First Look: Ben Hogan UiHi Utility Club

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Will be a new thread in a few days for a formal review. Imma leave you hanging until then....

Maybe. ;)

I am awaiting mine to arrive NOW......still waiting for that Shipped email

Really looking forward to what you think!
Me too! Nothing yet, ordered on 5/9 and not a whisper of a possible ship date yet. I'm sure it was a pretty popular item and I'm sure most of us customized it to our specs....

Me too! Nothing yet, ordered on 5/9 and not a whisper of a possible ship date yet. I'm sure it was a pretty popular item and I'm sure most of us customized it to our specs....
Site yesterday said 25 days, I got mine on Tuesday when it was still 29 days.

My home course is seaside golf, and I’ve been thinking about a utility iron for some of those tee shots. With the code, I decided to take a punt. 18 degree UiHi with the 760 recoil shaft to match my irons. I’m hoping this will be a nice addition to my arsenal.

Hey @Jman, you got any more of that UiHi reviews?!

I ordered mine 24th of May......( insert crickets here)

I ordered mine 24th of May......( insert crickets here)
You’ve got a while to wait. I ordered the 5th of May and received this Tuesday.

You’ve got a while to wait. I ordered the 5th of May and received this Tuesday.

I guess I shouldn't have sent you one for review : )

I ordered 5/5 and just got a shipping notice this AM, probably late next week delivery.

Well hello there my fine THP'ers who like club talk. I know my guy @J.B. Cobb III is ready for this one, so I need to get after it, eh? Hahaha

I'm going to use this thread instead of a new one, so for those curious about the club release, please check it out in the original post.

Now, to what I currently have in hand, and what I will have in hand come Monday.

As for what is here? This, which if you have seen the Player's Combo thread then you know, a 4 UiHi that is 22° and paired with the Recoil 780 SmacWrap in F4. Standard length. When checked on my Mitchell L&L machine, the loft same in a little strong, but nothing to write home about.

Some images first, and I'll update next week with some pics on the photo table.

DSC01425-XL.jpg

DSC01427-XL.jpg

DSC01428-XL.jpg

DSC01429-XL.jpg

DSC01430-XL.jpg

Well hello there my fine THP'ers who like club talk. I know my guy @J.B. Cobb III is ready for this one, so I need to get after it, eh? Hahaha

I'm going to use this thread instead of a new one, so for those curious about the club release, please check it out in the original post.

Now, to what I currently have in hand, and what I will have in hand come Monday.

As for what is here? This, which if you have seen the Player's Combo thread then you know, a 4 UiHi that is 22° and paired with the Recoil 780 SmacWrap in F4. Standard length. When checked on my Mitchell L&L machine, the loft same in a little strong, but nothing to write home about.

Some images first, and I'll update next week with some pics on the photo table.

DSC01425-XL.jpg

DSC01427-XL.jpg

DSC01428-XL.jpg

DSC01429-XL.jpg

DSC01430-XL.jpg

So very interested in this one. I ordered mine in the 18deg with the same shaft option as you received

Now, performance?

Well, its a bit of a interesting thing for me. LOTS of positives, and really just one quasi-negative. But we will get to that.

I've got FOUR rounds on the 22° since getting it Tuesday night, and a lot of swings, so shall we?

1) The look. THE LOOK IS FANTASTIC. Not a ton of junk in the trunk at setup, a look that blends with the rest of the set, and a general address look that is balanced an not cumbersome. This is in no way shape or form a clunker, and even the most discerning eyes will be at ease setting this one up. I'm super taken aback by how significant the cavity on the rear is though, and not in a negative light, its made for some clever weight manipulation and placement imo.

2) FEEL FOR DAYS boys! FEEL FOR DAYS! Impact with this one is giggle inducing for me, I blocked the HECK out of my first swing and it STILL induced an "oh wow" from me. I have hit a lot of utilities, its a bit of an addiction for me, and the closest comparison that I can give you all is the Srixon U85, and that is a BIG compliment. No click, no clack, no harsh, no odd, no off-putting, just plush.

3) Ball flight is really easy for me, and I'm not the highest ball hitter, however I'm not as low ball as some on here like to believe, no LM time yet but this one is peaking around 31-32 yards for me I would guess. Bigger piece of that, the sole design on this one makes it even more playable, Its got some get up and go.

4) Distance I can't give you any specific numbers on, but I have rifled it into a few greens from 220 ish with no issues. Will get some GC2 numbers this week, I do know that it slots right under the PTx Pro 5i very well.

5) My onnnnnnly nitpick isnt the club at all, its the fit. I didn't want to put steel in the 4U so my flex options were limited. I have a hard time finding the face in the swing with the 780 as its never been a great design for my personal swing. Easy fix with time, but for now, I'm going to rock this one and get you all some data soon.

