Do You Regrip Your Own Clubs?

I do my own, but I guess I’m old fashioned. No vice, and no special tools. I just use a utility knife to cut off the old, and then use the tape and solvent over a utility sink to re-grip. Have been doing it for years this way, and has never given me any issues.

I do my own, with just a hook knife and tape and solvent over a bucket or paint roller pan. Speaking of that I need to regrip my clubs after christmas.

I think I’m ready to attempt this myself. I have a pretty well equipped shop, what do I need to order beforehand? Are there any YouTube tutorials that you recommend I reference? What tools do I need to buy?

I do my own. Vise in the garage with a rubber vise shaft clamp. A hooked blade solvent and a roll of 2 sided tape. Oh and a tub under the shaft for excess solvent. Not pretty but it gets the job done.

I think I’m ready to attempt this myself. I have a pretty well equipped shop, what do I need to order beforehand? Are there any YouTube tutorials that you recommend I reference? What tools do I need to buy?
Like Disneyland but better! YouTube has many that get the main points across. 👍

Absolutely! So quick & easy & just did my neighbors a few days ago.

Vice/shaft holder in small shop at home. I used masking tape for buildup and double sided carpet tape for the layer under the grip.

I pay to have it done at a shop I trust. I could do it, but it helps the economy and won't break me.

Just prepared this beauty for its weekend debut!
10d60fdc15e1619aa5fe55f4127fe4f0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I used to change my own oil in my cars and I used to re-grip my own clubs. Now it's just too convenient and cheap enough to let a pro handle either one.

Yes, just bought a Mitchell Vise for Christmas.

I do my own regripping currently. When I was in FL at PGA Village the shop there the guy did em as I waited and the cost was that what I would pay for grips. Now in VA there just aren't any places like that so I order the grips and install. Just have a vise with rubber inlay for shaft hold.

I do my own, but I guess I’m old fashioned. No vice, and no special tools. I just use a utility knife to cut off the old, and then use the tape and solvent over a utility sink to re-grip. Have been doing it for years this way, and has never given me any issues.

I largely do it this way as well.

I completed my first DIY regrip and it wasn’t nearly as terrifying as I built it up to be in my head and was actually a bit therapeutic! Driven by fear, I got a regrip kit from Golfworks, which made it easier, but definitely wasn’t necessary.
56308A91-DB8C-476E-B2BD-01EFB323BA18.jpeg567DDA84-F2A3-4C16-9CCF-16A1F7847C37.jpeg

Nice. Congrats

Just regripped my putter and swapped grips on one of my driver shafts and experimenting with a midsize grip. Always gotta tweak and try new things.

Suction style vice, shaft holder, hook knife. Golfworks spray and precut tape. Golfworks grip saver. YouTube! It’s actually very easy and quite satisfying. Of course now I redo all my friends grips now too. Gets me a freebie lunch here and there! 👍

Last year I experimented with 3 layers of masking tape under my MCC+4's and liked it so much that I bought the Midsize this year. Did them over Christmas while the course was closed. New grips sure feel good. I used to get them installed for $2-4 a grip before I retired and relocated, Then at the new location the place wanted $8 a grip just to install plus the grips. Time to DIY for this retiree. Pretty easy, bought a rubber clamp for in my vise and some strips and solvent. Now I have a roll of tape and use mineral spirits. Satisfying job to do and easy.

I do my own. Vise in the garage with a rubber vise shaft clamp. A hooked blade solvent and a roll of 2 sided tape. Oh and a tub under the shaft for excess solvent. Not pretty but it gets the job done.

I was much the same way, but nowadays I'm built more for comfort than for speed! Besides, a local golf shop includes installation in the price of the grip, so why not?

I learned to regrip from a youtube video last year and since it is super simple and isn't too messy. I just do it on my patio over a piece of cardboard to collect drips of solvent and I don't use a clamp or vise, just enough solvent on tape and inside grip so as not to drip too much. I use pre cut 2 sided tape strips along with mineral spirits, super easy to DIY.

Back