Dealing with 'winter blues'

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
Curious if anyone in the northern half of the US has the 'winter blues' or Seasonal Affective Disorder and how you go about making it better. For golf withdrawal i've started taking lessons, and spending time in the golf sim also, but that doesn't help the lack of sun we have right now.

Curious if anyone in the northern half of the US has the 'winter blues' or Seasonal Affective Disorder and how you go about making it better. For golf withdrawal i've started taking lessons, and spending time in the golf sim also, but that doesn't help the lack of sun we have right now.

I spend as much time on the forum as possible, feeling that community connection and talking about equipment I probably won't buy. It's tough man, I talk to my wife about how much I hate this State usually from December through March every year.

At the end of the day, it's all about keeping busy mentally and staying the hell away from the TV for me.

I hear what you're saying. When I lived in NY/NJ, I couldn't wait for spring to arrive. I use to have the "winter blues" too until I moved to the desert.

My forum participation definitely ramps up this time of year as I live vicariously through those that are out there hitting the links.

I try to play sim golf as well when I can swing it and I do some indoor practice drills to try and keep the game sharp.

I also take Vitamin D

We live in the Okanagan Valley which is beautiful in the summer but basically has low level valley cloud all winter. The sun is rare.
I'm lucky in that I get out to sunny destinations for work. I suggest vitamin D pills if you aren't getting enough sun in the winter. It helps.
For golf, I enjoy this time of year because I strictly work on mechanics with no pressure of playing.

I spend as much time on the forum as possible, feeling that community connection and talking about equipment I probably won't buy. It's tough man, I talk to my wife about how much I hate this State usually from December through March every year.

At the end of the day, it's all about keeping busy mentally and staying the hell away from the TV for me.
I never really equated it with TV, but that's a really good idea. I always say i'm going to read more, i should be doing that instead of binge watching on Netflix...

We live in the Okanagan Valley which is beautiful in the summer but basically has low level valley cloud all winter. The sun is rare.
I'm lucky in that I get out to sunny destinations for work. I suggest vitamin D pills if you aren't getting enough sun in the winter. It helps.
For golf, I enjoy this time of year because I strictly work on mechanics with no pressure of playing.
This year, i've made so much progress on my swing due to lessons and sim work. You're right about the pressure. It's not about the score, it's just about making solid contact each time... When i get out on the course, i'm always trying to chase that elusive number instead of just having fun...

Winter is something I don't handle well. I don't know if it's because I grew up in Southern Ca (even though I've been back here almost 17 years), but I hate all the inside time, the cold, the gray, etc.

Staying away from the TV is good advice. I stay busy, exercise, pay attention to the new club releases and of I can, try to take a trip some where warmer.

I never really equated it with TV, but that's a really good idea. I always say i'm going to read more, i should be doing that instead of binge watching on Netflix...

Man, I absolutely refuse to watch TV and do nothing else. Spend 3 hours in front of the TV and tell me you feel invigorated.. Absolutely not.

If I've got the television on, I am ALWAYS doing something else, whether it's surfing the web, rolling putts, posting on THP, or even video gaming. That idle time destroys me.

I bought one of these a couple years ago: http://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-SunTouch-Light-Therapy-package/dp/B000W8Y7FY/ref=sr_1_13

I run it at least a half hour a day or so whenever I feel like I need it. It feels like a weird thing, but I can totally notice it's effect on my mood (whether it's placebo effect or not).
I believe it does have an effect... I just got a Phillips Blu light, and noticed that i'm in a much better mood on days i use it. And contrary to instructions, it must work a little, i tried it before bed and couldn't fall asleep for another 2 hours one time..

Winter is something I don't handle well. I don't know if it's because I grew up in Southern Ca (even though I've been back here almost 17 years), but I hate all the inside time, the cold, the gray, etc.

