Do you mind having a bag from a manufacturer when none of your equipment is from that manufacturer?

It doesn't bother me at all if I like the bag. Liking the bag is more important to me than what is on the side. I have Ping Moonlite bag that I carry most of the time and I don't have any Ping clubs in my bag.

Yes, I mind. It OCDs me and I can’t do it.

Doesn’t matter to me who makes my bag, but in general I don’t like big names on my bags. It’s like buying a coach purse for my wife. I don’t like all the CC or the word Coach all over.

A small Ping, Callaway, or whomever is fine even if I don’t use those clubs. I just like a 14- way divider and lots of pockets.

I'm weird, I can't do it. I'll only get a bag like that if I have their equipment. Also not just one piece, a decent amount.

If you're weirded out by that, then who is buying "Bag-Boy" and "Ogio" bags?
You missed my point, I think. That is the great thing about a bag by Bag-Boy, Vessel or others who do not make equipment. You can put any equipment you want in the bag and don’t look like you are repping something you don’t desire to play.

I really only look at the how well the features, quality, and price stack up to my needs; zero concern as to if the brands match.

Adding another layer, how many would be bothered by a bag embroidered with a local course logo if they weren't members of that golf course?
Fall/winter 2019 I was 100% set on upgrading to an Ogio Alpha 514 RTC bag but resisted the Black Friday sales to see if any might be available at our annual PGA merchandise sale. (15-20 local courses join forces to fill up a rented retail space for a big blowout in early Dec). There were two 514 RTC at the pre-sale, from competing courses. Neither was my preferred color but both were discounted huge based off what I was seeing on the recent Black Friday specials. As I was looking them over and trying to decide a pro from one of the courses came over to help, the other guy was sitting just 10 feet away, overheard me tell the pro helping me that I was getting one of these, just deciding on which color. He gets up jots 'a number' on a sticky note and slips it to me. First guy follows suit and I have the bag I'd been wanting for months. The course logo does bug me a little but the price was just so good.

Last edited:
Yes, I mind. It OCDs me and I can’t do it.
☝☝☝
Totally agree. I can't do it. I started getting Ogio and SunMountain bags so I wouldn't run into that problem.

don’t look like you are repping something you don’t desire to play.

None of us are pros getting paid to play our gear. We’re not repping anything. If an OEM wants to pay me to play their gear, I’ll happily play it throughout my bag. When I’m paying though, I‘m going to put whatever clubs I want in whatever bag I want.

It’s amazing how deeply marketing departments have managed to get into people‘s heads, all while getting free advertising.

strangely yes. I don't like having a bag of an OEM without having at least one of their clubs in their. Probably one of the reasons why I went to a jones bag so now I don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn’t mind. Especially for an orange bag. I like orange.

None of us are pros getting paid to play our gear. We’re not repping anything. If an OEM wants to pay me to play their gear, I’ll happily play it throughout my bag. When I’m paying though, I‘m going to put whatever clubs I want in whatever bag I want.

It’s amazing how deeply marketing departments have managed to get into people‘s heads, all while getting free advertising.
The thread was intended to be light hearted. That being said, I would respectfully disagree that you are not repping something. When you are carrying a bag with a big name emblazoned across it, you are repping it, imo, even though you don’t receive a dime. Same with a hat that says “Titleist.” It is not something that is in my head as in causing me stress, but I figure, why would I provide free advertising for Titleist by wearing its hat, if I am not playing the balls or equipment? That’s why I love the third-party bags.

This isn’t a big deal, just fun discussion. There obviously are opinions going both ways, which is a good thing.

I used to have a sun mountain bag, but none of my clubs were sun mountain.

I like the bag to match but reality is not everyone plays a full bag of matching equipment. The functionality of the bag is more important than anything.

One of the reasons I buy Ogio or Sun Mountain, well besides they are great bags. I change equipment enough that it would bug me. Plus, I like a lot of the OEMs so that eliminates a desire for more purchases.

Except my Cobra staffer, that one is special.

I have a Titleist StaDry stand bag and no Titleist clubs in it. I do have some ProV1's in it though. Does that count?

No. Can’t do it historically

my current bag is a bag boy so it is brand agnostic

I now have a generic bag with W-S clubs, no bother and before that had a Titleist bag with no Titleist clubs; maybe a few Titleist balls though. :)

I've been rocking an amazing Srixon bag for the past year or so and did not own any Srixon clubs. I do play a Srixon Z-Star ball usually though, not sure if that counts...

Easy for me to say it wouldn’t bother me when my bag basically matches my entire set in a way. But honestly it wouldn’t bother me if it changed.

Even though a bag is just another piece of equipment, I've always shied away from having an OEM bag for which I don't play any of their clubs. I've always been partial to Sun Mountain bags anyway, so that has kept it pretty simple. They just have the style of bag with the features I'm looking for I guess.

Can't do it Captain! I don't think I've ever even had any OEM bag so tend to gravitate towards the Vessels of the world. Even a non-OEM bag with a large logo is a no no.

I don't like having OEM bags at all, really. I had a TM bag, but I didn't have any TM clubs and it did bother me. I now have a Sun Mountain bag, which is great, and has the added bonus that I don't have to think about what clubs I'm putting in it.

Back