Do You Use Your 3-Wood?

If I'm 220 from the green on a par 5 (which is about 3W distance for me), I'm laying up to a comfortable distance and leaving myself an easy wedge in. The chances of me hitting a green from 200+ are slim to none, while the chances of me getting into trouble and blowing up the hole while trying to do so are pretty good. As Dirty Harry famously said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

I do, but it's closer to a 4w (16.5*). Results vary on the swing that I bring on that particular day but when I'm swinging well, I can hit it off a tee or the deck.

Do others sense top tour pros going more with higher loft like 15 degrees in winning bags lately instead of 13 or less? Maybe using an adjustable with less less loft and also getting spin they want but that is my perception from the sites I have seen. Again FW are the hardest clubs in bag by far for me to change out no matter how aged once I find one works pretty well.

Mine sits at 15 or 16 of loft, so it's between a 3 and 4 wood. I use it frequently off the tee, and pretty often off the deck on par 5s. I have the occasional stinker where I hit it fat, but overall my results are good with it.

Do others sense top tour pros going more with higher loft like 15 degrees in winning bags lately instead of 13 or less? Maybe using an adjustable with less less loft and also getting spin they want but that is my perception from the sites I have seen. Again FW are the hardest clubs in bag by far for me to change out no matter how aged once I find one works pretty well.
I don't think it's a question of them wanting more loft. For most pros there's a given yardage they're trying to hit that club. For most of us the 3 wood is a hit & hope with a known max likely distance (if there's any club where we're going to say "Goes 240 if I button one" it's our 3 wood) but they have a much stringent yardage in mind, generally.

If I had to guess, it's more about being able to loft it down to open the face. If you loft down a 13*, you just have a second driver.

All the time. I wish I used it more.

I use mine quite a bit. Typically 4 - 6 times per round off both tee and deck.

It's mainly used off the tee, but on occasion I have pulled it on my 2nd shot on par 5s, but that's rare. It does the job for me off the tee though!

I use my 3 wood and 5 wood frequently, at least a couple of times every round and love them both.

I used to love my 3 wood, had some mental block with it this year and dropped it from the bag for a 2 utility iron. Have one round and a bunch of range/TrackMan time in with the TSi3 and I am feeling that confidence return. Looking forward to next season and adding that piece back into the bag.

I like both my 3W and my heaven wood and use each a bunch. But I am very comfortable hitting my 3w off the tee or off the deck. But it also saves me once or twice a round off a terrible tee shot and still giving me a chance for an up and down or a bogey.

It’s mostly in the bag to take space and for aesthetic purposes. I’ve used a 3w off the tee, 4 times maybe this year....I prefer the look of a hybrid off the tee mostly

3 and 5 woods always in my bag and use them often. Some rounds a bunch and other rounds little to none. Just depends on the given shot scenarios that day. Both from tees or from fairways (and even sometimes first cuts). Again...all scenario dependent.

I do lose some yardage when from ground (off the deck) vs tee up usage. Reason being is that if I dont keep quiet legs I will struggle to make good contact unless on a tee. A lot of chunckies off the deck unless I quiet the legs for that. But the yardage loss due to that when from the deck is very acceptable because prior to keeping steady legs my successful shot percentage from the deck was miserable. So that small negative when hitting from the deck is far outweighed by a much higher percentage of now well hit balls from the deck. On tbe tees then I can put more leg movement aa normal and dont have the same issue.

None the less....my 3 and 5 woods are as key as any other clubs in my bag. Usage all just depends on scenarios.

Typical round I'll hit my 3w about 5 times. once/twice off tee 3/4 times off deck. Very confident with it.

Use it quite often on par 4 tee shots unless its a shorter dogleg in which case I'll use my utility.. And recently as my swing improves have been using it off the deck on long par 5's. Before I would struggle on the long par 5's but having the 3w shot in the bag opens up the hole. It will have to be on the fairway where the lie is perfect for me to get clean contact tho. If not I'll defer to my hybrid.

