Favorite Masters Moment

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in 2005 when the Tiger chip in happened. They had the Masters on most of the televisions and when his chipped came to a stop the wold place died down, but when it rolled in, it was mayhem. I wasn't a golf fan back then, but that was pretty exciting to witness.

Favorite Masters Moment

First time I was at the Masters in 09 when Cabrera won.

What I remember most though was my first special Masters moment in person. Vijay skipping a ball across the pond on 16 to a hole in one. I was standing close by and every one went crazy even though it was Tuesday.

I found it on YouTube.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzX62nXPTo

I recall many moments, but phil in '10, tigers 16th chip, bubba from the woods, and scott/cabrerra playoff, those are just some of my favs.

I'm torn between Tiger's chip, Phil from the pine straw & Bubba from the trees. All three just makes watching each year a must hoping you see another shot like those.

Man, I hope we get a good one this year. Last year was a big letdown. Not just that Bubba won, but because there was no drama to speak of.
The front 9 made me think it might be a great finish, then it wasn't.

This:

Started to really get into golf around this time, my roommate was on the golf team, had my set of TM200s. After this tournament I've watched the Master's every year since. Now I'm a golf junkie.

Best shot I ever saw considering the circumstances!!!

Larry Mize's chip shot in 1987.

I was playing golf with my best friend (we were young, prone to being irresponsible and true hackers) and another friend, who was on our College's golf team. The two derelict hackers went to the bathroom at the clubhouse at the turn. We got caught up in the telecast and ended up watching Mize play that hole. We yelled and screamed and high fived when he made that chip. We walked back out to continue our round only to find that our 3rd friend had tired of waiting and continued playing on his own. We walked the course to catch up to him and tried to explain the incredible shot by Mize that delayed us, but he was so mad he didn't care. We didn't care that he was still mad - the shot and that moment was that incredible.

I didn't watch much golf growing so I'm going with Tigers chip and I really loved watching Shrek and Bubba duel down the stretch and in the playoff. Unfortunate who won but I enjoyed the show.

I'm torn between Tiger's chip, Phil from the pine straw & Bubba from the trees. All three just makes watching each year a must hoping you see another shot like those.

Those are three Masters' moments I remember the most.

I got to go to the Masters for the first time in 2001. I had been living and working in Augusta for about 10 months, and my plant sent an email around for a drawing for one of two Monday practice round tickets. I won one of them, and figured it was very likely the one day I was ever going to spend on the hallowed grounds. I was there at the back gate (that you can't get to anymore) when they opened the grounds, and as I wondered around that day it was like my eyes were seeing colors that they never knew had existed. By mid afternoon, I had walked the course over probably twice, had eaten 3-4 chicken sandwiches, dropped $300-$400 in the gift shop, and was just emotionally and physically spent. I left hoping I would be back someday, but thankful that I had gotten this opportunity.

I got home, and that same evening my dad called and told me he had been offered tickets for Friday if I wanted to go back. Getting to see it through his eyes was just as special, and we spent a great day following Jack/Arnie/Gary as they were paired together.

I got to go back maybe two or three more times, taking my brother once and my wife once...it is special every single time. It's probably been 11 years now since I got to go, and I can't wait to take my sons for their first time in a couple of years.

A few stick out to me. Tiger's chip in 2005 is one of them, mainly because my friends and I had just got home from a round and put it on, just in time to see it happen live. I remember having no doubt whatsoever that it was going; it was Tiger in his heyday and that's just what happened back then. Phil's shot from the pine straws was another incredible shot. The Cabrera/Scott drama was one of my favorites; I specifically remember on Cabrera's second shot at 18, he had to shush the crowd and I thought that might have rattled him too much to execute a great shot, but his approach was perfect. His grace and sportsmanship when Scott won was pretty special as well.

