Electronics Pondering

Just got a new TV for the living room, going 4k finally, also let’s our current one be mounted in the garage for me to watch, and hook the sim up to since I’ve no room for a projector.

So, THP, we want a TV for the patio, do I need to get a special TV?
As answered, no. New ones are so cheap that replacing is, if necessary, is very affordable. I'm currently in the market for a 55" for my patio. The one if have there now has developed moons, but did so while it was inside. It being outside hasn't made it worse, I just don't want those moons. I also bought a cover for it from amazon, maybe $20. It's also mounted in a place on the patio when with won't get direct sunlight nor rain.

yup that's what my old one is. a 42inch. Now that's moved to the basement, just need something for the main living room.
we got rid of both of our sweet 2009 50" Zenith plasmas for a 65" TCL in the living room and a 75" TCL with soundbar in family room. I think our soundbar is a Yamaha. The old plasmas still worked fine, but when your empty nesters sometimes you just need to buy something

So, THP, we want a TV for the patio, do I need to get a special TV?
I have an old Samsung 50" tv that we found in the trash in South Boston while moving our daughter in her new apartment. This TV has been outside for the past 6 years without issue. We have a canvas cover for it, and it does sit under an overhang and we take it in during the winter as I do not know what zero degree weather will due to a tv. But it is awesome to have outside around the pool. We watch golf, football, and sometime great movies like pictured below. So just get the cheapest TV possible and if it breaks buy another, no sense in spending a thousand $+ on an "outdoor" TV
tv.jpg

Anyone have any experience with The Frame TV’s?

Anyone have any experience with The Frame TV’s?
They have a different type of mount system so you need to be pretty accurate with your measurements of where you want it to hang. There are no leveling adjustments. Will level to the mount with gravity, kinda like a picture frame🙃. The mount system comes in two pieces so a 4' level is a good have.

The proprietary connection has a limited length to the control box so make sure its long enough to get to where you want to go. This cord also provides the power, so you don't need an outlet behind the TV.

It has a large end so retro has to be in an open space, won't go through small tube. Will need at least a 3" retro smurf if no open retro space is there. Going directly below the TV in stud bay is fine, justbuse single gang retro rings and get a split cover plate.

They look awesome when finished though!

EDIT:
With the design of this TV, I suggest taping out the measurements at the desired location.

Have actually had someone order the 55" and it was too small for the area. Ended up ordering the 65".

Last edited:
So I’m trying to factory reset my MacBook Air, I deleted the “Macintosh HD” and am trying to reinstall the OS, but it keeps saying “the installer information on the recovery server is damaged”.

it originally came with OS Sierra, apparently sierra is too old to install now. I’m at a loss, anyone have any clue?

So I’m trying to factory reset my MacBook Air, I deleted the “Macintosh HD” and am trying to reinstall the OS, but it keeps saying “the installer information on the recovery server is damaged”.

it originally came with OS Sierra, apparently sierra is too old to install now. I’m at a loss, anyone have any clue?
Do you have a backup in which you could bring back and try again?

Do you have a backup in which you could bring back and try again?
No, it’s a few years old and hasn’t been used for a while. So I just wanted to wipe it clean for my daughter to be able to use for school. Figured factory reset would be easy enough?

Got it figured out. That was a pain in the butt.

A week or so back I preordered the galaxy s24s for me and the wife (ultra for me, + for the wife) through att.

Yesterday I stumbled upon Costco doing a promo, for each line upgraded or moved you get a $100 Costco card, $50 bill credit, and waived activation fee ($35).

So our free upgrades went from $225 out of pocket (taxes + activation) to basically making $218 ($370 in credits - $152 for the taxes paid)

I think the math is right, it makes sense in my head so I'm going to get myself a bottle of bourbon to celebrate 😂

My Sony Soundbar finally died, 16 years it lasted.

Now time to figure out what to replace it with. I've had Sonos speakers in the past (never for TV) and the Beam and others look nice, but, expensive.

Any recommendations from THPers?

Now time to figure out what to replace it with. I've had Sonos speakers in the past (never for TV) and the Beam and others look nice, but, expensive.

Ray from Sonos is cheaper than Beam

A couple of years ago I purchased a Klipsch sound bar with Bluetooth subwoofer for the TV, love it. Especially as it was on sale.

Yeah, but the Beam seems to offer so much more for a soundbar.

The Bose 600 is a bit cheaper than BEAM , might also be worth a look

@War Eagle I'm digging the Samsung 3.1.2 I got from Costco for 250.. then on reddit I was seeing sales for I think 7.1.2 for $600-700

@War Eagle I'm digging the Samsung 3.1.2 I got from Costco for 250.. then on reddit I was seeing sales for I think 7.1.2 for $600-700
Doh. Didnt even think to check Costco!

Depends on how much of an audio geek you are, what you are hooking it up to, and the size, and purpose of the room. For example, I've got a live theater set up downstairs that will blow you away. Have a Samsung Q80 flatscreen for more casual watching in the living room. My choices for sound were very different for these two.

Back