Staying away from the TV is good advice. I stay busy, exercise, pay attention to the new club releases and of I can, try to take a trip some where warmer.
Excercise is something i need to be doing, that i just get lazy and set aside. I had completed a 7 week bootcamp through work, but it ended in october. Something like that now, would be nice. Other than getting up at 5am... getting in the excercise and feeling accomplished by 6:30 in the morning helps set the tone for the day...

I can't believe I forgot about this too...

I spend way too much time in front of a laptop, as a side effect of work / being a nerd.

I use https://justgetflux.com/ to help regulate the display color based on time of day. This helps make sure my blue light exposure doesn't give me insomnia.

I have always hated winter here in northern Pa with lake effect snow and no sunshine. 4 yrs ago at the age of 41 I bought a snowmobile to see if it would help me get through the winter blues and it has definately helped. Instead of being inside it gets you out and going and is a blast. I have trouble keeping warm as a norm but with the sled gear and heated grips I am able to not only stay warm but usually am sweating from the activity.

The other thing it has done is turned my mind around in a 180 as to how I think about the snowfall. I used to dread any of it and hated the forecast of more on the way to now I can't get enough because the more we get means the better the riding is.

You don't nessecarily need to buy a sled but try to find something that you can enjoy and get your mind to look forward to. Maybe bowling on a league once or twice a week that you can look forward to as an example.

I wish you well as I know how bad the winter depression gets.

I'm really struggling with this right now and I think I'm driving my wife crazy. I've been going to the golf simulator once a week which is great, but I'm still cooped up inside while doing it. Our kids keep us busy for the most part but I'm really just tired of being inside. I just bought a couple crossword and word search books to pass some time and I really need to start reading some more, that could definitely help. I've been exercising a little but I hurt my heel recently so that's been pretty limited. Winter has been brutal on my wallet also, way too many golf purchases and I can't hardly use them! Someday I may get smart and move South!

I've lived in cold weather all my life. I just forget about playing golf in November, and put the clubs away until about March or April. Never did me any good to go out on the random warm day or brave the cold. I'd rather just be excluded from all activity if I can't do it when and how I want.

For me it's sim golf and THP time that gets me through the winter days. But hey, we gain like 2 minutes of daylight a day now. Spring is coming.

It seems to me that for one to be "blue" responding to most scenarios, one makes the conscious decision to be blue via a negative perspective. I've heard it said that unless one has cried, one does not truly understand the pleasure of laughter, if one has never been sad, they miss the total joy of happiness. From the golf perspective, the two and a half months where my ability to play is restricted by winter provides a greater appreciation for the months that I can. I'm sitting here now saying in about a month and a half, my new golf season will be here. I say this with a refreshed perspective and anticipation, that I would not have without the winter interlude.

Between, the Forum, indoor putting and chipping, plus I drink!!

weekly sim gatherings at my golf buddy's office makes it easier, and hibernation.

I do to have the blues but I miss being able to hit balls at the range or play some golf. I stay on THP and just try to stay busy, I hit the gym at lunch or in the evening.

Sim golf at lunch and more working out helps get me through the winter.

I've played for 40+ years and have grown use to the off season. I work on clubs and do other winter related things. I have not hit a club since November and most years it is early to mid April before we can play. I don't have a lot of trouble getting going again. Within a week or two, I'm good to go. I have to see real live ball flight, so no sims or nets for me. They hurt more than they help.

Living in a winter snow climate in Montana, I don't get winter blues but do feel golf blues. I miss playing, and without that it is hard to engage in golf, here or anywhere. The closest I have gotten to golf is nordic skiing on 2 local golf courses. I play holes in my head as I slip slide around. We've had continuous snowpack on the ground since November, a fairly typical winter. Last winter, however, was an outlier, and I started golfing here in March. No such luck this year.

I think it's time for a lot of you to make the move down to Texas. You still get winters for a day or 2 followed by spring like conditions the next 2 days.

We'll have your cowboy hat waiting for ya as you exit the plane!

Back