Also, I remember Schwartzel's victory pretty well, mainly because Rory's collapse let so many guys in contention down the stretch. But Charl kept making putts and that turned out to be the difference. But still, it was at least a few hours of mesmerizing golf, as different players came in and out of contention.

I have to give two:

The 1975 Masters with Johnny Miller, Weiskopf & Nicklaus battling it out on Sunday was the one that galvanized me first and from that point on I loved watching golf on TV, especially the Masters.

My absolute #1 Masters moment though was Nicklaus lighting up the back 9 to win in '86 - still get chills today when I watch highlights!

For me it was the 1997 Masters with Tiger's complete dominance. It's what first peaked my interest for golf as I had always played baseball up til that point.

Bubba's first Master's win with that crazy shot out of the trees is right up there though, along with the 2005 Masters and Tiger's chip shot on 16.

For me, each Masters, it is the opening drives by the Big Three. Not only does it recognize the contributions of these gentlemen, not only does it start the tournament, it, likewise, starts my new golf season. Over the past four months, my buds and I were constantly checking the weather forecasts, hoping to get a round in. While we got a round in each month, this year is was particularly difficult. With the first shot of the Masters, we know that a new season with renewed hope has started. Now only rain can dampen our ability to play. Its Masters week, let the games begin again.

But if talking tournament specific, it would be Phil's first win, it got the monkey off his back.

Last edited:
Phil's back nine in 2004 for me. Watching Mickelson shoot a 31 and capping it with the putt at 18 was insane. I will always remember watching that tournament.

This for me.

I love the Masters and the 2 things that stand out for me are Tiger's chip in 2005 and Bubba's shot out of the woods. Both were such clutch and amazing shots. Just went to youtube to watch both again and saw the Sports Science video of Bubba's shot that I dont remember seeing.

[video=youtube;W00lrCnG-B8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00lrCnG-B8[/video]

2011 is the most memorable for me, as I was invited to attend the Masters. On Saturday, we walked the grounds all day getting the lay of the land and following our favorite players for a few holes at a time. On Sunday we got seats on 16 where you could see the second shot into 15 green and tee shots on #6 and #16. It was amazing. And seeing Charl Schwartzel make 4 consecutive birdies to win was awesome.

Easily Jack's 6 birdies and an eagle in the last 10 holes for his 6th green jacket. I remember each shot, especially him almost holing it on 16 and the crowd going crazy. I was 21 and totally obsessed with golf and had driven home from college to watch it with my dad. The fact that he had to come from behind at age 46 to beat Watson, Seve, Norman, and Kite made it all the more impressive!

Phil off the pine straw, I remember watching it happen live.

Lefty from the pinestraw , Tiger in '99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have 1 or 2 favorite moments. I love the fact that each year there is the defining moment or shot that makes that particular year great. For example:
Tiger's Chip shot
Phil's 6 iron
Jack's putt on #17 on Sunday
Charl's birdie run to the house (who does that in majors)
Couple's shot staying up on #12 Sunday

And lots more that we all now.

So so many for me. But when you say Masters, it's always 1986 Jack that jumps into my mind - it was the first time I was old enough to see him (or that I remember anyways) win a major, though I would have been at least cognizant of his 1980 PGA.

Bubba, Tiger, Phil as noted. Not much of an AS fan, the broom just turns me off despite the otherwise excellent game he has.

How about Oosthuizen's double eagle?

Nicklaus's back 9 in 1986 - I had chills man! I went to the tournament in the early 2000's; you just can't appreciate the awesomeness until you see it in person.

I agree on jack in 86 and for me Phil's first.

I would definitely say Louis' double eagle. Took my mom out to lunch at a sports place, lots of random high fives with strangers after that bomb dropped. I wanted him to win it so that shot could be part of his legendary victory. Still amazing.

Favorite was my first year of attending…1992 and Freddie.s ball hanging up on 12 and him being Fred fishing around in the water after the close chip. Jack's last win and the 75 win when he drained the long putt on 16 have to be up there.

Back