Driver miss on heel

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for some feedback on what seems to be my common miss with the driver lately. When I miss on the heel its always a high and right slice that is very short too. In some of the lessons Ive had lately we've been working on getting my grip stronger which Im still struggling with a bit and getting my hands to turn over through impact. Another thing was getting my hips to clear with my right hip following through impact. I'll attach a picture of the club face below. thanks

b6dcc2ce.jpg

Interesting, I know when I miss it this way, I was standing to close to the ball and multiplied the problem by coming over the top swinging out to in. But that was me, I'm sure golftec will have a solution

Interesting, I know when I miss it this way, I was standing to close to the ball and multiplied the problem by coming over the top swinging out to in. But that was me, I'm sure golftec will have a solution

This is the ask a pro section the rules are to leave it alone until a Pro has answered.

Try the "juice the pea" drill. I'll expand on that in a bit, but first a quick explanation of what might be happening.

If the setup is solid (for example, you're not setting up on the heel and your shoulders are square), the heel contact can come from several things, but the most common is a untimely separation of arms and body. Slicers usually throw the hands and arms out at transition, which causes the club to travel outside to in, as well as increasing the distance of your hands and club from your body as compared to setup. Thus the heel contact.

So you need to juice the pea. Imagine you have a green pea in the junction between the left bicep and the left pectoralis. Keep that pinched in there as you get to the top and as the transition begins, squeeze the juices out of that pea. This sensation will bring the arms down and more connected as opposed to flying out and away.

Fair warning, when you first do this, it will feel pretty extreme and you might drop kick the ball and/or miss it well off the toe. But it will certainly keep you better connected on the downswing.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Thanks for the reply Trevor. Im heading to the range today and will give this a try.

Solid advice right there kmac. Based on some of the videos you've shown me I think that separation is a problem for you. Good luck with it broski.

I need to try this too, I felt fine til saturday afternoon, felt like I was catching everything real thin on the inside and I was hitting weak tee balls with almost a slicing motion

I tend to do the same thing off the tee, I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks for asking about this Kmac.

Kmac, was the Juice the Pea drill successful for you? Reviving an old thread, but was going to give it a go next range session since I have this problem as well hitting the heel.

I like that drill....when I get tired this is my miss with my driver...I will have to give it a try

Thanks for bumping this, Id been hitting the driver a lot better up till this last weekend. I think I need to start doing this drill again.

Thanks for bumping this, Id been hitting the driver a lot better up till this last weekend. I think I need to start doing this drill again.

No problem, sounds like the drill is beneficial. Going to try it in the next few days.

Glad this was bumped as I am having this same problem. I'll have to try this!

Wow that is some solid advice, thanks for bumping

I do this all the time and I still miss on the heel most of the time.

its back again for me too, gotta give this a shot at the range to see if it helps. I was just getting further away from the ball at address, but now im "reaching" for the ball and end up off balance

I'm missing on the heel a bunch, too. The drill hasn't really helped. Not sure what I'm doing but I hate it!

Back