Customer Service... Which Companies Get It?

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been given the go ahead to create a true Pro-Shop at the club, so I started contacting companies one by one asking for their regional rep's contact info. It's really been an eye opener at this point as after 3 to 5 day's several companies rep's have not even bothered to call back, while several others jumped at the chance to sell me equipment. Seem's kind of lame that a company would not return a call, but then again we just finished a Holiday, so I resumed calls today and still having mixed results. Perhaps the economic conditions in the golf equipment industry is better than I expected.

Bridgestone was the first to call me back and I must say they have been a real joy to work with at this point. I can't really say much positive for Callaway as they kept me on hold so long I gave up several times now. Daphny's called me back within a couple days and came through with an application very quickly, however that sucker needed a lawyer to figure out, haha. The one that really surprised me was TaylorMade. I'm a huge fan who buy's a ton of TM stuff for my own bag, but I've pretty much given up on their rep at this point. It's a real shame as they were the first company I called.

SeeMore. Fantastic customer service.

After dealing with SeeMore the past 2 days, they absolutely get it. Best I've ever dealt with.

They will be on the list soon and I know they will come through.

I'd say SeeMore as well myself Duey.

Maybe even holler at the SCOR guys, they truly care about us average golfers.

Duey,
Im not sure this falls under customer service in the same way most view it because you are not dealing with the consumer side of the industry. There are many factors that can be involved here. You kind of inherited this position and based on the past, location and so much more there may be methods to their madness. The wholesale side of the business and the consumer side are very different.

Best experience I've ever had is with Cleveland golf. They really get it and are always willing to listen.

Tapaway!

Also Duey, keep in mind that all the stuff you bring in, you are going to be expected to sell. While bringing in Seemore and SCOR would be good for a THP proshop, many lesser educated golfers just wouldnt buy that stuff.

Id focus on companies like Nike, Titleist, Callaway and Taylormade.

Doesn't surprise me about Bridgestone. But JB is right who you are dealing with it different to the people we deal with. Good luck with this new endeavor.

Duey,
Im not sure this falls under customer service in the same way most view it because you are not dealing with the consumer side of the industry. There are many factors that can be involved here. You kind of inherited this position and based on the past, location and so much more there may be methods to their madness. The wholesale side of the business and the consumer side are very different.

Good point JB about the wholesale side being different, the entire process is new to me at this point. This club has never had a proshop or dealing with any of these companies, I just expected to see them jumping at the chance to sell their wear's. Nike was one who came through quickly even though they don't even have sell's reps here to contact me. Apparently they have the phone staff trained to deal with most any opportunities.

Also Duey, keep in mind that all the stuff you bring in, you are going to be expected to sell. While bringing in Seemore and SCOR would be good for a THP proshop, many lesser educated golfers just wouldnt buy that stuff.

Very true Thainer, excellent point.

I agree with this completely. My efforts are aimed to the more widely known names at this point, but keeping my eye's open to a quality deal.

Sorry to say, SCOR would sit on the shelf and collect dust in a Pro Shop!

PING is great all around I'd say. But be careful with them. One slip up and they'll take your contract and run it through the shredder. ie. No matter what, do not include their product in a sale, prize, give away, or otherwise unless you talk to someone ahead of time and get the go ahead in writing!

Leilehua GC lost their PING contract after a local PING rep gave them the go ahead to include their products in a Christmas sale. Leilehua was absorbing the overhead and had got the thumbs up from the local rep but PING HQ caught wind and pulled ALL their stuff off the racks!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I wonder if a company like scor would be willing to let a proshop have a couple of wedges that they could let golfers demo in order to get better name recognition and then have a system where they could order clubs through the shop giving a slight cut to the pro shop for bringing them the sale.

Reps will be different relative to area obviously, but from my experiences of working in the pro shop, these are the ones I've had the best experiences with:

Ping
Sun Mountain
Bridgestone
Titleist/Footjoy
Sunice

The Taylormade rep was nice to us only because our GM was a Taylormade staffer.

