Favorite Masters Moment

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
We are a week away from arguably the best and most anticipated Tournament on the PGA Tour. Is has history, good and bad. It has drama, good and bad. But most of all it creates memories for everyinr, ok most everyone, that watches. Share with us your favorite Masters memory. Was it Bubba's 'right turn clyde' from the right trees? Was it Jack's winning putt in his final win? Maybe it the Norman collapse or the TW chip in at 16, where the world saw his logo and the worst high five known to man. What ever it was, we would like to know.

For me is was in 1996. The year I first set foot on the grounds of Augusta National. It was a golf weekend with my dad and some business partners of his. We watched Wednesday practice rounds, par 3 and Thursday opening round.

I was two years a pro and was floored by how pristine Augusta National was. I mean not a pine needle out of place. The gear in stores was cheap by my standards, cost wise not in quality. And the course was huge.

We walked on the grounds and I just soaked it all in. on Wednesday follow Seve at the time he was on the downward slide in his career and couldn't even hit the rough free fairways of Augusta. On ten he hit right into the trees. His next shot showed me how great of gamer he still was. He carves this low hooded, cut 2 iron that seems to be missing the 10th green. It shot out and seemed to go full flaps just short of the hit and gingerly rolled on to the surface. He swagger down the fairway, I say ' Great shot' he says 'is ok' and a huge smile. Made my week!

My favorite moment(s) were watching ZJ win while not going for any of the par 5s in two. Loved watching a short knocker work his way around the course and hold off Tiger to win the tourney.

Favorite was probably Jacks last win. Was glued to the TV. Most sentimental for me was getting there in 2003 and standing on 17 by the green as Arnie strolls over after putting. Stood right next to me. Weir won that year. What an amazing place.

JM

The 2005 Masters.

It was the first tournament my dad watched, an it is what got him hooked. He doesn't play but loves watching the majors every year. I specifically remember the Tiger chip and how much me and my dad yelled when it went in.

2005 Masters.

Golf started to catch my eye around that time, though it wasn't until 2008 that I started really following and I remember seeing highlights of the playoff the next morning on Sports Centre. It basically started my interest in, not only golf, but the Masters.

I think of The Masters, and I think of my dad. A single memory doesn't come to mind immediately, just years of growing up watching the tournament on TV with him. It was our family tradition to watch it together. I saw several of Jack's wins as a kid. Spring 1986 was my first year of college, and I didn't get to watch the tourney with Dad, but I still remember his excitement over Jack's win when we talked that evening.

My dad passed in '89 and never made it out to Augusta himself. I made it to the Tourney for the first time on Sunday in 1995. I drove over early and arrived before the gates opened. Thought of my Dad so much that day and how much he would have enjoyed the grounds. I saw this young kid in a Stanford hat play the 2nd hole. Huge drive. Tiger's first Sunday at Augusta. I watched Norman and DL3 play all through the back nine. Both threatening to overtake Crenshaw. I was certain one of them was going to win. But old Ben had some help from above from Harvey and got his 2nd jacket.

I made it our family tradition to watch The Masters together as well. We did so each year as they grew up. I was able to take them to see the course separately, on final rounds. Son and I were there when Bubba won his first. Daughter and I were there when Adam Scott won. This edition will be the first I won't be watching with my kids. Both are in college now. Proud of passing on a love for this event though. My son and some friends reserved a lecture hall last year and used the a/v system to watch Augusta on the giant screen. They are planning to do the same again this year.

So many great memories tied to this event. For sure my favorite tournament each year.

Despite entering the ticket lottery every year, I have never been selected, and never been to Augusta. There are so many great moments. For me, I think Tiger blowing away the field in 1997 was my favorite moment. It sounded the horn for a new era in golf, and was unlike anything I had ever seen before. People who knew nothing about golf were suddenly captivated by what this young kid was able to do.

Nicklaus's back 9 in 1986 - I had chills man! I went to the tournament in the early 2000's; you just can't appreciate the awesomeness until you see it in person.

I think for me it is is a tie between the 86 Masters when the old Bear roared once again to win his 6th green jacket and the 1st time I stepped on the grounds in 1990. I'd had never seen a a course so beautiful. The way the grass felt, the way the colors popped and the towering pine trees made for such an incredible memory. I love the Masters!!!

This:

Started to really get into golf around this time, my roommate was on the golf team, had my set of TM200s. After this tournament I've watched the Master's every year since. Now I'm a golf junkie.

Tiger's chip in '05. That Scott/Cabrera 18th hole a couple of years ago was pretty special, too.

Two moments stand out to me. The first was 2005 playing in a college golf tournament and finishing our practice round in time to watch Tiger and Dimarco battle it out through Amen Corner. I remember that chip shot on 16 like it was yesterday as 50 or so college kids were going crazy in a fancy clubhouse where some members had invited us to join them.

