Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 13 12.6%

• Total voters
No, why invite 144-156 players when are only going to let roughly half of them finish their work.

I mean who sends half their players home after half time?

I like it because of the pressure that it builds. I do however feel like the people who miss the cut should get paid at least enough to cover travel expenses and pay their caddy

Golf is one of those fickle games in which you don't know who is going to play well.
A lot can happen between the invitation and the tournament!
It is rare for a player to be consistently good every week.

No, why invite 144-156 players when are only going to let roughly half of them finish their work.

I mean who sends half their players home after half time?
Golf does - to answer the question, but it's not even close to the only one.

There are plenty of sports that do it, anything with a knock out bracket, double elimination bracket, GSL groups etc you play then you leave.

Those half had finished their work based upon the criteria to move forward.

Golf does - to answer the question, but it's not even close to the only one.

There are plenty of sports that do it, anything with a knock out bracket, double elimination bracket, GSL groups etc you play then you leave.

Those half had finished their work based upon the criteria to move forward.
Sorry, I should have used the sarcasm font in that last statement. I don’t disagree with what you said.

However, I am a bigger fan of just inviting 54-80 players to play all 3 or 4 rounds.

From a logistical POV, the weekend play might be faster and more efficient. From a viewer POV, I wouldn't mind seeing players have to grind out the weekend if they are playing poorly or had bad rounds the first two days. Not sure if a cut matters much. :unsure:

I'd like to hear from the PGA pros if they played bad the first couple of rounds would want to pack it up and leave or just grind out weekend. Also, there is always the big cut at the end of the year. Definitely a debate.

Last edited:
I mean what’s the pressure if you just get to show up and collect? Prove your worth. In every other job you have to do that.

Absolutely

Cuts are important, not just for pace of play but also to keep the well performing players from being slowed down by those who aren’t.

I mean what’s the pressure if you just get to show up and collect? Prove your worth. In every other job you have to do that.
This is where I am at with it. Getting paid to be DFL? No thanks, give me a cut line and let me watch golfers go to work trying to make it.

This is where I am at with it. Getting paid to be DFL? No thanks, give me a cut line and let me watch golfers go to work trying to make it.
So Nick Dunlap shouldn’t be paid for his three days of work at Pebble?

Poor guy misses out on a winners check and then you do him like that on his DFL money. Brutal Mr Grinch, brutal.:oops:

So Nick Dunlap shouldn’t be paid for his three days of work at Pebble?

Poor guy misses out on a winners check and then you do him like that on his DFL money. Brutal Mr Grinch, brutal.:oops:
He absolutely should be paid for his 3 days of work at Pebble. It's a no-cut event, show up, get paid, that's the rules for that tourney.

I prefer tournaments to have cuts, just my preference.

yes, cuts are important. Theses guys make money from sponsors wether they make the cut or not but they make more if they make the cut

Cuts make sense, it’s competition and it drives the motivation to succeed.

He absolutely should be paid for his 3 days of work at Pebble. It's a no-cut event, show up, get paid, that's the rules for that tourney.

I prefer tournaments to have cuts, just my preference.
I would rather see two events with 70-80 players in each and no cuts in either. Plenty of good players to support that.

Make them earn their money.
So make them stay and play the weekend even if they sh*t the bed the first couple days. I like it. 👍🏻

I don’t think I care. I don’t mind having elevated events where you earn your way into a no-cut field. No sense in having guys play the weekend after very poor showings on Thursday & Friday.

I don’t think I care. I don’t mind having elevated events where you earn your way into a no-cut field. No sense in having guys play the weekend after very poor showings on Thursday & Friday.
Have you ever been to an event? Did you go on a Thursday or did you want to be there on the weekend with all the excitement? Or maybe just had to work on the Thurs/Fri. Have you ever been to one to see your favorite player and he's not there on the day you booked your trip and bought tickets for because of a bad day or draw, and missed the cut?

Just throwing out some questions.

Have you ever been to an event? Did you go on a Thursday or did you want to be there on the weekend with all the excitement? Or maybe just had to work on the Thurs/Fri. Have you ever been to one to see your favorite player and he's not there on the day you booked your trip and bought tickets for because of a bad day or draw, and missed the cut?

Just throwing out some questions.
Been to a number of events. Don’t think I’d ever buy weekend tickets to an event with a cut in the hopes of seeing a specific golfer. A lot of this comes back to field size and I don’t know what the answer is for that. Events don’t need cuts to be competitive or drive these guys to play their best, that much I know.

Been to a number of events. Don’t think I’d ever buy weekend tickets to an event with a cut in the hopes of seeing a specific golfer. A lot of this comes back to field size and I don’t know what the answer is for that. Events don’t need cuts to be competitive or drive these guys to play their best, that much I know.
It happens though. Guys you don't expect to miss the cut do sometimes. I just think people forget that it's an actual event sometimes. Often a destination event. Not just something you see on TV.

Agree with you about needing it to drive them.

Everyone always says golf is better with Tiger in it. No matter how he plays. So there seems to be a disconnect from those same people on the value of him missing the cut and not being there on the weekend. It's all just odd, and inconsistent, and wrapped up in too much idolizing of tradition imo.

What happened to tradition?

What happened is TV networks who really run the PGAT want the good ole boys in the tournament all weekend no matter what.

With that said expect more limited field no-cut events in the near future.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

I doubt that LIV will be around in 3 years if they don’t merge with the PGA Tour. As is LIV is not financially viable. The Saudis could fund the tour forever but at some point someone will get bored and cut the purse strings.

I honestly don’t believe that LIV was anything other than an attempt to destabilize the pga tour and get into a deal with golf’s establishment.
well that have done some things largest of which expose the absolute disgrace and incompetence of the people who run the tour and OWGR.

One thing about cuts, it separates those who achieve and those that didn't. Example. Zach Johnson failed to make it to the top 125 in the FedEx Cup standings. He finished in 168th position in the standings, resulting in him missing the next season of the PGA Tour, but he does have based on Career earnings exemptions which gets him into some events. Jason Dufner, Luke Donald, Stewart Cink ( Cink won 2021 Heritage so he will get the PGA Tour winner exemption for the 2024 season) and everyone favorite, Rory Sabbatini . Of course there are a lot of others.

But when do you actually get to 'watch' it? Because I know for sure the TV coverage is lacking when it comes to tracking players as they straddle the cut line

Back