Last edited:
All the time. It’s a precision tee club for me, and useable off the deck into par 5’s when the layout of the hole (where danger is) permits it.

For most golfers though, it’s a hard club to hit consistently, and honestly more who want to carry one should probably carry a 4 or even 5 wood instead.

Love my 3W off the tee but I’m junk w/ it off the turf. For this reason I’m gonna look hard at a 4/5W next year.

I never hit it off the tee. My max drive is 240 yards. My max 3 wood off a tee is like 215. I cannot give up the distance or the forgiveness of the driver to gain a slight accuracy edge.
If I may.......I like to discuss your thought process/logic based on your statement.
Are there not enough holes (among the shorter ones) where 215 from the tee is more than suitable? especially say on some doglegs?
On similar holes are there not also scenarios where hitting driver 240ish may be detrimental if not shaped or placed or cut the corner? Or where as also the 240 if hit too straight might be too long? I might be just a bit longer when hitting well and I know I find what I mention to be the case often. Heck, sometimes its even 5wood that does that job and the 3w can be a bnit detrimental if not placed. All of course depending on winds and tee placements etc... No?. ..... Just honest and curious thought/discussion.

If I may.......I like to discuss your thought process/logic based on your statement.
Are there not enough holes (among the shorter ones) where 215 from the tee is more than suitable? especially say on some doglegs?
On similar holes are there not also scenarios where hitting driver 240ish may be detrimental if not shaped or placed or cut the corner? Or where as also the 240 if hit too straight might be too long? I might be just a bit longer when hitting well and I know I find what I mention to be the case often. Heck, sometimes its even 5wood that does that job and the 3w can be a bnit detrimental if not placed. All of course depending on winds and tee placements etc... No?. ..... Just honest and curious thought/discussion.
Not on my home course and very rarely on any course when I play with my friends. They like to play 6500ish which leaves a lot of room to hit a max 240 yard drive generally. I mean 240 is the max, the average is more like 220.

I have a 3w lofted up to 17*.... I love it, hit the crap out of it, but hardly ever truly need it. I mainly hit it off the tee solely bc I haven't hit it in a couple rounds. I never need a 3w on an approach for a par 5 so truthfully its kind of a wasted spot in my bag
My 4 wood is only 16*, but it is way easier to hit than my old 3 wood.

I went a LONG time with my 3 wood as my longest club and primary tee club. I recently bought a driver, though, and started taking some lessons. Since then I’ve completely lost the ability to hit my 3 wood well. Turns out I don’t really miss it. The driver is a batter option from the tee, and I’m hitting my Ping 4 Crossover better from the fairway than I ever have the 3 wood. I still have it in the bag, but I haven’t used it once in my last five rounds or so.

Not on my home course and very rarely on any course when I play with my friends. They like to play 6500ish which leaves a lot of room to hit a max 240 yard drive generally. I mean 240 is the max, the average is more like 220.
Yea,...that explains the thought process much better now. My county courses (from my tees) are about 6400 to 6500. But lots of legs on all of the courses and it does make for plenty tee shots (especially the shorter holes) where 220 is more than enough and even 200 on some shotrter dog leg holes. So 3w , 5w andeven ocassionlly 4h (via winds and tee placements) can all see there fair share of tee usage. And if hit well, will leave very reasonable mix of approach distances.

Dog legs can shorten holes a lot. My firends club is similar distance and yet almostr all straight holes and it plays a whole heck of a lot longer. When there its almost always diriver even though same yardage but even agt 250 (for well hit shots) its all needed.

I use it. I like to. It doesn't get a lot of use though. Majority of the time it's just when a driver is too long for the layout and will put me in a hazard. And there are definitely courses I don't bring it over other clubs I might use more that day.

I struggled with my box set 3 wood and finally gave up. I really need that second club distance since my drives are only about 140, so last year I picked up an Epic Flash on Callaway Pre-owned. A couple of lessons and lots of range time, but it is now my go to club for anything on the fairway over 130 yds.

Back