Electronics Pondering

Yeah I am jumping on by ordering the Apple 6. After my recent health scare, I think being able to track your heart rate might be worth it even if in a limited capacity.

I keep debating on jumping on the Apple watch train.
I had a Gen 1 Apple Watch and really liked it. The only thing I hated about it, and the reason I went to a Garmin watch, is that you have to charge it every day. I can get a week of 24/7 wear and three rounds of golf out of my Garmin watch without charging it, or two weeks of just daily 24/7 wear if I don't use the GPS for anything. Apple also lags behind on the fitness end of things - they don't have any useful way of tracking/comparing your workout stats over time, viewing cumulative stats, etc., and no cloud uploads/web presence for it - it's all in the watch/phone. Garmin Connect provides a lot more data and also offers web access. I also like using the hard buttons on the Garmin better than the touch screen on the Apple Watch - especially when my hands are wet/sweaty.

But with the Garmin, I do lose some of the everyday functionality/integration the Apple Watch offers - using Apple Pay, responding to texts, answering phone calls, using Apple Music, etc. Although I answered a call a time or two on my watch and felt like a tool while I was doing it. :LOL:

Make no mistake though, the AW is a very nice watch. It's well built (typical Apple), looks good and is very functional if you're already in the Apple ecosystem. If they could improve the battery life and the functionality of their fitness software, I'd jump back to them in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I keep debating on jumping on the Apple watch train.
I am considering buying the series 3 because it’s cheap, I can try it out and mostly to use with Arccos.

pondering this 75" LG from Costco for $850. Model number looks to be the Canadian version (?) And largely good, but limited, reviews..,
but the best buy/US version has great reviews.

Don't know if we should wait for black friday. If there will even be one, or get it now.. last years prices were slightly better than this current, but the models were meh
Check out Greentoe.com I have used them to purchase 2 TV’s I got a great deal both times. Name your price, no shipping fee or tax. Both were about 30% less than CostCo.

Have you noticed that the pace of this thread picks up as the golf season nears its close in the northern half of the country?

My wife has been doing a lot more listening of late to webinars and podcasts on her MacBook and iPhone. She asked about wireless earbuds the other day, so I think that's going to be her Christmas present. She's quite petite, so something that will fit in to a small ear is a must, and she's not generally a fan of over-the-ear hangers. She might use them when walking.

So those of you who have lived with your earbuds for a while, what is your current thinking? I would not go wrong (in her view) selecting AirPod Pros for her, but any feedback from actual users would be much appreciated.

I'm considering a cordless (battery) snowblower. We normally have smaller snowfalls but I'm tired of shoveling and last time I tried to pay a neighbor kid I ended up feeling bad for him and shoveling half of my driveway anyway. Anyone have one they would recommend?

I think my 75" vizio might have crapped out, on the eve of march madness no less, ugh.

Are the QLEDs still king?
Other options?
75 was kinda the limit of size vs cost last time I was looking 3.5 years ago, still the same?

one of my monitors for the work PC setup died this week, and I've been limping along. Probably going to be replacing on my own dime.

Debating what to get... I've been a pretty loyal ASUS guy when it comes to monitors, but have had good luck with Samsung and Dell. Also pondering a curved monitor as it's a part of a two monitor setup and off to the side a bit.

What say you?

I have two Samsung 24" tv's for monitors, they both have HDMI and work well with my Mac Mini hard drive. Actually got them in a Black Friday buy from Costco a few years ago as tv's to put in the 2 spare bedrooms for guests. One of them is now my office and the other is the bestest half yoga and meditation room

one of my monitors for the work PC setup died this week, and I've been limping along. Probably going to be replacing on my own dime.

Debating what to get... I've been a pretty loyal ASUS guy when it comes to monitors, but have had good luck with Samsung and Dell. Also pondering a curved monitor as it's a part of a two monitor setup and off to the side a bit.

What say you?
We had a curved at our condo and it works well. I have it sitting in my closet and will be setting it up for the Tech Studio monitor here shortly.

We had a curved at our condo and it works well. I have it sitting in my closet and will be setting it up for the Tech Studio monitor here shortly.
Finally getting the dual monitor setup on the Tech Studio beast!! YASS!

I can't quibble with your choices, but of those three, I think a higher-end Dell offers the best image.

In the cube at work, I have a company-issued Samsung and an ancient personal Acer. The Samsung is much better of the two, but not as good as a comparable Dell, or the HP and Viewsonic monitors I use at home. The HP and Viewsonic are higher end. I expected to use them a lot and own them for a long time, both of which have proven to be true.

It really depends on what you're using them for. I intend to do a fair amount of media editing at home, so that drove the selection of those two monitors. The Viewsonic has slightly higher resolution, which means I generally use the HP more for text editing, because the text appears slightly larger. If crisp text is your primary consideration, that could mean a different monitor and [potentially lower] price point. I've found I get good guidance from sites like Tom's Guide or PCMag.com. Quality can vary widely from low to high end within a manufacturer's lines.

I can't quibble with your choices, but of those three, I think a higher-end Dell offers the best image.

In the cube at work, I have a company-issued Samsung and an ancient personal Acer. The Samsung is much better of the two, but not as good as a comparable Dell, or the HP and Viewsonic monitors I use at home. The HP and Viewsonic are higher end. I expected to use them a lot and own them for a long time, both of which have proven to be true.

It really depends on what you're using them for. I intend to do a fair amount of media editing at home, so that drove the selection of those two monitors. The Viewsonic has slightly higher resolution, which means I generally use the HP more for text editing, because the text appears slightly larger. If crisp text is your primary consideration, that could mean a different monitor and [potentially lower] price point. I've found I get good guidance from sites like Tom's Guide or PCMag.com. Quality can vary widely from low to high end within a manufacturer's lines.
Won't be anything special. Probably in the 24 inch range and used for standard work computing (emails, excel, access, etc).

Won't be anything special. Probably in the 24 inch range and used for standard work computing (emails, excel, access, etc).
Don’t make the same mistake I did. Just do it.

1629899166015.jpeg

Based on this, you may want to check out the HP 24mhg at $135.

I sit at an L shape desk with four monitors. I could probably add a fifth but that's just getting reckless.
Maybe it’s time to go 4x2?

Based on this, you may want to check out the HP 24mhg at $135.

193 instead of 135 on Amazon. Oof.

I'm looking at a Curved HP X24c right now. 160 at Microcenter.

1629900505336.png

1629900917933.png

Back