Gas or Induction Cooktop

I'd have thought there'd be some heat transfer or something. Hot pot touching the stove surface... something would get hot.

Today I learned!!!:D
When you first pull the pot off, it might be a bit hot, but it goes away in seconds and is just warm to the touch.

When you first pull the pot off, it might be a bit hot, but it goes away in seconds and is just warm to the touch.
Appreciate that. I wouldn't consider something like that before but now? Maybe I will. Thanks!

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I may buy one of those portable countertop induction hotplates to try before changing out my electric cook top. For grins, Google “dog burns house down gas stove”

Never had an issue with gas stoves and I've never used induction, but I would be intrigued to try it out before purchasing one if/when I needed to

Induction for me.

Had my first experience with induction over the break. It was quite an impressively powerful unit that does well for most tasks but is useless for others (like wok cooking or toasting things as others have pointed out).
What I absolutely detested on my brother's stove was the fact that the controls are all touch pads on the main surface instead of dials or something else on the actual control board.

I don’t have a preference as I’m not the cook. But we had electric a few years back, came with the home purchased in ‘15.

When that stovetop failed, the Mrs wanted gas (easy-peasy, capped gas line was run to location when home was built). But, of course this happened right around the holiday and with our having numerous guests planned. But availability and getting the proper ducks in a row for a gas install, just was not possible in time, yet electric or induction would be a simple swap.

Wanting something different in the interim, "until I get my gas stovetop," she elected for the induction. True, and we knew this going in, we’d need new pots & pans, but after having it a few years now, I asked her when she might wanna make that switch to gas.

She doesn’t. She said that the increase and decrease in heat is instant, just as with gas, and her dishes have cooked as well as she could have hoped. So, we’re sticking with induction. The judge has ruled.

Recently bought a house and bought a Gas range. It's fine and I like it, but I would be happy with electric as well.

I've heard true cooking aficionados prefer gas, so I bought it for basic potential resale of the home. Also, in my area, I think gas availability is more reliable. Last year's winter storm that knocked out electricity for days, the folks with gas were much less affected.

Prefer gas but, the induction is easier to clean.

When we built here, Gas was not an option and that was 2013. We had pretty much a builders grade Stainless Electric range. Within a year i had swapped it out for induction and LOVE IT! also i use Cast iron almost exclusively.....I only have one other than Cast iron

I do all the cooking. We had gas for years, but when we built our new home 3 years ago I researched the heck out of this issue and went with a Miele induction/range. It was expensive, but I intend and hope this is the last one I will ever buy. Built like a tank, and I really like the speed of cooking with induction, the ability to hold very low warming temps with ease, and the easy clean up. Get those round silicon burner covers and it will stay looking like new indefinitely.

No worries. Today’s news says the government is coming for your gas stove.

No worries. Today’s news says the government is coming for your gas stove.
THP is a political free forum.
All politics regardless of parties must be shared elsewhere.

First induction experience the other night at a newish restaurant in Mason. Seoul Korean BBQ has induction burners for each patron built-into the table. You get your hot pot and select your soup base and then items to go in the pot. That thing gets boiling in 30 seconds? There is one grill per table and it was fine but the consensus in our group of 6 was that the hot pot was the star of the show.

Once in college, we got hit by a serious ice storm. Had to cook all of our meals on a charcoal grill, burning whatever we could to eat. Power was out for over a week. Had another ice storm the following year, our new house had a gas stove and gas water heater. We were in the dark, but we could cook and take a hot shower.

All this to say, depending on your location and frequency of extreme cold, I would have as many gas appliances as possible. Stove, range, water heater and heater/furnace.
This ^^^^^

Having a gas stove, furnace, and water heater: When the power goes out I can keep the house going on nothing more than a 4KW, 5KW peak gasoline-powered generator that gets 13½ hours per four gallon tank at half load. Since it's usually running at far less than half load, it gets a good deal more than that.

Remember the Northeast Power Blackout of 2003? No problem at the Duffer Seamus household.

The only thing it won't run is the A/C.

We upgraded the well after I bought the generator. That was a problem until we upgraded the pump to a VFD (Variable-Frequency Drive) pump a few years ago. Starting and running current is so low the generator doesn't even notice it starting or running. (Our power bill in the summertime, when we water extensively, is way down, too.)

Ultimately went with gas in our house but were really tempted to get an induction range. It became an issue with electrical wiring or the electrician didn’t want to bother. I’ve been thinking about buying a single induction burner to try out and this thread is pushing me that way. All our pots and pans are compatible so why not.

Just an FYI, that probably wont amount to much.

This morning on the local news there was a little tid bit about some federal agency thinking about banning gas stoves. They are trying to go the "green" route

If that is case, then induction type heat would probably be the answer.

THP is a political free forum.
All politics regardless of parties must be shared elsewhere.
Just an FYI, that probably wont amount to much.

This morning on the local news there was a little tid bit about some federal agency thinking about banning gas stoves. They are trying to go the "green" route

If that is case, then induction type heat would probably be the answer.
We can only ask so many more times.
STOP the political commentary.

Does anyone use those 'converter' plates on their induction? I saw one being used in a video yesterday where for whatever reason they weren't putting their enamelled cast iron pot on the burner directly - but I figure this would work for non-approved pots?

This new induction top just boiled a large pot of water in less than 3 minutes. Mind blown

This new induction top just boiled a large pot of water in less than 3 minutes. Mind blown

RIP to the phrase “a watched pot never boils”..

BUSTED!!!

I replaced the Builders grade Electric one year after we moved in with an Induction Cooktop and ne ver looked back. I love how fast the change temperature is when you reduce heat

Had one in our Motorhome loved it. Will be swapping the one in our house soon

We replaced our cooktop with one a couple of years ago and love it. Even bought a portable Hestan induction cooktop to use in our outdoor kitchen. So useful and so easy to clean.

We replaced our cooktop with one a couple of years ago and love it. Even bought a portable Hestan induction cooktop to use in our outdoor kitchen. So useful and so easy to clean.

The cleaning was one of the biggest things for me, I despise cleaning a gas stove, I think induction works just as well and is a billion times easier to clean.

Back