Do You Aim Correctly?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Edel shared this and it is really well done. How do you think you would fare with your gamer?

honestly right now I probably would not fare well based on the number of 4-8 ft putts I'm missing.

Love the laser

Pretty well I'd imagine. 😁

Probably a bit right.

It's super interesting and would love to find out. I think I would actually end up pretty close, but may have to go see.

It's super interesting and would love to find out. I think I would actually end up pretty close, but may have to go see.
So did I- went in with my fit putter and thought I got this.... I was sadly mistaken.

It is interesting how seemingly passive changes can make a difference.

This stuff is what makes me intrigued about Edel putters, even though I really love my existing gamer. I suspect my aim is off.

Probably a touch right, or I’m amazing at not releasing the putter and blocking the heck out of it.

At their fitting, I found out I was way to the right, but they fixed that

I have done a Edel fitting and have the alignment aid that was prescribed from that fitting. It is something that needs to be reviewed here and there so can't say I am aimed correctly all the time but I am equipped to aim correctly.

I’m really not sure. Probably not great given my putting.

I think so, but really need to find out.

I went for a putter fitting last year. Bottom line of the results: The putter I'd been using, a SeeMore Si5 mallet, was the best putter for me.

I wasn't satisfied with the results of the fitting and, it turned out, maybe that mallet wasn't the best putter for me.

Later, after looking at Edel's site and learning about aim bias, I found out I wasn't aiming that putter anywhere near where I thought I was [1]. So maybe I'd been swinging that mallet the best of everything we'd tried, but that might've been because I was used to the compensations I'd learned to put into my stroke to make it work.

Tried my Odyssey SL DW blade and found I aimed that much better [1].

Went back to the store. Worked with one of the club guys and found I aimed a wide blade much better there, too. [2]

To answer the question: I don't know. I do suspect a lot better with the DW blades I'm now swinging than the mallet I used to.

[1] The way I determined this was crude, but effective. I'd been practicing in the basement, which is carpeted with indoor/outdoor carpet squares. After perusing the Edel site I thought "What if I try aiming the putter at the "hole," rather than keying on the seam lines of the carpet squares?" [3] (Yeah, I know: Duh.)

[2] This was determined by me setting up, aiming at the hole, with the putter resting on the floor, than asking the club guy assisting me, standing directly behind the putter so he could sight right down the putter's alignment line, if I was truly aiming at the hole. We did this test repeatedly. [3]

[3] Neither of these processes were nearly as accurate as Edel's fitting process, but they did produce ball park results. I bought some tiny rectangular mirrors with the thought of trying to replicate Edel's aiming test. Figured I could probably use the laser in my Bosch laser measuring thingamajig. Haven't gotten around to playing with the idea, yet.

I'd guess yes or favoring the right edge.

Would be interesting to test.

That video is a bit dramatized though, the putter head is noteably misaligned even from a 2" Twitter video.

I am completely ignorant on my aim tendency.

Yes I had fitting at Club Champion and was aimed perfect every time. My problem is I over read break outside.

Very cool video. I have listened to and heard that even there your face may be open or closed to path. That may be your natural aim. For example Tiger is always a little open because he likes to "hook" his putts. Now, dont go crazy. I am not trying to compare to Tiger. I am just curious if they think that for someone like that. Would being square at set up help or hinder them..

FOr the record I have no idea where I am aimed.

This is very impressive an intimidating. I'd be afraid to see how dumb I really am when it comes to aim.

I'd guess yes or favoring the right edge.

Would be interesting to test.

That video is a bit dramatized though, the putter head is noteably misaligned even from a 2" Twitter video.
Maybe for the purpose of the filming the video it was just to get the point across, but that magnitude of aim bias definitely exists and was the case for me as I was a good 4-5" right of the plate. Probably could easily tell I was misaligned from behind, but looked right to me standing over the ball at the time.

Based on on course results...probably not haha

Back