If you have Q's, ask, please, jump in and lets make some legit golf gear talk! :cool:

Fantastic feedback @Jman, great to hear some initial impressions.

I'm pretty excited to get my 18* in hand, it should arrive Tuesday. I'm glad to hear that the back profile is demure, that is my one gripe with the Srixon's that while functional, the back is noticeable. Also stoked that this one has the V-sole as I'm interested to see how it compares...the Srixon is a wide sole and they chose to leave V-sole out. Feel on the Ptx Pro is quite nice and can't wait to hit the UiHi!

I too ordered the Recoil 780F4 as it is the closest match, however I have been pre-pondering replacements. As explained by Danny at the graphite challenge the SMACWrap tech is great for reducing vibration on off-center strikes, and as such the shaft is targeted toward golfer that needs help with that miss, i.e. lower-mid on up handicaps to generalize. That makes it a great choice as the stock offering in this club, where one graphite option needs to appeal to the widest range possible. If you have a higher swing speed and live closer to center, a golfer might benefit from something with a stronger profile like a Recoil 95 or 95 Proto, etc.

This discussion has me piqued to for next week, to say the least.

Thanks for the great info James. Been waiting to see some THP in hand feedback on these. 5 and possibly 4 (or VKTR+ 22) are definitely on my radar. The 780 ES SW F4 is a good fit for me so no worries there for me. Just want to demo both before deciding what combo would be best for my bag.

@Jman

Fantastic feedback. Hogan irons are near the top of my mind if I get another set of irons (damn rev33 and mim tour irons constantly saying buy me and p7tw saying me me me).

For the sole design it looks like there is vsole in Utility. Do you think that helps at this lower lofted club?

Does this club feel more like an extension of your irons or a hot flat faced hybrid?

Tee vs turf? While at 22* this should still be pretty manageable for both, do you think the 18* is going to be more of a tee only club.

Besides limited shaft/grip options, what is your biggest complaint?

Biggest surprise of the club? To me I'm shocked at how well it blends with the rest of the set right now. Maybe in hand I would notice more, but it really looks like this could be a great setup that gears short, mid, and long irons for perfection.

Hopefully my 22* shows up in the next 7-10 days. Also went with the Recoil 780F4.

Sounds promising to get a little more distance and flexibility out of the 4i spot.

Hopefully my 22* shows up in the next 7-10 days. Also went with the Recoil 780F4.

Sounds promising to get a little more distance and flexibility out of the 4i spot.
When did you order? It’s a 25 day window right now.

Now, performance?

Well, its a bit of a interesting thing for me. LOTS of positives, and really just one quasi-negative. But we will get to that.

I've got FOUR rounds on the 22° since getting it Tuesday night, and a lot of swings, so shall we?

1) The look. THE LOOK IS FANTASTIC. Not a ton of junk in the trunk at setup, a look that blends with the rest of the set, and a general address look that is balanced an not cumbersome. This is in no way shape or form a clunker, and even the most discerning eyes will be at ease setting this one up. I'm super taken aback by how significant the cavity on the rear is though, and not in a negative light, its made for some clever weight manipulation and placement imo.

2) FEEL FOR DAYS boys! FEEL FOR DAYS! Impact with this one is giggle inducing for me, I blocked the HECK out of my first swing and it STILL induced an "oh wow" from me. I have hit a lot of utilities, its a bit of an addiction for me, and the closest comparison that I can give you all is the Srixon U85, and that is a BIG compliment. No click, no clack, no harsh, no odd, no off-putting, just plush.

3) Ball flight is really easy for me, and I'm not the highest ball hitter, however I'm not as low ball as some on here like to believe, no LM time yet but this one is peaking around 31-32 yards for me I would guess. Bigger piece of that, the sole design on this one makes it even more playable, Its got some get up and go.

4) Distance I can't give you any specific numbers on, but I have rifled it into a few greens from 220 ish with no issues. Will get some GC2 numbers this week, I do know that it slots right under the PTx Pro 5i very well.

5) My onnnnnnly nitpick isnt the club at all, its the fit. I didn't want to put steel in the 4U so my flex options were limited. I have a hard time finding the face in the swing with the 780 as its never been a great design for my personal swing. Easy fix with time, but for now, I'm going to rock this one and get you all some data soon.

If you have Q's, ask, please, jump in and lets make some legit golf gear talk! :cool:
Bump for the morning crowd!

For some reason I missed this last night. I love how well those blends in with the rest of the set and it's really great to hear the feel is right up there with the rest of the set. I'm thinking at some point I need to order one of these to try out.

Back