Allen Edmonds. I bought a pair in 2010 that I still wear today

I've always been a Jimmy Choo fan myself. However being a woman I have about 20 pairs of dress shoes.

I've always been a Jimmy Choo fan myself. However being a woman I have about 20 pairs of dress shoes.

That's about my total number of ALL shoes!

my allen edmonds came in over the weekend. put them on and thought, "uh oh, these are way too tight." i figure i'll give each pair a full day in the office before making a fuss with the store. so far, they're feeling pretty good. i might just need to take my thicker socks out of the rotation.

Have you owned pairs of Alden shoes and, or boots?

Yes, but just one pair of boots that my wife gave me as a gift and they are great. I’d just rather have two pair of Allen Edmonds for every one pair of Alden’s. I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds boots at Christmas on sale for $300 and they are in no way inferior to the Alden’s I have that were $800. The leather seems identical as it should since they use the same supplier and the stitching detail and quality of the soles and construction is just as solid, IMO. Maybe I’m just a bit of a cheapskate and $800 is just too much for me. For that I could get a new pair of ski boots!

Three more pairs of the Cole Haan styles I like. Slate and Blue in fabric and brown in leather.

d4b8b6bada091bd92053813c95e88a2d.jpg

I wish I could pull off those kinds of shoes, I’ve always enjoyed the look, especially the middle pair.

But in 13/14’s....I look like Ronald McDonald haha

Three more pairs of the Cole Haan styles I like. Slate and Blue in fabric and brown in leather.

d4b8b6bada091bd92053813c95e88a2d.jpg

Had never considered cols Haan before. Just checked out their website and am impressed! Thanks for the post.

Had never considered cols Haan before. Just checked out their website and am impressed! Thanks for the post.

I have been wearing their Original Grand and ZeroGrand shoes for a couple of years now. My absolute favorite.

I have been wearing their Original Grand and ZeroGrand shoes for a couple of years now. My absolute favorite.

The one pair I have are Super comfortable. I’m just not a fan of all their styling and I’m picky. I’m still on the search for the one brand I can get multiple pairs in that I love.

Dress Shoes

Are we talking TRUE dress shoes, ones with wooden/leather soles, or “semi-dress/casual” shoes that have rubber bottoms? There IS a difference.
Bruno Magli were the best dress shoes I’ve ever owned. Made of Italian leather, even the sole, and they lasted forever!!! Thankfully, now I buy semi-dress/casual shoes from Coke Haan that have Nike Air in the sole. These are not true dress shoes, but they’re good for wearing with dress slacks and a polo/button down/sweater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For comfort, Cole Haan all day long. Literally. Not cheap, but not overly expensive. Probably in the $200-300 range if not on sale. Clearance can get down to $80 - 150. Cole Haan was partnered with Nike up until 2012 (I think), but are still super comfortable to this day.

I am on my feet 8-10-12 hours a day easy. I wear strictly Johnston & Murphy x4 shoes. Rubber soles waterproof, wear great.

Always pay top dollar for shoes and beds, if you are not in one you are in the other.

Loakes and Barkers are top quality.

Are we talking TRUE dress shoes, ones with wooden/leather soles, or “semi-dress/casual” shoes that have rubber bottoms? There IS a difference.
Bruno Magli were the best dress shoes I’ve ever owned. Made of Italian leather, even the sole, and they lasted forever!!! Thankfully, now I buy semi-dress/casual shoes from Coke Haan that have Nike Air in the sole. These are not true dress shoes, but they’re good for wearing with dress slacks and a polo/button down/sweater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With the Lunar sole? I didn't know they put air into the dress shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Lunar sole? I didn't know they put air into the dress shoes.

They don't really anymore. Back in 2012, Nike removed its share from Cole Haan.

They don't really anymore. Back in 2012, Nike removed its share from Cole Haan.

That's what I thought, but even then wasn't it just the Lunar foam or did they do a air model as well?

That's what I thought, but even then wasn't it just the Lunar foam or did they do a air model as well?

CH had several models with the air feature. This is a photo of one of the models that I had:
1_90987233f08d8297cb9b7acc29329278.jpg

Dress Shoes

CH had several models with the air feature. This is a photo of one of the models that I had:
1_90987233f08d8297cb9b7acc29329278.jpg

That's actually really neat. Had no idea. May have to look on eBay or something for some of the models. Enjoyed some of the Lunar models they did.

That's actually really neat. Had no idea. May have to look on eBay or something for some of the models. Enjoyed some of the Lunar models they did.

Those and a few other CHs I had that had the Nike Air heel were incredibly comfortable.

I'm a huge fan of English Goodyear welt shoes.

My go to is Crockett and Jones. They make a good cross section of city and country footwear. The only thing is the popular 348 last runs narrow in my opinion.

Branching out to Spanish makes, Carmina makes amazing shoes. At a very reasonable entry is Meermin (probably best bang for your buck for shoes).

A lot of Italian shoes are Blake stitch which are harder to resole, but there are a lot of Goodyear welt shoes available.

American made I lean towards Alden and Allen Edmonds. Both make classic shoes, Alden has some cool boots like the indy boot as well. If you like Americana workwear, there are a bunch of bookmakers like whites, vibergs, and Red wing.

Big thing for me is to take care of my shoes. Get nice shoes and resole them when appropriate and they will last forever. If you just cant wrap your head around leather sole shoes, go dainite for rubber soles. They wear very well and are popular enough for cobblers to usually have them in stock for a resole.

For Cole haan and ecco, they may be more comfortable initially, but they likely wont last as long as a Goodyear welt shoe that has been taken care of.

I work in a casual office of software engineers. I have a sit stand desk and often stand so I like to wear more athletic shoes. When I dress down I usually wear ultraboost shoes but I normally wear Ecco hybrid sneakers. Leather but awesome comfort of an athletic shoe.

My favorites:
c7233b7c-1e98-4673-b75e-b154e5c37d84.jpeg

836404_02001_main_nfh.jpg

I am big fan of Johnston and Murphy. I had one pair for 15 years. Only had to replace them after the sole separated after wearing them while hitting balls on the simulator.

Busted my ass last Friday wearing an old pair of wingtips that need to be resoled. I was about to send them out but then started shopping around and I’m just going to get a new pair. This will be dangerous for my wallet!

Back