My second would be my first trip to Augusta National in 2012. It was a practice round on a Tuesday and it was more than I could ever imagine. Freddie is right when he says not one piece of grass is out of place on that property. I remember my first Pimento Cheese sandwich and Domestic Beer while watching tee shots hit the green on #6. I remember giving Rickie a high five on #4 and talking with Jason Sobel and Rick Riley who let us walk with them through Amen Corner. It was truly a day that I can vividly remember like yesterday and something that everyone has to experience at least once

my most vivid and best moment would probably the one and only time i've been. it was 2012. being a cpa, the masters is always during arguably my worst work-week of the whole year. but i worked my tail off to make it happen that year. a buddy of mine owns a company and one of his employees was an augusta native, and offered his tickets to my friend. we drove up on a monday, spent the night about 45 min out of town (and still paid an arm and a leg for the room!), then woke up early to go. we spent all day walking the course, taking pics behind every feasible tee box, watching guys hit shots. the day was more about the course than it was watching any particular player. i gained an appreciation for the physical and mental stamina you need to walk that course and stay on top of your game, where trouble presents itself in every shot and you're hot and tired as it is. what an absolute stars-aligning, one-in-a-million golf course the national is. and they make a helluva pimento cheese sandwich!

my favorite tv moment is either phil's win in 2004 when he proved that white men really can't jump, or maybe even 2010 when he hit that shot through the trees on 13. quintessential phil! 2005 was dramatic, glued-to-the-tv stuff, but i was rooting so hard for chris dimarco that it taints it just enough to be squeezed out of my favorite moments.

For me it has to be Phil's 2010 victory.

I love the Masters and the 2 things that stand out for me are Tiger's chip in 2005 and Bubba's shot out of the woods. Both were such clutch and amazing shots. Just went to youtube to watch both again and saw the Sports Science video of Bubba's shot that I dont remember seeing.

[video=youtube;W00lrCnG-B8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00lrCnG-B8[/video]

Bubba shot would have to be it for me too, if we are just talking about a single moment. Favorite memory would be the practice round I attended with my dad.

First for me was when Crenshaw sank his putt on 18, with Penick looking down on him from the heavens, and he bent over in joyful tears. His caddie came over and have him a huge hug... Great moment.

My second would be watching Mickelson smile his whole way around the course on Sunday, enjoying all of the moments, then seeing him "sky" when he jumped in the air after he had won. I just loved how he looked like he was having fun all day!

Great thread Freddie! There are SO many amazing Master's moments that stand out to me, 1992 when I was a senior in high school playing on the golf team and loving Freddie Couples, seeing him win that year was probably the first year it really "GOT" me. Then to get a chance to go in 1993 was pretty amazing too.

All that being said, my favorite Masters moment was when Phil Mickelson made that putt on 18 to win the 04 Masters. After seeing him come SO close in so many majors to finally get that putt to drop and his reaction was literally Masters GOLD! I have goosebumps just typing this out remembering how awesome that was to see. MAN there are so many though, I'm sitting here with 5 or 6 more at memories that could easily go down as my favorite but that 04 Masters was special....I'll never forget that one!

[video=youtube;-q4Qhcaulyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4Qhcaulyc[/video]

Last edited:
One of the first shots that comes to my mind is Phil's shot at 13 from the pine needles through the trees. Tell me, who in their right mind even tries that shot? And, of course, Tiger's chip in at 16! Each shot sends chills down my spine!

Hard to argue with any of the choices so far. My favorite was probably Ben Crenshaw winning in 1995 a few days after burying his coach & mentor Harvey Penick. I had just finished reading Penick's Little Green Book & seen the video of the same, & thought what a great guy & true gentleman Penick was. Ben definitely had help from above on that win.

Tigers Chip in 2005 - so amazing/memorable.

Also Bubbas shot out of the woods.....I was stuck in traffic streaming it too my phone and couldn't believe it!

Adam Scott making those two putts was pretty cool too.

Adam Scott making those two putts was pretty cool too.
YES! When he made that one on 18 thinking he may have just won was EPIC! Then to regain his composure and do it again in a playoff. WOW!

YES! When he made that one on 18 thinking he may have just won was EPIC! Then to regain his composure and do it again in a playoff. WOW!

Man, I hope we get a good one this year. Last year was a big letdown. Not just that Bubba won, but because there was no drama to speak of.

Watching Phil hit out of the pine straw on the 13th hole from under the trees setting up his eagle attempt on his way to winning that year.

OR

Watching Adam Scott sink the putt on 18 to get into the playoff.

I got to see both of those events live and in person and won't ever forget either one of them.

Back