Gas or Induction Cooktop

I much prefer cooking with gas, really not a fan of electric at all.

I've never used induction, but I really like NG. Current house is propane, and I hated it, so we switched to electric. Never thought about induction.

I much prefer cooking with gas, really not a fan of electric at all.

I’m not a fan of electric either, but electric and induction are very different in my opinion. But, like I said, I knew I would be in the minority as I know most people are so used to gas.

I’m not a fan of electric either, but electric and induction are very different in my opinion. But, like I said, I knew I would be in the minority as I know most people are so used to gas.
Induction is the glass cooktop right? Thats what I meant but said electric.

We installed an induction cooktop a year ago and love it. Very easy to clean and heats up quickly. The two negatives were having to replace a few pans that didn’t work. And being to heat up a tortilla over the gas flame. Maybe it’s a sign to eat less tortillas.

I feel like most people would prefer a gas range, and I am probably in the minority, but I much prefer an induction cooktop. I have had both, and have gas now, and I think induction is far and away better. What are your thoughts?
Gas. Because burn fuel baby! @Doubleb21

100% for my wife. We just had to run a line for my wife to have gas. We have induction in our last house ans I was fine with it. If I had to chose though I would go gas as well. You feel more connected with what you are cooking with gas. If that makes any sense haha
It’s that primal link to our ancestors.

I feel like I can control temps with gas better and I’ve always heard cast iron doesnt work on induction but since that’s been proven wrong I don’t have much of a preference.

We installed an induction cooktop a year ago and love it. Very easy to clean and heats up quickly. The two negatives were having to replace a few pans that didn’t work. And being to heat up a tortilla over the gas flame. Maybe it’s a sign to eat less tortillas.

I prefer gas to induction. But we were forced to go with induction in our new place. It is awesome and very consistent. I would go gas all things being equal but like it very much.

Having just a normal old electric range, but a brother with an induction...... I feel like induction would be my choice.
I feel like gas is probably far superior, but I sort of think I would burn the hosue down with it lol.

My brother often cooks with a paper towel under the pan for ease of clean up. I was shocked the first time I saw it.

Having just a normal old electric range, but a brother with an induction...... I feel like induction would be my choice.
I feel like gas is probably far superior, but I sort of think I would burn the hosue down with it lol.

My brother often cooks with a paper towel under the pan for ease of clean up. I was shocked the first time I saw it.
After cooking with gas my whole life, that would freak me the eff out! 😬

After cooking with gas my whole life, that would freak me the eff out! 😬

When we bought ours they told us to put a paper towel down for our cast iron so we don’t chip it. Weird.

We have gas here and induction at our second home.
Both seem fine. Though even some of the "induction rated" pans leave black marks on the cook top. :unsure:

Once in college, we got hit by a serious ice storm. Had to cook all of our meals on a charcoal grill, burning whatever we could to eat. Power was out for over a week. Had another ice storm the following year, our new house had a gas stove and gas water heater. We were in the dark, but we could cook and take a hot shower.

All this to say, depending on your location and frequency of extreme cold, I would have as many gas appliances as possible. Stove, range, water heater and heater/furnace.

I've only ever had electric. I'll stick with that I guess.🤷‍♂️ There's no possibility gas will be run in my neighborhood. I can't even get cable. I can get propane for my stove if I want to go that route. I don't. I don't want a tank in my yard.
Bury the tank. I have a 500 gallon buried in the back yard, but within driveway distance for easy filling.

I've only ever had electric. I'll stick with that I guess.🤷‍♂️ There's no possibility gas will be run in my neighborhood. I can't even get cable. I can get propane for my stove if I want to go that route. I don't. I don't want a tank in my yard.
Induction is really different than electric, but anybody with electric can have it.

Gas. It's so much easier to regulate and get a consistent cook: if induction were better in anyway, the top chefs in the world would use it.

Gas. It's so much easier to regulate and get a consistent cook: if induction were better in anyway, the top chefs in the world would use it.
They dont use nonstick either, but that is something most homes wouldnt change.
Induction at the commercial level would be REALLY expensive.

After using both, I have not seen anything easier consistency wise in gas for temps. We have gas now and did at our last house, but when we had Induction it was faster, and way easier to clean.

Gas all day long. My grill and Blackstone are all on natural gas. Only way to fly. I have a single induction burner I use for steaming shrimp outside to keep the stink out of the house.

Induction is really different than electric, but anybody with electric can have it.
Alright, color me skeptical. Does the cooktop surface get hot? I had some cranberries boil over the other week on the burner and it nearly turned into quite a mess. Using a wet sponge to scrub the stuff off of a hot glass top burner almost resulted in a melted sponge. Typically, that doesn't happen... a mess like that I mean. I'm not a candidate for "worst cook in America".

My stove, knock on wood, is fine but if it ever needs replacing, I'll look at induction whereas I wouldn't have before.

Induction is the glass cooktop right? Thats what I meant but said electric.
Induction uses magnets moving around to excite the electrons in the steel and heat the cookware. It is much different than either an electric or gas cooktop in that manner. There is no heating element and the cooktop produces no heat in an induction setup. It’s new technology.

There are some top of the line induction cooktops where you don’t even have to set the pan in a particular spot. The computer picks up where it’s at, asks you to set the temp, and then does it’s magic.

Alright, color me skeptical. Does the cooktop surface get hot? I had some cranberries boil over the other week on the burner and it nearly turned into quite a mess. Using a wet sponge to scrub the stuff off of a hot glass top burner almost resulted in a melted sponge. Typically, that doesn't happen... a mess like that I mean. I'm not a candidate for "worst cook in America".

My stove, knock on wood, is fine but if it ever needs replacing, I'll look at induction whereas I wouldn't have before.
No. It does not get hot to the touch. Only heats the pans.

No. It does not get hot to the touch. Only heats the pans.
I'd have thought there'd be some heat transfer or something. Hot pot touching the stove surface... something would get hot.

Today I learned!!!:D

Back