Gary Player Son Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to zoom in to see the photo... and noticed Lee Elder's got PING on his bag. That's no big deal though. He's also got a chair behind him. And an oxygen generator right next to him. Did he play golf with that? Or did he just make the ceremonial tee shot? Asking because I don't know.

Then I see a sleeve of balls being held by Wayne... I think that's deliberate. The funny thing is Gary Player's bag is obscured behind him and his son.:LOL:

I had to zoom in to see the photo... and noticed Lee Elder's got PING on his bag. That's no big deal though. He's also got a chair behind him. And an oxygen generator right next to him. Did he play golf with that? Or did he just make the ceremonial tee shot? Asking because I don't know.

Then I see a sleeve of balls being held by Wayne... I think that's deliberate. The funny thing is Gary Player's bag is obscured behind him and his son.:LOL:

Lee Elder held a driver but did not make a swing.

I had the displeasure of meeting Wayne Player last October. I was playing an OnCore ball and wearing an OnCore cap at this charity scramble so he was tickled that I was reping the brand. And for disclosure I had done so on purpose. I knew that OnCore was a sponsor of the tournament and I wanted to give them a bit of a nod. Wayne came off as an arrogant douce canoe is the best way I can describe him. He was hocking biltong (a Southern African dried cured meat) that we called jerky. He kept repeating that it is biltong, not jerky. Then he wanted to give swing tips after I shanked my tee shot. I can totally see Wayne doing this without OnCore or Gary knowing he was doing it. I could also see Gary encouraging the product placement as well. Maybe not to the level that Wayne did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gary told Wayne to get the product seen at all times. Either way, Wayne just solidified that he is a jerk. Not biltong!!

His son did maneuver the bag into the opening between Player and Elder.

A mountain out of a mole hill is what I think. ANCG has given OnCore more press now then it had before by making a massive statement. I have a big suspicion that this is not a thing about marketing but more to do with optics of how it would be seen politically. With all the tension gong on in Georgia right now they are trying to get out in front of things before a accusation is made.

I'm surprised it took this long TBH.

A mountain out of a mole hill is what I think. ANCG has given OnCore more press now then it had before by making a massive statement. I have a big suspicion that this is not a thing about marketing but more to do with optics of how it would be seen politically. With all the tension gong on in Georgia right now they are trying to get out in front of things before a accusation is made.

I would argue this is nothing like a mountain out of a mole hill. More like appropriate consequences.

Being from South Africa, and with a reputation for global ambassadorship, you would hope both of the Player's had a little more sensitivity to the occasion, not to mention plain old fashioned respect for their friend Lee. If the only thing Wayne was thinking was how cool it would be for fans to see what golf ball Gary plays, that IS the problem.

I would like to see Gary replaced for next year.

Can't put my finger on it but there has always been something about Gary Player that has bothered me the wrong way. His sons didn't fall far from the tree.

Can't put my finger on it but there has always been something about Gary Player that has bothered me the wrong way. His sons didn't fall far from the tree.
He strikes me as the type of guy who would do a ceremonial tee shot at my muni if someone gave him a few bucks.

I also have a suspicion he demanded to be able to add the "..and the black knight" part to the World Golf Hall of Fame commercial or he wouldn't do it. No way he was going to mention The King and The Bear and not throw his name in there.

Here's my take. He knew exactly what he was doing. Don't try to steal a moment away from someone that deserves the moment and don't steal a moment away from someone when it's not your moment.

I don't like the argument about logos on hats and etc.

First, it was Lee Elder's moment, and who he agreed to wear was up to him and welcomed. Anyone else stealing that spotlight, ESPECIALLY when the camera was zoomed in exclusively on him, is scummy as hell.

First, it was Lee Elder's moment, and who he agreed to wear was up to him and welcomed. Anyone else stealing that spotlight, ESPECIALLY when the camera was zoomed in exclusively on him, is scummy as hell.
I could not agree with this more! Lee Elder deserved the moment/spotlight!

He has a history in this area as a grifter.

Gary’s family is pretty
I seem to have gone down a Gary Player worm hole. Had no idea. Ha-Ha

You know he truly has the small mans third fiddle disease it appears. Just a super try hard. There was the book by Billy Casper " the big three and me". But Billy in that 4th spot appears to have been way more comfortable in his own skin than Player ever was or has been. Dude is just always compensating for some reason. What that reason is, I have no clue. Does not appear that he really needed too.

I would argue this is nothing like a mountain out of a mole hill. More like appropriate consequences.

Being from South Africa, and with a reputation for global ambassadorship, you would hope both of the Player's had a little more sensitivity to the occasion, not to mention plain old fashioned respect for their friend Lee. If the only thing Wayne was thinking was how cool it would be for fans to see what golf ball Gary plays, that IS the problem.

It had nothing to do with Lee Elder or "his" moment. :rolleyes:

It was a lapse in judgement.

Regarding the Lee Elder moment, why did Augusta have to go there? Can't anything in this society NOT be about race anymore? Apparently not. We must all have it given to us in every way, going forward.

Thank you for proving my point about the worry of optics.

I will agree I would like to see all the old timers replaced with the tee shots. Jack to be included. Let's put the drive chip and putt winner and the female and male amateur winners to hit the tee shot but have the old timers there to support it. Or let them pick who and tell why. Golf is stuck in the past. Put the future up there to inspire others not focus on player from the past.

I will not agree he needs to replaced from this incident alone. I do not agree that you should be fired from your job the next time your kid gets in a fight or trouble at school. Do you? If the answer is no then we'll you should not call for his removal based on his kids stupid action.

Slimy... hope his payday from Oncore was enough.

I will agree I would like to see all the old timers replaced with the tee shots. Jack to be included. Let's put the drive chip and putt winner and the female and male amateur winners to hit the tee shot but have the old timers there to support it. Or let them pick who and tell why. Golf is stuck in the past. Put the future up there to inspire others not focus on player from the past.

I will not agree he needs to replaced from this incident alone. I do not agree that you should be fired from your job the next time your kid gets in a fight or trouble at school. Do you? If the answer is no then we'll you should not call for his removal based on his kids stupid action.
Why would the Drive Chip and Putt winners need to be put at the ceremonial tee shot? They already have massive coverage and the ability to experience a place I'll be lucky to even step foot on.

This is about celebrating our former greats and kicking off one of if not the greatest golf event that exists. Why should that change?

Interesting analogy. I guess the different would be, were you in the background of the fight holding up a sign that said "knockout by the 3rd round". If so, then I think the answer is maybe, dependent on career choice.

Nah, turn the page. Those guys have know each other for 45 years and the son couldn't even afford Lee the respect of his being honored as starter without interfering. Completely disrespectful, completely out of touch. That's enough for me.

Golf is stuck in the past. And the best way forward is to freshen things up. As much as its about tradition, keeping the same honorary starters till they are in the grave is a tradition that needs to go. I'd like to see a wider variety of starters - not the same guys for 10, 15, 20 years. Player's time has officially come and gone IMO. Nicklaus too. Give it to Crenshaw and Watson next year.

Happy to see Augusta do something about it. I think there's a pretty sizeable difference in holding up a bag and trying to clap with a product in your hand with the camera pointed at you. It just seemed like a classless move

It was a lapse in judgement.
I'm curious... Do you actually believe him when he says he "just thought it would be cool for people to see what ball Gary was playing"?

I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past.

I'm curious... Do you actually believe him when he says he "just thought it would be cool for people to see what ball Gary was playing"?

I don't buy that for even one half of one second, based on their connection to the company and checkered past.
then why do you think he did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back