Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The SMS Wedges from Edel have proven to be not just an interesting innovation, but a revelation in wedge fitting and performance. When the notion was presented that movable weights in wedges could make the kind of impact which Edel was claiming, many scoffed, but not for long.

The Swing Match System (SMS) means the ability to fine tune the weighting of a club to the individuals swing rather than the swing to the club, and combined with traditional shaft, loft, and lie fitting it has proven a new level of performance potential. Edel has been riding that wave by adding irons since the introduction of the wedges, but they aren’t entirely done with the wedges yet as today they are introducing a new grind, the P-Grind.

Continue reading...

Seems like a great option to add to there wedge grinds, and allows them to have a grind lineup comparable to most.

Very interesting. Less bounce is for the hard surfaces, right? So these are going to be greenside bunkers and such (I mean if they only come in 58/60 it's not like they can go far). Adding a new grind option is great.

Looks like this release from Edel is going to put some options on the players side of the table.

Very interesting. Less bounce is for the hard surfaces, right? So these are going to be greenside bunkers and such (I mean if they only come in 58/60 it's not like they can go far). Adding a new grind option is great.

Looks like this release from Edel is going to put some options on the players side of the table.
No sir. Wider soles and in some ways bounce is your friend in bunkers.

No sir. Wider soles and in some ways bounce is your friend in bunkers.
So would this be a good option to use to replace my current lob wedge, which I never use and keep this in the bag just for bunkers?

Options are always a consumer win. I do prefer a little less bounce in the lob wedge spot.

So would this be a good option to use to replace my current lob wedge, which I never use and keep this in the bag just for bunkers?
Possibly. That is player dependent for sure.

Would definitely like to try out one of those in 58 degrees. It looks extremely verstatile and would be really fun to try out a lot of different chip / pitch shots with it.

I’m scared I’m going to be picking up wedges to match my irons now.

The wider sole is a great addition to the lineup.

Sweeet. Love the direction Edel went this year

I was pleased to see them adding to the grind options, imo, that only strengthens what the SMS are.

I was pleased to see them adding to the grind options, imo, that only strengthens what the SMS are.
Did you get to experience it in hand at all?

@JB asked about what wedge he should get a few weeks ago. He had some parameters that this wedge seems to fit perfectly.. maybe that question was prompted by this wedge.

@JB asked about what wedge he should get a few weeks ago. He had some parameters that this wedge seems to fit perfectly.. maybe that question was prompted by this wedge.
It really wasn't, but probably should have, as I have tried it a bit.
I have ordered one, so hopefully as they catch up on equipment orders, stuff ships before travel.

How much does the wide sole help protect digging?

How much does the wide sole help protect digging?
Generally speaking, quite a bit. Part of that will depend on leading edge of course, along with head manipulation by the player, but a wide sole can certainly help.

Nice write-up @Jman ! I’m gonna leave this one to a more capable ball striker than myself! Looks good though.

I’d like to try this in Arizona bunkers

I’m scared I’m going to be picking up wedges to match my irons now.
Do it. The wedges are truly incredible. Best wedges I've ever had and I've go through Cleveland, Vokey, Ping, Mizuno, and a few other off names.

Back