Gas or Induction Cooktop

So I can stop hearing the complaining from my better half about it. Haha
Honestly I’m not really against induction. More used to gas and feel like I have a little more heat control(whether true or not).

That is a very valid reason haha.

This is all I read and I am loving it. :ROFLMAO:

I regretted it the minute I typed it. 😂

I've always had induction and prefer it.
My grandparents have gas and every time I cook there I struggle. Usually overcook food on gas.

I haven't cooked with induction, so I'm going to say gas without much knowledge of which I would prefer with more insight.

You can't get the cool flame that all chefs get with induction

Never done this and would panic if it ever happened 😬

We have LP currently, and I'm convinced it burns hotter than natural gas. I can use the smallest burner on the lowest setting with a diffuser plate and still can't simmer things.

100% for my wife. We just had to run a line for my wife to have gas. We have induction in our last house ans I was fine with it. If I had to chose though I would go gas as well. You feel more connected with what you are cooking with gas. If that makes any sense haha

IMO, in being a retired Chef, GAS is the way to go. Induction is very nice, and I have a separate side induction burner for help when my other 5 burners are being used. The main problem I feel in using induction burners is that; 1) most of US have been accustomed to either Gas/Electric Stoves. 2) Induction cooking creates a "faster cooking time" but also means "higher regulation of heat/induction". This means if you are/were accustomed to cooking in a Gas you can regulated the heat whereas Induction cooking allows you to set at temperature or just a Low/Med/High Setting with/without a timer and you could risk the chance of burning more however, the heating area on the cooking vessel is more consistent for heat exchange. On the flipside, Gas/Electric heating elements always have "hot spots" that could burn/schortch foods too.

Last edited:
Have and have had electric cooktops in our homes for years. Had an induction cooktop in Motorhome and loved it. Instant heat was so nice. If we replace cooktop in our current home I’ll be lobbying for induction.

Had gas for 15 years and now induction. Much prefer gas. Seems I can control the temps better when I can see the fire....maybe;)

but I prefer gas with our cast iron, even though you showed it's ok to use it that way

Really?? That's interesting. Not sure why I thought it didn't. I guess just be careful moving it around.
Yes but not really. I have 7? different cast iron's that I use (including one ceramic from lodge that's new from Christmas) and I've never had any issues on my electric top (which is similar to the top with regards to the moving around of induction)

I prefer gas having used all 3 but then again I just like a gas top and I'm fine with that. I have cooked on all 3 in the past 2 months and all the food was great and easy enough.

Used to be all about gas but I'd rock an induction right now. Only thing is the heat adjustment. Gas I feel I can control heat a lot better

I have always preferred gas, but have an electric stove now. I need to replace it but haven't really looked at induction units. Sounds like I need to.

I have had electric and gas
Never had induction. Pretty cool technology
I really prefer gas over electric due to the lag time and it seems to be weaker, and can be used in power outage
Can’t really say anything about induction. Seems promising though and would be open to trying it

I've only ever had electric. I'll stick with that I guess.🤷‍♂️ There's no possibility gas will be run in my neighborhood. I can't even get cable. I can get propane for my stove if I want to go that route. I don't. I don't want a tank in my yard.

Gas. The more BTU the better.

I feel like most people would prefer a gas range, and I am probably in the minority, but I much prefer an induction cooktop. I have had both, and have gas now, and I think induction is far and away better. What are your thoughts?
I definitely prefer gas. I hate the buildup that can show up on the stove around the burners but overall I prefer the utility.

Gas. My wife is the queen of the Cast Iron Mafia. She won't go back to electric.

I definitely prefer gas. I hate the buildup that can show up on the stove around the burners but overall I prefer the utility.
On induction? Honestly never seen that.

On induction? Honestly never seen that.
No, on gas. It can happen around the burners if oil or anything else gets close to the fire.

after fighting it for awhile. getting a set of quality pans has done a lot to speed up the cooking on gas.

I like our gas cooktop and wouldn’t trade it.

Folks building new homes in LA won’t have that option come the first of the year, they have banned them. Pretty sure Cali has the goal of banning all gas appliances by 2030. Think there is also a new electric code that goes into effect Jan 1 of 2023, that requires new builds to have electric panels with dedicated circuits to appliance locations.

We gonna need some of you in neighboring states to cut back your use please, so more juice can be sent into our already stressed grid. 🤞

@JB and @GolferGal .........just wait for the power outage. BTW WE still can cook with gas....how's that propane heating your food since electric IS OFF????? asking for friends...............:D

@JB and @GolferGal .........just wait for the power outage. BTW WE still can cook with gas....how's that propane heating your food since electric IS OFF????? asking for friends...............:D

I don’t get it. We have a gas grill, and black stone griddle that runs on propane, pretty sure we would still be able to cook if we went from gas to induction. In fact I know we can, we did it in our previous home.

I don’t get it. We have a gas grill, and black stone griddle that runs on propane, pretty sure we would still be able to cook if we went from gas to induction. In fact I know we can, we did it in our previous home.
didn't know that you have the other cooking surfaces the reply was for those who have just "electric or induction" surfaces. When we remodeled our kitchen I used our gas grill and microwave along with an induction burner to make meals.

Back