Garsen Golf Grips Review

I think you were with us when we spoke to Bernie for a bit about these.
Right now they are tour only, but there is hope they come to market.

Looks they are being steered design wise to more of the StuperStroke look, flatter face/front and moving away from the Max look (Stenson grip). Is that a true conclusion? Either way, I'm with James, would love a Garsen w/ the Odyssey print.

Looks they are being steered design wise to more of the StuperStroke look, flatter face/front and moving away from the Max look (Stenson grip). Is that a true conclusion? Either way, I'm with James, would love a Garsen w/ the Odyssey print.

Have you ever played with any of the Garsen grip models ?

You must not have seen my 30+ posts in here already. :D

Yes, I've played the Max and Edge but not the Quad yet.

My guy Nate here is MR. Garsen grip on THP.

Nice!

810adcccb4c0e444ecb45cf9797aaad8.jpg

Those grips might could even help you......

You must not have seen my 30+ posts in here already. :D

Yes, I've played the Max and Edge but not the Quad yet.

I think the Edge and, or, the Max essentially requires the player to adopt a thumbs-to-the-side grip technique. For most players that is a major technique change. When you played the Max and the Edge did you become comfortable with the thumbs-to-the-side technique ?

I think the Edge and, or, the Max essentially requires the player to adopt a thumbs-to-the-side grip technique. For most players that is a major technique change. When you played the Max and the Edge did you become comfortable with the thumbs-to-the-side technique ?

I did. Felt very natural and I really liked it because it got my elbows tucked in closer to the body. When I struggled it was because my grip pressure was getting too tight and my right hand tried to get more involved because of it. But when loose and letting the blade rotate naturally it was a nice feeling. I've since changed my putting position but need to get these grips back out to see how I do with them again.

I did. Felt very natural and I really liked it because it got my elbows tucked in closer to the body. When I struggled it was because my grip pressure was getting too tight and my right hand tried to get more involved because of it. But when loose and letting the blade rotate naturally it was a nice feeling. I've since changed my putting position but need to get these grips back out to see how I do with them again.

I understand about applying too much grip pressure, and thanks for providing your experience with the thumbs-to-the-side technique.
Bernherd Garsen believes the Edge and Max positions the hands/wrists in a way that even when too much pressure is applied the putter face will remain relatively square. I think there is some truth to that, though using lighter grip pressure (for a putter or any golf club) is always a benefit because this allows the player to get the best sense/feel of the weight of the club head.
For my own game I am determined to give thumbs-to-the-side a good try. I've become comfortable with the grip technique, and during recent practice sessions I've been transitioning away from a shoulder powered stroke to a more (old style) wrist-hands powered stroke. For me shoulder powered stroke seems to promote too much overall body movement, which is not good for putting. I am hoping that wrist-hands powered stroke will make it easier for me to keep my lower body and torso relatively stable when putting.

The power of a THP thread.....just ordered 3 grips from the Garsen site, 2 Maxs and a Tour Quad. Ha!!

I understand about applying too much grip pressure, and thanks for providing your experience with the thumbs-to-the-side technique.
Bernherd Garsen believes the Edge and Max positions the hands/wrists in a way that even when too much pressure is applied the putter face will remain relatively square. I think there is some truth to that, though using lighter grip pressure (for a putter or any golf club) is always a benefit because this allows the player to get the best sense/feel of the weight of the club head.
For my own game I am determined to give thumbs-to-the-side a good try. I've become comfortable with the grip technique, and during recent practice sessions I've been transitioning away from a shoulder powered stroke to a more (old style) wrist-hands powered stroke. For me shoulder powered stroke seems to promote too much overall body movement, which is not good for putting. I am hoping that wrist-hands powered stroke will make it easier for me to keep my lower body and torso relatively stable when putting.

Interesting. I am trying to do the exact opposite! I was too much hands/wrist which was causing my right hand to take over and manipulate the stroke so moved to more silent hands and more shoulder rocking.

Interesting. I am trying to do the exact opposite! I was too much hands/wrist which was causing my right hand to take over and manipulate the stroke so moved to more silent hands and more shoulder rocking.

Smart man.

Are you sure your "right hand taking over" was actually the hands and, or, wrists at play ?
I mean sometimes we think it is wrists-hands, or in your case right hand only, but actually another part of the body (such as the shoulders) might be influencing the movement of the wrists-hands. For example, when I've used my shoulder powered putting stroke , on the down swing I have a tendency to let my right shoulder move forward (towards the ball). This right shoulder movement forward definitely then influence the movement of my arms-wrists-hands, and of course the putter head as well.
For those who can power the putting stroke with the shoulders, while keeping the shoulders moving square to the target line, that's great. But I think for me, and maybe others as well, keeping those shoulders moving square throughout the stroke may be very challenging. In this case powering the stroke with the wrists-hands, similar to what the old time players did 50 years ago, might be worth a try.

Are you sure your "right hand taking over" was actually the hands and, or, wrists at play ?
I mean sometimes we think it is wrists-hands, or in your case right hand only, but actually another part of the body (such as the shoulders) might be influencing the movement of the wrists-hands. For example, when I've used my shoulder powered putting stroke , on the down swing I have a tendency to let my right shoulder move forward (towards the ball). This right shoulder movement forward definitely then influence the movement of my arms-wrists-hands, and of course the putter head as well.
For those who can power the putting stroke with the shoulders, while keeping the shoulders moving square to the target line, that's great. But I think for me, and maybe others as well, keeping those shoulders moving square throughout the stroke may be very challenging. In this case powering the stroke with the wrists-hands, similar to what the old time players did 50 years ago, might be worth a try.

Yup, multiple lessons with a pro I trust and he confirmed what I already suspected. But good news is I'm on the right track!

Yup, multiple lessons with a pro I trust and he confirmed what I already suspected. But good news is I'm on the right track!

I think that Bernherd Garsen met some resistance when trying to get Tour players to adapt to his thumbs-to-the-side technique, but his newer models (the Ultimate and and Quad) give the Garsen company a more moderate-conventional shape that Tour players may be more willing to try and use.
Once you get your Quad installed I am interested to learn which grip technique you like for that grip. I've never held or tried a Quad myself.

Hummm, which one to start.

bf3e6eb0e6cf7948de3e8876b99668a7.jpg

If you want to use thumbs-to-the-side technique then either one of the MAX grips.
If you want to use a technique other than thumbs-to-the-side, I think that is the design idea for the QUAD.
A friend of mine who is a teaching pro just installed a couple of the 15" MAX grips. He installed one for wrist lock style putting. The other one he installed a longer length putter, and for that one he is using a Kuchar-arm-lock method. For both putters his grip technique is thumbs-to-the-side.

Yea, been playing around with the claw grip that I used a few years ago, so if I decide to keep going with that this spring I'll throw on the Quad Pro.

I had a couple of Garsen Grips. They are different and I see their utility and comfort. I wanted more of a flat grip on the sides and went to the Palmbird and a Gravity Grip (by Guerin Rife).

Just bought a Garsen Quad Tour Tapered to give a try on my Jailbird Mini S

Just bought a Garsen Quad Tour Tapered to give a try on my Jailbird Mini S

curious to hear your feedback. I put the Max and tour tapered on both putters at the same time... had them both removed within 2 weeks. Material was nice but hated the feel of the design on both

Back