buffalo acoustic

Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.

George Straight
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Garth
Morgan Wallen
Chris Stapleton

Alan Jackson, George Strait, Toby Kieth....there are so many good ones. The new stuff is good for summertime and bbq but its kind of like pop🤷🏻‍♂️

Country with a little Texas flavor

The Mavericks
Asleep at the Wheel
and of course
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys

I mostly listen to 80's and 90's country, but I love it!

Decided to try some country music. Being a NY my entire life, no friends listen to country, but my heritage is Irish and I have roots and love of bluegrass type traditional Irish music.

So who listens to country? Recommendations to get a newbie started?

So far I’m digging Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown Band.

Check out the Ken Burns documentary on Country music. It was fantastic and he checks many of the great country artists throughout it.

You will not be disappointed.

There's a brand new band called:

Ole 60

They aren't your typical mainstream country music. They're gritty. A little dark. But, hollllllllly **** they are great.

A few songs:

Back