I wont say who I didn't have nice experiences with.

Not sure what sort of club this is for but from experience of the club I worked at, clothing was what we moved the most of, clubs sat for very long periods of time. Not saying that the same will happen, but think it might be something to keep track of early on.

I don't expect to be a big account for any of these companies starting out and they know that. As a past consumer I have my own favorites I'd love to see in the shop, but it has to fit from everyone's side and shelf space with start out limited. I've had a ton of requests from members to stock certain ball's, wedges, gloves and the like, but very few who have mentioned iron/woods set's.

I wonder if a company like scor would be willing to let a proshop have a couple of wedges that they could let golfers demo in order to get better name recognition and then have a system where they could order clubs through the shop giving a slight cut to the pro shop for bringing them the sale.

I think this would be a great idea, but I kind of doubt most companies would be willing. We can always hope as companies like Scor really need to be tried to believe. They have a great product.

Reps will be different relative to area obviously, but from my experiences of working in the pro shop, these are the ones I've had the best experiences with:

Ping
Sun Mountain
Bridgestone
Titleist/Footjoy
Sunice

The Taylormade rep was nice to us only because our GM was a Taylormade staffer.

I wont say who I didn't have nice experiences with.

Not sure what sort of club this is for but from experience of the club I worked at, clothing was what we moved the most of, clubs sat for very long periods of time. Not saying that the same will happen, but think it might be something to keep track of early on.

I can see this. We sell a lot of logo clothes now, but that's all we really offer at this point.

I think this would be a great idea, but I kind of doubt most companies would be willing. We can always hope as companies like Scor really need to be tried to believe. They have a great product.

I can see this. We sell a lot of logo clothes now, but that's all we really offer at this point.

Besides balls, our biggest sellers were Footjoy gloves (could barely keep them in stock), and a lot of logo'd clothing. Logo'd Sunice jackets were a really big seller.

Besides balls, our biggest sellers were Footjoy gloves (could barely keep them in stock), and a lot of logo'd clothing. Logo'd Sunice jackets were a really big seller.

You know, that's a company I have not thought about and one that needs contacted. They seem well set up for most golfers needs. Pukka is another I will certainly be approaching soon.

Yeah bigger companies like Ping, Taylormade, Nike etc wouldn't be willing to do something I'd imagine but you might have a shot with a company that doesn't have a real retail presence or brand recognition

I am guessing all of these companies will be happy to come on board and a lot of my thoughts will change as I start dealing with them on a daily basis. It' just very interesting at this point to see who jumps the quickest, but like I mentioned we just went through a Holiday, so I may be seeing a lot of reps playing catch-up at this point. The toughest part for me will be in seeing all the beautiful stuff bought by someone else for their bag and not my own, lol.

Best experience I've ever had is with Cleveland golf. They really get it and are always willing to listen.

Tapaway!

I second this. I bought a used DST off of Ebay and the same day the head snapped off. No idea why. Brought it to my local shop and told them it broke under normal use. Had a brand new one within a week!

Cleveland is a great company and one I hope to deal with at some point. I think JB hit the mark in pointing out this will be very different from a standard customer service point of view. On a wholesale basis things may be very different moving forward.

I am guessing all of these companies will be happy to come on board and a lot of my thoughts will change as I start dealing with them on a daily basis. It' just very interesting at this point to see who jumps the quickest, but like I mentioned we just went through a Holiday, so I may be seeing a lot of reps playing catch-up at this point. The toughest part for me will be in seeing all the beautiful stuff bought by someone else for their bag and not my own, lol.

If the TM is the same as the one here, he will be busy. Most courses have some sort of connection to TM and/or Adidas. Like I said, we sort of got special treatment because of our GM, but for the most part he always seemed to be on the go, but not going to get much deeper into that because that is an individual an not necessarily the best representative of the company who has seemed to be nothing except amazing to members here.

Back