Do you hit the ball high enough?

Then I find it hard to believe I hit the ball that much higher with my scoring irons. Then again my spin numbers are nowhere near as high with my XHP setup. Oh well, I'm not a pro anyway. I'll stop worrying about there data and rack my brain over my own numbers.

I agree here. However, high ball flights still aren't an issue most of us need to worry on. Unless those high launches are coming from not compressing the golf ball and scooping it into the air.

I like to envision a garden hose when thinking about how high I want my ball flight. We all know what you have to do to get more distance out of a stream of water, raise it up. Eventually you reach a point where you have the maximum distance and if you keep going up you start to lose it again. Next time you're outside with a hose, try it out and see how high the stream is when it's at max distance. Watching that video, it looks pretty close to the same ball flight they're getting to me.

Back to the Trackman numbers,

Average Pro launches their 6i at 14*? That's where my driver launch is at. But I feel like my ball flight is comparable to the pros in the video and I'm happy with the flight I see now out of the ball...

They spin the ball far more with that 6 iron though.

They spin the ball far more with that 6 iron though.

The amount of compression tour professionals get is staggering.

The issue I have is that according to trackman and these stats, My 6 iron launches at the same height as a Tour Pro 9i. I know that's not right.

I think that Trackman chart is one of the most irrellevant charts ever constructed for the vast majority of golfers. It's fun to look at, but that's about it.

I think that Trackman chart is one of the most irrellevant charts ever constructed for the vast majority of golfers. It's fun to look at, but that's about it.

Is it accurate though? That's what I'm concerned about.

Is it accurate though? That's what I'm concerned about.

Sure it's accurate, if you're talking averages. They've lumped all kinds of different guys together to create an average, which seems to get mistaken as 'the ideal numbers' for an individual, when I don't think that's even close to the case.

I like to envision a garden hose when thinking about how high I want my ball flight. We all know what you have to do to get more distance out of a stream of water, raise it up. Eventually you reach a point where you have the maximum distance and if you keep going up you start to lose it again. Next time you're outside with a hose, try it out and see how high the stream is when it's at max distance. Watching that video, it looks pretty close to the same ball flight they're getting to me.

Yep, that's the range equation. It's a lot different with a golf ball though because you have to factor in both launch and spin. Ideal launch conditions for a projectile are 45* of launch and 0 rpms of spin. Lol.

The issue I have is that according to trackman and these stats, My 6 iron launches at the same height as a Tour Pro 9i. I know that's not right.

Why is it an issue? The norm on tour is not the high ball any more. It more mid/high. With some saying ideal launch being 14* to max out the planning effect with the driver.

Why is it an issue? The norm on tour is not the high ball any more. It more mid/high. With some saying ideal launch being 14* to max out the planning effect with the driver.

I think my issue is that if I hit the ball 3 clubs higher then Tour players, I think I need to radically change something in my swing.

I think my issue is that if I hit the ball 3 clubs higher then Tour players, I think I need to radically change something in my swing.

You are basing this on one video. Concentrate on solid contact and the rest will take care of itself.

Each player arrives at the dance in different fashions. There is no one correct way.

You are basing this on one video. Concentrate on solid contact and the rest will take care of itself.

Each player arrives at the dance in different fashions. There is no one correct way.

We call that more than one way to skin a cat where I'm from.

If love to hit high all the time but being to regulate my ball flight is more beneficial for me.

If love to hit high all the time but being to regulate my ball flight is more beneficial for me.

For those of us that can't do that yet, which do you think is the better option, a mid flight or a high one?

For those of us that can't do that yet, which do you think is the better option, a mid flight or a high one?
I don't think either is better. I think solid Contact will impart the spin you want and the loft you can provide. I have yet to see a solidly struck ball not do what it was intended. Very few of us play on rock hard green so solid contact will do the trick.
If you get caught up in hitting high and can't even make solid contact you are asking for trouble. Find a ball that works for you and your set, and work it out.

I've been watching my ball flight recently because of this thread.

On my short irons, and 3wood, I would say yes I do. (when I hit it good.)

My driver, and like 4-6 irons, no.

My hybrids it's sometimes yes and no.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I was smoking my driver, mid irons & wedges today but my long irons were killing me. I would like a little higher flight but with the wind today, high was not the shot you wanted.

Thanks for the video. That is something you never see on TV. On television they hit the ball, the camera shows the ball in the air against a blue sky background for a few second, then you see where it landed.

That is some great video.

Thanks for sharing,

Jackal

Back